PDA

View Full Version : Antimony, Acetate Path

black
01-22-2014, 05:26 AM
Hi to all

About 20 years ago I started working with Antimony, making antimony glass and trying to extract its tincture and oil. Not having the true understanding of this material and how to work it..I stopped pursuing this avenue in total frustration and shifted my thoughts and lab work to the Amalgam Path.
Over the last few years some points of the work have become a little clearer, because of this I felt I could visit my old friend Antimony, and this time I have managed to move forward a little in the work.
Following the instructions from The TRIUMPHAL CHARIOT OF ANTIMONY by Basil Valentine with commentary by Dr Theodore Kerkringius I have extracted a tincture and a small amount of an oily substance, possibly oil of antimony ???
I used vinegar to open the antimony and distilled any excess, then spirit of wine is added to the antimony to extract the tincture.
When the tincture is separated from the spirit of wine and the tincture rectified and cleaned, what is left is a small quantity of a reddish oily substance.
Basil Valentine,Dr Bacstrom, and other authors suggest mixing the oil with a quantity of highly rectified spirit of wine and using this as a cordial with a much larger amount of wine, broth, etc, as a gentle medicine for the whole body. Ingested only in very small amounts !
The problem that I am having is that when I add the highly rectified spirit of wine to the oil they will not mix as they did previously.

The oil just sits at the bottom of the flask !!!

Has anyone else encountered this problem ???

Regards
Black.

theFool
01-22-2014, 12:54 PM
I used vinegar to open the antimony and distilled any excess, then spirit of wine is added to the antimony to extract the tincture.
Hello, I have two questions. Did your vinegar turn reddish upon extraction? You extracted crude antimony or antimony glass?

A possible explanation of the red tincture is that the vinegar dissolved some iron impurities from the antimony. Iron acetate is red and soluble in ethanol. I know this explanation is mundane and not 'fancy' but it is quite plausible.

black
01-23-2014, 12:38 AM
Hello, I have two questions. Did your vinegar turn reddish upon extraction? You extracted crude antimony or antimony glass?

Hi The Fool

Thank you for your interest in this thread, the more questions I get the more I have to think and that helps my learning process also.

No.The tincture appears to remain in the Antimony . When the Antimony has the spirit of wine on it, then you see the tincture being drawn out and colouring the spirit.

black
01-23-2014, 04:45 AM
You extracted crude antimony or antimony glass?

Yes. I am extracting from antimony glass.

theFool
01-23-2014, 01:05 PM
I have experimented with vinegar on raw antimony and usually it can extract a red color. However, upon researching it more, I believe now that it was simply iron acetate due to iron impurities in the antimony ore. I haven't ever attempted to make antimony glass. The fact that the vinegar did not turn red in your case is quite interesting. If it was iron acetate, it should dissolve in vinegar. I don't know how explain it, maybe you really have some antimony oil there.
Also, keep in mind that iron can easily contaminate the antimony in the process of glass formation if you heat it in an iron vessel or use iron rod to stir.

black
01-24-2014, 12:28 PM
I have experimented with vinegar on raw antimony and usually it can extract a red color. However, upon researching it more, I believe now that it was simply iron acetate due to iron impurities in the antimony ore. I haven't ever attempted to make antimony glass. The fact that the vinegar did not turn red in your case is quite interesting. If it was iron acetate, it should dissolve in vinegar. I don't know how explain it, maybe you really have some antimony oil there.
Also, keep in mind that iron can easily contaminate the antimony in the process of glass formation if you heat it in an iron vessel or use iron rod to stir.

I used a pure oxide of antimony to make the glass, no iron at all in the process.

black
02-14-2014, 07:00 AM
After some weeks of reading and time in the lab I have found that if you add 1 or 2 drops of vinegar to the spirit of wine, then the reddish oily substance will readily mix with it again.

Some authors suggest that after adding the few drops of vinegar, the spirit of wine can be distilled 2 or 3 times.

This may help in some way.

Has anyone on the Forum worked this way ?

theFool
02-16-2014, 11:22 AM
A quote from B.V. written in his "Last Will":

There is made out of VITRUM ANTIMONII with distilled Vinegar a
sweet extraction, let the ACETUM be separated from it: on the
remainder pour Spirit of wine, which must be extracted, and the
pure from the impure separated. This sweet extraction draw over,
let the Spirit of wine by cohobation be often drawn from it, and
that powder may be reduced to a glorious oil of Antimony.

black
02-17-2014, 04:47 AM
Thank you The Fool

With Antimony I usually just work with "The TRIUMPHAL CHARIOT "

But here again with this quote you have supplied from "Last Will" appears to be one of Basil's basic processes.

I love the way he makes it all sound so simple.