PDA

View Full Version : Can You Really Make A Philosopher's Stone?

Taikamiya
07-02-2014, 08:50 PM
Can you really make a philosophers stone? or are all those old scrambled texts filled with meaning just metaphors for something greater? I have only studied alchemy for a year now and it may seem like idiotic question in some of your eyes. But really. Has this substance ever ACTUALLY been made in real life. I just want a simple answer.

JDP
07-03-2014, 12:50 AM
Can you really make a philosophers stone? or are all those old scrambled texts filled with meaning just metaphors for something greater? I have only studied alchemy for a year now and it may seem like idiotic question in some of your eyes. But really. Has this substance ever ACTUALLY been made in real life. I just want a simple answer.

It depends on whose opinion you base the answer to that question. Leaving the assurances of its reality by the alchemists themselves aside, according to modern chemists and physicists the answer is: no. Such a substance does not exist. The energy allegedly required to change one metal into another one makes it impossible that any substance could possibly accomplish this just by simple melting together. You need more complicated things, like particle accelerators, to accomplish this. On the other hand, according to a good number of historical witnesses who were not exactly alchemists themselves (ex: Robert Boyle, Edmund Dickinson, Richard Stanihurst, Berigard of Pisa, Helvetius, van Helmont, etc.) and who never claimed to have prepared the Stone, the answer is: yes. It is very real and they claim to have seen or handled samples of it and tested its transmuting effects and found them to be as the alchemists say.

Andro
07-03-2014, 03:07 AM
I have only studied alchemy for a year now.

Hi Taikamiya,

What do you mean when you say you have "studied alchemy"?

Has it only been theory/reading books? Have you practiced it? (internally/externally/etc)?

What is your definition of 'study'?

What is your definition of 'Alchemy'?

What is your definition of 'a Philosopher's Stone'?

A simple answer will do :)
------------------------------
Welcome to the forum. You're also welcome to introduce yourself (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?3-Introductions-%28new-members-go-here%29) if so inclined.

Krisztian
07-03-2014, 03:56 AM
Has this substance ever ACTUALLY been made in real life. I just want a simple answer.

Yes.

Taikamiya
07-03-2014, 05:33 AM
When I say study I mean read about. Mainly I'm interested in the philosophers stone because of its healing effects, The white stone so to speak. I mean I guess its the philosophers stone which brought me to become interested in this all together. But since then I've come to realize alchemy is such a broad word for something so huge that I could not explain it. Ive read about alchemy in the body, Spiritual and metaphysical, also I have read about Ancient taoist alchemy and immortality. I basically just wanted to know some of the best things for the human body when I was recovering from a severe concussion and I became so intrigued with the world of alchemy. I dont have a definition for it yet but I do know it is something I will have to study for some years before I even understand just a figment of it. And the philosophers stone? I want to believe its a real object that has the ability to heal disease and transmute base metals into gold. Albeit it also could be a metaphor for life's many lessons or something else all together. And when I mean study I guess I have only read. One day when Im older and have a place of my own I will consider buying a basic set up. Until then I have lots of information to read, and see if I can find the things im looking for. This is just a small hobby of mine at the time and I know I dont know enough about the subject, But all I can do is learn and become a greater person in the process.

Ilos
07-03-2014, 10:48 AM
I do believe that the philosophers stone is more of an allegory than an object that you just can hold. Actually people following this allegory trying to find the philosophers stone, have discovered many other interesting things that at that time it just seemed magical. Than again as Androgynus said; depends on the way you see it, If you think that the philosophers stone is something that would prolong life or transmute base metals into gold or maybe you mean a powerful Jiny in the bottle that will fulfill all your wishes than I have to say that the Jiny is in you, you are the Jiny that has to find the way to fulfill those wishes. :D

theFool
07-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Can you really make a philosophers stone? Hm, why not? :confused: :D

Ghislain
07-03-2014, 02:19 PM
But all I can do is learn and become a greater person in the process.

There is the recipe for the Philosophers Stone.

Ghislain

Krisztian
07-04-2014, 07:44 PM
. . . Mainly I'm interested in the philosophers stone because of its healing effects, . . .

For the average humankind, this notion of a Philosopher's Stone represents as a metaphor only, which is as it should be. For the many, they do not truly believe (and unconsciously fear) that one can be healed from the very human nature that we believe ourselves to be.

For the very, very few who uncover this chemical, hormonal transmuting agent, and actually make this life-altering decision to ingest, well, hopefully, they're ready for the psychological isolation that it will provide from humanity. For you'll be living a secret that the average humankind, if found out, will either scold or fear, and in good circumstances, perhaps, bring up jealousy.

crestind
07-06-2014, 03:03 AM
Hi Taikamiya,

What do you mean when you say you have "studied alchemy"?

Has it only been theory/reading books? Have you practiced it? (internally/externally/etc)?

What is your definition of 'study'?

What is your definition of 'Alchemy'?

What is your definition of 'a Philosopher's Stone'?

A simple answer will do :)
------------------------------
Welcome to the forum. You're also welcome to introduce yourself (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?3-Introductions-%28new-members-go-here%29) if so inclined.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Yes, OP. Buy the disk from RAMSDigital.com. There's a bunch of methods listed in there in plain text. Just waiting for you to carry out the process. And for God's sake if you come across the writings of a "Nicholas ********" or "***" disregard it. It's all garbage lol. He was a mentally ill individual who started a little cult of personality in the alchemy circles some time ago. Thankfully he has faked his death and doesn't bother with it anymore.

Seth-Ra
07-06-2014, 04:44 AM
For the average humankind, this notion of a Philosopher's Stone represents as a metaphor only, which is as it should be. For the many, they do not truly believe (and unconsciously fear) that one can be healed from the very human nature that we believe ourselves to be.

For the very, very few who uncover this chemical, hormonal transmuting agent, and actually make this life-altering decision to ingest, well, hopefully, they're ready for the psychological isolation that it will provide from humanity. For you'll be living a secret that the average humankind, if found out, will either scold or fear, and in good circumstances, perhaps, bring up jealousy.

Well said. I think this has been my favorite post in this thread thus far. :)

Of course, the simple answer is "yes".

Kiorionis
07-17-2014, 05:21 AM
It's a good post :)

I would ask what the philosopher's stone is. I know many 'philosophers' and their opinions differ greatly. Is the stone a metaphor or something else? Is it personal or universal?

Then there is a difference between the philosopher's stone and a philosophic stone. What makes a stone philosophic? What makes a man a philosopher? And to over-simplify, What makes?

All this is just words. I hope you've enjoyed :)

Krisztian
07-17-2014, 03:34 PM
I would ask what the philosopher's stone is. I know many 'philosophers' and their opinions differ greatly. Is the stone a metaphor or something else? Is it personal or universal?

Then there is a difference between the philosopher's stone and a philosophic stone. What makes a stone philosophic? What makes a man a philosopher?

The answers to these question can be found in original texts on alchemy.