PDA

View Full Version : Unlearning What We Know

psykopanther
01-22-2014, 03:54 AM
I would like some input on ways to unlearn what we think we know about nature and life. I have read through some threads over the last few days (a few i would like to post comments but since they are so old, i hesitated to bring them back up). a few things that noticed was the comment "Unlearn what you know." So here we go, what things should we unlearn? are we speaking about nature specifically? if not, what else? lets start with nature.

we need to unlearn what we know about nature. so first, what do i know about nature? starting with the basics maybe?

heat rises, cold falls
heat expands, cold contracts(condenses)
Nature works in a cycle, and is the mother of recycling.
not sure on this, but seems like i heard heat attracts, cold repels? or is that backwards?
upon releasing a vacuum, a space is instantly filled.
sun rises on the east, and sets on the west.
In outer space it is cold and void of air. is there a vacuum in outer space?
warmer in the earth, colder in the air, i.e. its colder higher up in the atmosphere.

i had alot more while thinking about it today, but seemed to go blank when sitting down to type lol..
nonetheless, help me unlearn and relearn. i have spent most of my adult life becoming more rational and techy, and now i find it hard to go back to simpleness. basics.

Andro
01-22-2014, 09:40 AM
I have read through some threads over the last few days (a few i would like to post comments but since they are so old, I hesitated to bring them back up).

Please don't hesitate to resurrect older threads.

It can be very refreshing to add new questions & perspectives to the older ones.

I'll give my view on UN-learning later...

Kiorionis
01-22-2014, 04:22 PM
The method Ive been using to 'unlearn' things is more along the lines of 'relearning' through the eyes of hermeticists. in my opinion you can't unlearn things, just change your perspective on them. The way Ive been going about it is to ask about everything 'Is this True?'. Then I throw at it all my current understanding and see where the though, idea, etc fits in. Another variation of this question is 'Does it conform to the Laws of Nature?'.

as your knowledge of the Laws grows, your understanding of things will change.

Eshai
01-22-2014, 05:17 PM
I view the concept of "unlearning" similar to what Kiorionis described. More like "relearning," or rather... understanding.

What you wrote in your OP, psykopanther, was a list of facts about nature. These things, even when compiled, tell you very little about nature.

Like knowing a chemical formula. Just because you know a chemical formula does not mean you really understand what that substance is, what its potential is, or what the dangers are.

So I believe "unlearning" is a reference to removing arrogance. We are arrogant because we think we understand the universe because we can describe the universe. Not so. Our descriptions (sets of rules) of the things we experience are designed so when we apply them we can predict and manipulate things. But you can predict and manipulate a car without ever knowing how it works. Without understanding it.

So what method is there to "unlearn," "relearn," or "understand?" Try taking things apart. Start with yourself.

Ghislain
01-22-2014, 07:31 PM
you can predict and manipulate a car without ever knowing how it works. Without understanding it.

This was the point I was trying to convey in the thread "The answer to a question you may never ask" (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?3802-The-answer-to-a-question-you-may-never-ask)

We already don't know so much :confused:

Isn't unlearning just a change of perspective, a realisation that we actually know very little?

Ghislain

psykopanther
01-23-2014, 04:23 AM
Is this more in route of the learning nature theme? Taking from the great art.

"That which proves that the dark Abyss, the Chaos, or the World's First Matter, was an aqueous and humid mass, is that, besides the reasons which we have brought forward, we have a palpable instance under our eyes. The property of water is to run, to flow, so long as heat animates and holds it in its fluid state. The continuity of bodies, the adhesion of their parts, is due to the aqueous humour. It is the ciment which unites and binds the elementary parts of bodies. So long as it is not separated from them entirely, they preserve the solidity of their mass. But if fire warms these bodies beyond the degree necessary for their preservation in their state of actual being, it drives away, rarefies this humour, makes it evaporate, and the body is reduced to powder, because the bond which united its parts no longer exists.
Heat is the instrument which fire employs in its operations; it even produces by this means two effects, opposite in appearance, but conformable to the laws of Nature, and representing to us that which has taken place in the disentanglement of chaos. In separating the most tenuous, the most humid part from the most terrestrial, heat rarefies the first and condenses the second. Thus, by the separation of the heterogeneous, is made the union of the homogeneous.

Indeed, we see in the world only water, more or less condensed. Between the heavens and the earth, all is smoke, mist, vapors, pressed from the center, the interior of the earth, and elevated above its circumference in the part which we call air. The weakness of the organs of our senses does not permit us to see the subtle vapors, or emanations of celestial bodies, which we call influences, and which mingle with the vapors sublimating from sub-lunar bodies. The eyes of the mind must aid the weakness of the eyes of the body."

Andro
01-24-2014, 01:42 PM
Is this more in route of the learning nature theme? Taken from The Great Art.

It's a starter, but it doesn't specifically deal with 'unlearning', more with a general preview of certain aspects of Hermetic Doctrine.

The bit that is most (relatively) relevant to UN-learning, is IMO:

"The eyes of the mind must aid the weakness of the eyes of the body."The whole book 'The Great Art' can be found & downloaded HERE (http://www.rexresearch.com/alchemy6/pernety.pdf).