PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Floyd
04-01-2014, 04:56 AM
Hey everyone!

My name's simply TJ. I'm really excited about becoming a member of such an interesting learning environment. I hope to learn as much as I can while I am here, and eventually become knowledgable enough to teach others in the way of alchemy.

I am only a beginner in Alchemy, and I don't know too much, yet. I am also a practicing blacksmith of 8 years, and a senior in college studying mathematics and physics. You might say that my interest in alchemy and smithing stem from my deep love and interest for math and science. I am mainly drawn by the alchemist's way of thinking to develop a deeper love and understand of our universe. Scientists today don't think the same way they did several centuries ago, and I want to learn and understand the way Newton, Bacon, Boyle, and others percieved alchemy and the sciences. Thus, my interests span the realms of mathematical alchemy, applications of modern physics, metallurgy, and alchemic philosophy, and theological alchemy.

So, I'm really looking forward to this new journey of learning and personal growth. I'm really excited that there's others out there that think the way I do, and that I can connect with. See you all on the discussion boards!

Andro
04-01-2014, 05:24 AM
Welcome TJ !

Also, just a suggestion (and you surely don't have to take it), but I'm wondering, wouldn't it be more convenient to just use, for example, TJ (or Floyd) as your username, rather than tjfloyd.sci?

I may get confused whether you are a person or a website :) (Just kidding...)

What do you think?

Also, it is IMO a very special, challenging and worthy task to unify Alchemy and Science.

I believe they weren't divided and fragmented in the distant past as they are today...

DonSweet
04-01-2014, 06:13 AM
Welcome TJ.

Fairly new myself.

About age 10-12 they called me "DJ."

black
04-01-2014, 07:46 AM
Hi TJ.

It's about time we had another Newton, Bacon or Boyle.

Perhaps this is your calling?

Welcome to Alchemy Forums.

Awani
04-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Welcome.

:cool:

theFool
04-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Welcome.

Scientists today don't think the same way they did several centuries ago, and I want to learn and understand the way Newton, Bacon, Boyle, and others percieved alchemy and the sciences. Indeed, the mainstream science of today is nothing but a technical application of some scientific laws given from "above". Knowledge is fragmented and very few scientists understand what they apply. Even fewer can produce original research. The element of intuition has been expelled from science. There is a tendency to stick to mathematical formulas and ignore the models from which they are derived, thus blocking any further theoretical advancement.

Floyd
04-01-2014, 01:29 PM
Thanks for making me feel welcome everyone! Also, that's a great idea! Thanks Androgynus. Please don't laugh at me too much, but how do you do that? I'm kinda new at forums and not very technologically inclined! Haha

Krisztian
04-01-2014, 02:00 PM
. . . . to develop a deeper love and understand of our universe.

That's been my modus operandi.

Scientists today don't think the same way they did several centuries ago, and I want to learn and understand the way Newton, Bacon, Boyle, and others percieved alchemy and the sciences.

While that is true in the mainstream [social identity], one may be surprised when you take out one of these modern "scientists" to learn that aside from their professional persona, they do think and explore such things as alchemy. But oftentimes it's a 'career killer' to speak as such openly.

What was once religion, now is science, both protect their beliefs and agendas.

Welcome!

I hope you enjoy your experience here.

Andro
04-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Also, that's a great idea! Thanks Androgynus.
Please don't laugh at me too much, but how do you do that?
I'm kinda new at forums and not very technologically inclined! Haha

Very easy :)

Post here (on this thread) what new username you wish to have instead of the current one, and we'll take care of the rest.

May I suggest TJ or Floyd ? This way you'll still feel comfortable and familiar with people addressing you...

But you can pick any username you wish that you feel OK with and that's also easy on the keyboard (to address you), and we'll change it.

It may take a bit, but that's it.

Floyd
04-01-2014, 02:47 PM
Awesome! Yeah just make it TJ. I'm cool with that.

Andro
04-01-2014, 02:56 PM
OK.

You'll be notified either here, in PM or via email when it's done.

Awani
04-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Awesome! Yeah just make it TJ. I'm cool with that.

It has to be 3 letters minimum to work in the system. So Floyd or TJFloyd, tjfloyd... etc.

Floyd
04-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Haha, just Floyd is okay. Thanks a lot, man!

Awani
04-01-2014, 09:47 PM
Done.

Floyd
04-02-2014, 09:59 PM
There is a tendency to stick to mathematical formulas and ignore the models from which they are derived, thus blocking any further theoretical advancement.

This is very true! Although mathematics makes great abstract models of a system, there's still the intuitive basis from which they're formed. Stephen Hawking himself said "Even if there is only one possible unified theory, it is just a set of rules and equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations and makes a universe for them to describe?" It's ignorant to generate a mathematical model and not investigate the whole system in depth from the most fundamental to the most complex.