PDA

View Full Version : Morning Elixer -- A Recipe

DonSweet
02-27-2014, 04:46 PM
The condition of the alchemist, particularly at the start of the say should be considered rather important. This is true in all three of mind, body and spirit.

In the 1970's I was taught how to "properly" brew tea by Bill Sullivan, the father of a British friend. He was a war period gentleman, having served in the Royal Navy on a corvette. He was a product of The Depression and a machinist and engineer, with a vast, worldly experience both good and bad. I'd spent high school and a couple years after as a friend to his son. He was a bit "crusty," but had a truly good heart and passed in the early 2000's. Several of his workshop tools were added to my own collection and now reside in my basement shop. His spirit lives on both through those tools and my consumption of tea.

Having strong tea every morning is both a tradition and a virtual physical/spiritual/emotional necessity for me for the better part of forty years. I am not a morning person. A "chemical" jolt is required to reinvigorate me to take on the new day. It is my version of "a hearty breakfast."

Recently, having regenerated my active participation in alchemical manifestation, I've added a brew of rosemary to my traditional morning elixir, which I cover below. But generally, the basis is black tea, and inexpensive generic tea from almost any grocery store will suffice.

I consider this morning ritual of brewing and consuming tea a very spiritual experience (and have for many years). Every morning is not just a metaphor for rebirth. Spiritually it is an actual rebirth. You lay yourself down the night before and allow your body and spirit to separate. Your spirit renews itself while your body rests and heals. Also, your mind both deals with its daytime experiences and stresses as well as -- hopefully -- resting also. The morning recombines your base elements, mind, body and spirit, as a renewed being in a minor rebirth.

As you can probably imagine, I don't generally just let life happen. I think things through. I consider every aspect of life sacred, important and precious. Now, obviously, this is theoretical and much harder to practice than the statement implies. It's far easier for "life's raft" to drift on the river than it is to navigate it.

My personal challenge has been to overcome mornings, this rebirth, particularly into a world that poses so many challenges. "Motivation" is a key ingredient. In my early years, emotional and psychological motivation was lacking. I grew up in both an emotionally stressed household, and a social environment that was both personally degrading and psychologically destructive. Many of us experienced this. Often, we "normalize" these traumas, rationalizing that, "that's-just-the-way-things-are," and this can be true in reality, but it does not negate the trauma.

Mornings can also be indicative of your personality, whether they are hard or you are "perky" when you first wake up. This elixir helps both conditions. In the case of "perky" it slows you down for more considered contemplation. If your mornings are hard, it helps to walk you through that considered contemplation.

My morning "recombination" has evolved through this literally chemical (or technically alchemical) process. My "sludge tea," as it has come to be named, is the chemical inducement to stimulate a physical motivation, which reinforces the emotional and psychological motivation.

Interestingly, several years ago I learned that Tibetan monks nearly duplicate this morning ritual, with carefully prepared tea, mellowed and sweetened with goat's milk, wherein there is also prayer as a part of its consumption. In the same way, while I consume my brew, I contemplate the day and even often make out my daily Do List. As I type this, I am consuming the concoction in the recipe below in the early morning hours.

This is why there's a history attached to this recipe. This is not simply a matter of combining and preparing ingredients. There is literally a spiritual ritual and purpose attached to it. In fact, the spiritual aspects are far more important than the precise recipe. More than that, the "precision" of the recipe lays in the spiritual aspects rather than the physical recipe itself.

This is also why I'm sharing this formula with an alchemical audience, both for the purpose of informing like-minded people, but also to share my interpretation of the Great Art of Alchemy itself.

I do not see Alchemy as a method for manifesting spiritual things through the use of a physical laboratory and its related apparatus. I see Alchemy as a way to manifest physical things through the use and participation in a rich spiritual life.

This is an important distinction.

It is also a fallacy that is a result, in my opinion, of the Western or European cultural influence on The Art. Unarguably, Western Culture is grounded in the physical world. Although a potentially vast discussion in another context, there would be little argument that Western/European culture is obsessed with physical manifestations of every sort. In that way, practice of The Art has been heavily influenced. In that a large portion of the interpretation of the Adepts and Masters, it has been taken from the physical manifestations of their work, not the spiritual manifestations which is their true source.

In other words, even a cursory examination of literature recounting Alchemy of the last couple hundred years reveals a struggle to understand alchemical products and their spiritual ramifications through work in the lab, rather than understanding the spiritual aspects before even entering the lab.

How does this all relate to a simple recipe for morning tea?

Easy. Without a basic understanding of the underpinnings of Alchemy itself, all work that stems from that foundation has the potential to be useless, or at the very least, a high percentage of wasted effort in the wrong direction.

