PDA

View Full Version : Platonic Solids and Elemental Natures

hexahedron
02-07-2014, 04:57 PM
I've read that the platonic solids are associated with different elements, but does anyone know the reason for this pairing? Also does anyone know of shapes or symbols (like the triangles used with the elements) for the cardinal fixed or mutable signs?

What I have seen so far:
Earth - hexahedron - downwards pointing triangle with horizontal line through it
Air - octahedron - upwards pointing triangle with line through it
water - icosahedron - downwards pointing triangle
fire - tetrahedron - upwards pointing triangle
Aether - dodecahedron

Also I kind of think of air and earth as parent and fire and water as child symbols. Is there a more standard way of associating these two pairs of opposites?

Kiorionis
02-07-2014, 06:02 PM
Also I kind of think of air and earth as parent and fire and water as child symbols. Is there a more standard way of associating these two pairs of opposites?

From what I understand, the common way of viewing them is Air and Fire as the Active elements, and Water and Earth as the Passive elements.

hexahedron
02-07-2014, 08:52 PM
Yeah. I think they are marked as masculine/+ and feminine/-
father son and mother daughter

Kiorionis
02-08-2014, 12:03 AM
Yeah. I think they are marked as masculine/+ and feminine/-
father son and mother daughter

So if Air and Earth are the Father and Mother elements, how are their children Fire and/or Water generated out of them?
And how does that relate to the Emerald Tablet of Hermes?

The Sun is Its Father, the Moon Its Mother
The Air carries It in its belly, and the Earth is Its nurse.

To carry something in the belly sounds more feminine to me..

I'm not so sure how the correspondences were generated, but I believe it goes back to ancient Egypt.
Anyways, here's a picture :)

http://www-tc.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/blogs/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2011/12/platonicElements.jpg

hexahedron
02-08-2014, 03:39 AM
Masculine being positively charged abd feminine negative
maybe more in a Latin sense than gender/sex sense
air is the blade in tarot right?

If you have air atop earth you get fire because the air moves away from the earth which is stationery. Water on top of fire makes earth since they create an equilibrium of contract and expand.

I suppose the parent child relationship isn't so much genitive (creating/birthing) but more of a symbolic representation
the air triangle symbol has a line through it like a capital A. So maybe air is an upper case symbol haha.
other ideas are mother earth. Father im heaven. First passionate reckless youth. Emotional daughter.
They all have stereotypical interpretations in a broader sense... kind of cliche so we know they are true.... to put it boldly

hexahedron
02-08-2014, 03:40 AM
Is there any reason these shapes were chosen or is it just a historical truth?