PDA

View Full Version : My Address

hexahedron
02-05-2014, 04:58 AM
Maybe not so formal as that. I thought I should write an introduction.

Life got a bit crazy but things are settling and I plan to be more active.

My areas of expertise lie in the fields of the study of languages and the study of computation.

Areas of interest include geometry and symbolic representation of ideas.

I have my own notions of how I would like to approach the study of alchemy, but I am open to other people's interpretations as well.

I wish to work collaboratively where possible! People working together tend to have a high capacity for progression and accomplishment in my mind.

I like to work with really basic concepts. I guess it would be similar to Scientific Lemmas (Lemmas are a small set of basic assumptions that can be used to systematically build to conclusions... I guess that is a simple way of putting it, but feel free to search and get a better explanation...)

To me, Alchemy is the ancestor of Physics and Chemistry.

If I believe that my observations are valid, as a scientist for example, I have a hard time discrediting the observations of any other individual, present or past.

All of this aside, the problems posed in Alchemy are intriguing and I spend much of my time deciphering the inner workings of the world around me.

I'm usually not this formal, but the title should indicate that this is a special occasion.

Questions and comments are welcome!

Kiorionis
02-05-2014, 05:18 AM
Hey there hexahedron,

My areas of expertise lie in the fields of the study of languages and the study of computation.

I'm a fan of languages too :)

I like to work with really basic concepts. I guess it would be similar to Scientific Lemmas (Lemmas are a small set of basic assumptions that can be used to systematically build to conclusions... I guess that is a simple way of putting it, but feel free to search and get a better explanation...)

This sounds very similar to the system of scientific discovery proposed by Francis Bacon in his Novum Organum. Are you familiar with this work?

I'm usually not this formal, but the title should indicate that this is a special occasion.

Welcome to the forums! :)

theFool
02-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Welcome!

To me, Alchemy is the ancestor of Physics and Chemistry. Do you think that the "children" of Alchemy stand up to the height of their father? To me, it seems that they have a long road in front of them...

Awani
02-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Welcome.

:cool:

hexahedron
02-05-2014, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I don't believe ice heard of Novum Organum. I'm going to have to do a bit of reading. It sounds very interesting! Thank you for pointing me towards it!

I suppose my computer science type of background id's what I'm starting from. That and the scientific method. I don't think the scientific method is perfect and I think of science as the modern day church. If we buy into the basic lemmas or basic truths, we can draw logical conclusions based on these basic assumptions. Now to find the few fundamental, basic, simplest truths to use as a baseline!

Other methodologies that run parallel (or even perpendicular) to logical proof are very much of interest to me as well!

hexahedron
02-05-2014, 03:24 PM
Hmmm this is a tough question.

What I meant by that statement is that it is entirely possible that we have already discovered some amazing things that were squished out over time and that ideas that are considered strange according to our modern (maybe scientific) standards might not be so strange and could actually be correct.

In short I can't throw out all truths except my own. Every point of view holds one piece of the puzzle in some sense I guess.

When you say father, who do you mean?

hexahedron
02-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the welcome!

theFool
02-05-2014, 03:45 PM
When you say father, who do you mean? Alchemy :)

Salazius
02-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Welcome :)

Krisztian
02-05-2014, 09:58 PM
Do you think that the "children" of Alchemy stand up to the height of their father? To me, it seems that they have a long road in front of them.

Seems so to me as well.

All of this aside, the problems posed in Alchemy are intriguing and I spend much of my time deciphering the inner workings of the world around me.

That's great!

Welcome!

black
02-05-2014, 11:21 PM
Welcome Hexahedron.

hexahedron
02-06-2014, 02:58 AM
Who knows what children have and can accomplish! I'm excited to find out. Maybe it's all been discovered long ago once already!

hexahedron
02-06-2014, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the welcome black!

hexahedron
02-06-2014, 03:00 AM
Thanks Krisztian!

hexahedron
02-06-2014, 03:02 AM
Thanks Salacious! I will have to check out your blog!

hexahedron
02-08-2014, 03:56 AM
I just read through some stuff any Novum Organism and noticed mention that it was the basis for the scientific method which I am definitely familiar with. Still very cool. The process of creating lists of situations with, without and with varying degrees of a phenomenon is actually really similar to thought processes I've gone through in the past to reevaluate things I "already know" for example. .. things like.. I was doing labour work in Australia picking zucchini and peppers. .. bent over and crab walking along. The sun was burning my neck. ..I thought how can I make it cooler. ..so I was thinking about basic physics. . Hot air rises abd cool air congress in to replace it. .voila, wind! I thought. .. the air is saturated with wind. .. like a mountain full of snow. .. if I could just add a little more heat in a sweeping upwards motion I could cause an avalanche of heat. .. so I concentrated on pushing heat out of my back ib spiraling vortices and visualized it. Still not sure if the sun made me delirious or if it worked but it got windy abd the clouds swept in. The basic thought process at each step was kind of like that. ..where do we have wj nd... where do we have motion.. how could I trip up a larger motion from a smaller one...

Salazius
02-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Salasious ? Me ? :D:D:D

hexahedron
02-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Lol. Yes. Typo. Maybe it was auto correct but that's hilarious :)