If one reads past modern interpretations of The Art, and other spiritual paths for that matter, one discovers that Life is a result of Spiritual Manifestation, not the other way around. Often we (and I include myself), make the mistake of believing that we are "discovering" our Spiritual Life from the platform of our Physical Life.

This is backwards.

Our "larger selves" are spiritual in nature. Our five senses fool us into believing that our point of observation is from the physical plane. It's not. Those five senses are merely limited vibrational aspects of a much more complex non-physical being.

At night, we shed those senses and re-enter our natural state ... that of spiritual. In the morning, as I've stated, we "recombine" with those senses to spend the day interacting with and interpreting the focused vibrations of physical manifestation. We re-enter and re-inhabit our "sack of goo" -- which Native Americans refer to as a "robe" -- and begin the Great Adventure all over again.

What makes this all so precious? What makes this process sacred?

It is both unique ... individuated ... and it is temporary ... never to be repeated in the entire existence of The Universe.

Pretty profound for the start of an average day, yes?

But that is the nature of it. It is a ride on the most unique roller coaster imaginable, and one where the ticket price is high, demanding appreciation. Your participation is demanding and taxing, making your appreciation -- thankfulness -- utterly critical.

There is no such thing as an "average day." That is a fallacy of culture. That is a pre-manufactured illusion. This mechanism you inhabit, this "lens" used to interpret vibration through the five senses, is a limited, temporary, precious experience. Whatever your negative interpretations of Life, whatever drudgery or belaboring stress you may feel, every millisecond you draw breath is precious.

Contemplate that each and every morning. Plan every day's adventure in a positive, productive manner. Seek the joy of it, despite the negativity ... in fact, seek joy IN the negativity.

That's what makes your "morning ritual" important. These are the things I try and contemplate with each morning's rebirth and recombination. At this point, I'm using fairly normal kitchen utensils, but at one point I will be applying this recipe to laboratory apparatus, namely a Soxhlet system ... but for now, this is the elixir I've come to consume while I ponder those things ...

What you'll need:

A boiling pot, capable of boiling at least 1500ml (with a lid -- either glass or stainless steel)

2 - 600ml mugs (approximately) I currently use beaker mugs with handles.

Teaspoon (not tablespoon).

Generic Black Tea Bags -- You may use English or Irish Breakfast Tea, but specialty teas are not necessary. I use the least expensive stringless bags.

Raw Rosemary (needles) -- I have both health-store-purchased and some my mother grew.

Sugar -- You may use refined white sugar or raw, whatever your preference. If it is honey, I have not yet used it for this concoction, but may in the future.

Table Cream or Light Cream -- Do not use half-and-half or milk regardless of your perception of low-fat dairy beverages.

Fine Mesh Tea Strainer

To begin --

Your pot should be dedicated to your elixir, exclusively. "Legacy" tea is an important element. You will be maintaining a certain level of previously used tea bags in your pot. My original teacher, Bill Sullivan, used loose tea and his "legacy" was a well-used pot literally encrusted with previous brewings. This is not a matter of sloppiness or bad habit, but intentional for both flavoring and in a spiritual sense.

For your initial pot, use at least four tea bags. For myself, I'd use three of the stringless, which appears to be approximately the same volume. If you're using the "flow-through" style which is slightly more tea, stick with four anyway.

Measure out 800-900ml of water. Naturally, your selection of water is important as it is the foundation of your elixir. I have a good well with tasty, naturally mineralized water, but select any water you desire that is clean and natural ... and the closer to the original source is best. This eliminates city water and even bottled water if you can avoid it. Well water (from a well you know), rain water (properly collected) or any other natural source is fine. You may even distill your water to "purify" it, although natural well water is "purified" by the Earth and will contain Her nutrients. Rain water, particularly thunder storm water can be excellent for those "special mornings."

Fill your pot and place your tea bags in it. Bring it to a rolling boil. Pay attention to how this comes about. Often, how your water boils will be an indication of how your day will unfold. If you are distracted and it over-boils or you find yourself staring at it waiting, it may be indicative of your coming day.

Once boiled, turn the heat down to its lowest setting and allow the tea to brew at least five minutes ... in other words, walk away. Don't get anxious and simply pour the tea. Let it brew. If it turns out to be half an hour, it's no big deal. In fact, that can be another indicator for your day ... how long your tea brews or steeps.

Properly steeped, strain into your first mug, approximately 550-600ml. Add two-and-a-half heaping teaspoons of sugar and stir thoroughly. Yes, that much. Naturally, you'll come to know your own taste and flavor tolerance, but the combination of both black tea and rosemary can be bitter. This will cut that bitterness, as will the cream added later. It is also symbolic of how we balance of the bitterness of life with its sweet experiences.

