PDA

View Full Version : Question: How would the Alchemist go about Alchemy if they lived in space?

DonSweet
02-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Serious question.

I'm curious to hear responses on how an Alchemist might practice Alchemy if it was --

A) Not in this solar system.

B) In something like a ship that wasn't part of any planetary system.

hexahedron
02-12-2014, 02:47 PM
The planetary symbols are often used as a convention for different materials. I think the underlying principles of alchemy are a bit more universal than just our solar system. But then again you never know. Maybe the alchemical documents that survive are encoded to our solar system. Maybe for a reason.

I think if you think more in terms of the elements the ideas are more generalizable.

Also maybe there is something special to be learned in the unique configuration of our solar system, such as number of planets orbit orientations, etc. If you find something similar somewhere else you can apply what you know about our home.

Ghislain
02-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Perhaps it is all a matter of consciousness. We create what we believe and here we can do that collectively by consensus, in another place a new consensus.

Maybe that is why the texts through the ages are so confusing. It could be that texts are needed when one doesn't have faith in oneself.

Is there actually anywhere else than here and now?

Ghislain

DonSweet
02-13-2014, 11:08 PM
Interesting responses. Thank you.

I suppose part of the question is what alterations in energy, energetic responses or changes in non-physical aspects, if any, would there be to elements, minerals, substances or tinctures, elixirs and Alchemical products when not influenced by traditional planetary bodies?

Isn't iron, iron even out in space? Isn't silver, silver? Even energetically?

As for Ghislain's question (and a good one), "Is there actually anywhere else ...?" Isn't it at least partially incumbent on alchemists now to pose these questions for the sake of future generations of alchemists? Isn't that what previous generations did for us? Haven't they suggested we pose questions as a rudimentary part of our Alchemical exploration?

After all, it's inevitable ... save a cataclysm ... that future generations will find themselves in space. This might be a premature pondering, but I feel it's relevant.