PDA

View Full Version : Custom Glassware

Eshai
02-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Does anyone have any good recommendations on where I can purchase glassware? Has anyone been given any good recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Andro
02-14-2014, 10:26 PM
My personal recommendation is to have a good glassblower on speed dial :)

The most dedicated glass-using Alchemists I have met, are having their glassware custom made by professional glassblowers.

I've recently had some weird (=very uncommon) custom-designed hybrid-wares made for me by an 80 year old Swiss glassblowing Master. That guy can make ANYTHING!

For the more simple stuff, I hear eBay is quite a good resource, although I've never used it.

I know others here are using eBay, so they would be more helpful with that.

I used to shop at a lab supplies wholesale warehouse. I don't know how it works in the US.

black
02-15-2014, 05:42 AM
The understanding of , and the working with glass is an art in itself !

A glass blower like the one that Androgynus has mentioned is a godsend
for anyone seriously contemplating lab work.

Illen A. Cluf
02-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Does anyone have any good recommendations on where I can purchase glassware? Has anyone been given any good recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I bought most of my glassware from United Glass Technologies - by mail. Everything has always arrived intact, and the prices are quite reasonable.
http://www.unitedglasstech.com/

Illen A. Cluf
02-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Check their current monthly speciial - a complete distillation setup for only $219.

http://www.unitedglasstech.com/Monthly_Specials.htm

Includes:

1 x 1000ml Round bottom Flask

1 x 500ml Round bottom Flask

1 x Vacuum Adapter (Bent, 105 degree)

1 x Distilling Adapter (3-Way)

1 x 200mm Liebig Condenser (distilling column)

1 x Threaded Thermometer Adapter (w/Nylon bushing top)

1 x 0C to +150C Thermometer (full length)

1 x Medium Size Kit Stand (5" x 8" Stand, Rod 20" high)

1 x Metal Utility Clamp (to hold the entire kit onto the stand/rod)

Axismundi000
02-15-2014, 01:47 PM
I have a distillation train from these guys, it does the job nicely. I would suggest ordering a spare boiling flask even though I haven't broken any of the glassware I got from UGT.

lwowl
02-15-2014, 04:22 PM

Thanks in advance.

For any custom glass work I go to: http://www.heartmagic.com/EssentialDistiller.html

Gary does great custom work and repairs as well as making the steam distillation kits. I have the two liter set up and I use it all the time with herbal essences and to raise the proof of ethanol spirits.

I've found some great deals at ebay especially for used heating mantles.

Draconisnova
02-16-2014, 12:19 AM
Find good glassblowers is very hard and usually any custom glassware is very expensive, i know by extensive experience on those matters, since most of my glassware is custom made.

I will suggest to check for any local hobbyist glassblowers or lampworking in your area if what you want is not very complex, Usually an experienced hobbyist can make very good scientific glassware. I try all since glassblowing companies to hobbyist glassblowers, it all depends from what you want, and the complexity of your design, or above all how much money you have to spend, glass works aren't cheap.

Eshai
02-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Thanks for all the replies, as well as the links. Very helpful. =)

thoth
02-18-2014, 12:41 AM

Thanks in advance.

What part of the world do you live in ?

I recently found a local glassblower who makes everything by hand so custom designs are almost the same price as standard items.
I will be picking up my first order from him this week so am hoping it works out

Eshai
02-18-2014, 02:21 PM
I'm in the US.

Axismundi000
02-19-2014, 01:31 PM
I have ordered various things from US so you will have lower post and packing costs.

thoth
02-19-2014, 08:22 PM

My local glassblower turned out great.
100 euros for a 250ml soxhtlet extractor. Thimble extra. 120 euros for a 3 litre alembic.

Anyone in UK or Ireland want details let me know.

Axismundi000
02-19-2014, 10:31 PM

My local glassblower turned out great.
100 euros for a 250ml soxhtlet extractor. Thimble extra. 120 euros for a 3 litre alembic.

Anyone in UK or Ireland want details let me know.

Having just paid over 100 on the postage alone from USA please give me the details for when I next need stuff.

thoth
02-20-2014, 12:00 AM
Having just paid over 100 on the postage alone from USA please give me the details for when I next need stuff.

This guy can make anything - a real craftsman. I could not believe the quality -really top notch.
You can specify what type of joints you want on your flasks or Alembics, recievers.

I was buying from Neubert up to now who are more expensive and much slower. I only discovered this guy recently.

His custom stuff is practically the same price as "standard" items,
He had my order done in less than a week

http://www.eirglass.ie/contact/4578296321

I only thought of it afterwards but I'm sure he could have made my 5 litre boiling flask with a second opening into which I could insert a temperature probe or thermometer.

thoth
02-20-2014, 12:28 AM
Just thinking this guy would easily make the device shown on first page of this thread. Not sure if it would be a whole lot more efficient than the diy version described using bottles etc, but just in case anyone is serious about replicating it

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?3924-Urbigerus-Furnace-amp-Related-Works

Axismundi000
02-20-2014, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the info, I will give these guy a try when I need some more stuff.

MarkostheGnostic
04-02-2014, 02:42 AM

Thanks in advance.

I just made contact with a glassblower on www.shroomery.org, where he calls himself LiquidGlass, and he says he is interested in constructing alchemical vessels for people. His Facebook page is Stubby Glass https://www.facebook.com/casey.ferran.7?fref=ts Check out his pieces, they are works of art. I can't imagine that he wouldn't be able to construct retorts, pelicans, or two-piece alembics. His e-mail is: liquidglass707@gmail.com I corresponded with him back and forth a few times, so please make contact with him and inquire about what you want and how much he charges (I want to know too).

Draconisnova
04-05-2014, 12:48 PM