In the future as you've built up used tea bags in your pot, you will settle on how many bags to use to suit your taste. Were I to use "normal" stringed tea bags, I would use three. As it is with the stringless, they are paired and I use two (equaling about four stringed bags). Occasionally, when I think I need it, I'll increase to three, which also adjust the sugar and cream. You will come to know what you like. As you use your pot, you will remove excess older bags. How many and how often will also be individuated.

Now that your tea is brewed, add approximately one teaspoon of rosemary. The needles should cover the surface of the tea in your mug. Be generous, but not over-indulgent. Again, a representation of balance. Needle size can vary, so too will your teaspoon measurement.

Here you have a choice, if your mug is not heatable, use another [small] pot. Personally, I use [Pyrex] beakers with handles specifically marketed for this purpose, boiling. Bring the rosemary/tea combination to a rolling boil and again reduce the heat to minimum. Being a pine needles, rosemary will take longer to steep and penetrate, so again, walk away. Allow at least ten minutes, if not twenty for a proper brew. The best indication will be that the majority of needles will saturate and sink.

Remember that there are specific reasons for each step performed in each specific fashion. By boiling a second time with the sugar present, a mild caramelization of the sugar will occur. If you happen to forget the boil (momentarily) more caramelization will occur, changing the end result. This may be desired, or it may not.

Your tea is now ready for cream and final balancing. As you progress and evolve in the personalization of your elixir you will adjust the amount of sugar in the previous step to your taste. This step is where you adjust flavor to the cream and you can make minor adjustments to sweetness. Add approximately 80-100ml of cream, then test with a sip to your own taste. Add either cream or sugar depending on your sensation. You will find a "duality" to any bitterness, which can be adjusted with either ingredient. This stage is highly individualized. If too sweet, add unsweetened tea from your pot, then retest (sip) for both sweetness and creaminess.

This is also the stage where you enter your "meditation" for the day. you have begun to commune with your elixir, literally consuming it. Remember, you are what you eat, and the elixir is now literally becoming a part of your physical manifestation. You have contemplated its creation and you are now consuming and adjusting it to your individuality.

You may even feel a "wave" through your body with your first sip. Both your physical body and your spiritual self are becoming one with the elixir. Once balanced, there should be a True Joy in its consumption. Hopefully, you will have the time to savor the entire brew. This process should not be rushed, neither should you avoid the "new day" process of transitioning and planning that day while you sip your elixir.

Concentrate, meditate, plan and literally embrace joy as you consume it.

I'm happy for any discussion or feedback.

-- Don

bleeding yolk
08-27-2014, 10:27 PM
......go easy on the rosemary though.......there have been incidences of fatal poisonings , albeit at high dosages..........

DonSweet
08-28-2014, 04:48 AM
Thanks ...

It's a teaspoon per mug (8-900 ml) and usually only one mug per day.

bleeding yolk
08-28-2014, 04:15 PM
Thanks ...

It's a teaspoon per mug (8-900 ml) and usually only one mug per day.

....that shouldn't be a problem for a healthy adult...........:cool:

DonSweet
11-18-2014, 03:53 PM
Just recently added Sage to the recipe.

Yummy.

archerner
09-17-2015, 03:07 PM
I'm doing spagyric work with regular pine needles. They have 5x the vitamin c than lemons. Plus I live deep in piney woods texas and since they're evergreen it's pretty much an unlimited supply. There are poisonous pines so do some research before harvesting.

Huge tea guy here, thanks for the info :)

Voltaire
12-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Very comprehensive and informative post. Thank you.

just as a sidenote:
Tea was used as a method of warfare .. See more (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=dltVAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT54&lpg=PT54&dq=breakfast+tea+poison&source=bl&ots=l6XS0ZB0lK&sig=yiOzqGUFLvl1x-07yh62u4suwKA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-jYir_9rQAhXEQyYKHWjBAgQQ6AEISDAH#v=onepage&q=breakfast%20tea%20poison&f=false)

Modern Tea could potentially contain Flouride (highly poisonous, and will naturally prevent you from being able to carry out the Great Work permanently) .. See more (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2376032/Could-cheap-tea-bags-make-ill-Study-reveals-contain-high-fluoride-levels-damage-teeth-bones-muscles.html)

Not to mention Black tea (breakfast tea) has a Tar-like substance in it called 'Tannin' ..
The dental and Tea industries will tell you Tannin and Flouride are "good for you", I'm sure you'll want to do your own research.

/preach (I'm sure no-one's going to give up Tea and Toothpaste anytime soon)