PDA

View Full Version : The Magic of the Rosehip

Awani
01-08-2009, 10:05 AM
I never thought about it before but I was drinking some Nyponsoppa wondering what it was called in English (Rosehip Soup). It is a wonderful plant that is quite abundant here in Sweden... nothing kills a flu like hot Rosehip Soup (and a glass of warm Blueberry Soup)!

In fact it is a very good plant to eat for many reasons... and often as a kid we used to make itching powder from it... :p

I have never come across it in any alchemical writings, but regardless of that I suggest you go out and get some if you are feeling weak, just a tip!

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/450px-Rose_hip.jpg
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosehip)

Rosehip Soup
Servings: 6 - 8
Time: 10 - 15 minutes

Ingredients
1 litre fresh rosehips
2 litres water
For each litre, 1 liquid quart of rosehip pulp
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon potato flour
1/4 cup almonds

Method
Rinse the rosehips. Crush dried hips. Boil in water till soft. Press through a colander. Measure the pulp and dilute with water if necessary. Bring the pulp to a boil and add sugar. Add more sugar if it is too tart. Mix potato flour with some cold water. Thicken the soup while you stir and bring to a boil. Add blanched and shredded almond.

Notes, tips, and variations
Hot soup is often served with vanilla ice cream and/or macaroons. Cold soup can be diluted to make a nice thirst-quencher. The Icelandic recipe differs in that cornstarch is used to thicken it, not potato flour. - source (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Rosehip_Soup)

Here in Sweden you can get it in powder form (just add water), but making it from scratch is always better!

:cool:

Clayrn Darrow
02-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Splendid! When I find potato flour , I will attempt to prepare this.

Solitary Alchemist
02-20-2012, 10:43 PM
I am working with Rosehips right now. I know hardly anything about Alchemy other than what i read in "Real Alchemy" by Robert Allen Bartlett and a few other books. I choose Rosehips to be my first herb of experimentation. I kept 3/8 of a cup of Rosehips covered in water 2-3 finger widths above the mass. Then i heated and cooled periodically the mason jar it was in on a warm wax melting plate and extracted the liquid and rosehips residue. The liquid was more like a syrup, very thick and sticky. The rosehips would not ignite, so i must find another way to burn it. So far i have placed the liquid in a smaller jar on the warming plate full time and the longer i leave it the darker and smaller the liquid gets. I have taken a large quantity and used 2 bowls and my microwave to speed up evaporation so i may collect the evaporated liquid as well. Now i will be keeping them both on constant heat and seeing my results.

Salazius
02-23-2012, 07:47 AM
Well, microwaves are destroyers... :S

This said, I worked on Cinnorhoddon Tincture (roseships), and the effect is "scorpio" as signature. You eradicate in yourself all scorpios and spiders parasites.

It is very good.

Solitary Alchemist
03-01-2012, 05:46 AM
Oh, i see. ok, so no more microwaves lol. Well recently ive been getting some odd results with my distilling mixture i got from the rosehips and water extraction. It has separated itself into 2 parts, 1 is liquid like and dark colored, the other is light and fatty looking almost. Is this normal? And the liquid i collected from the microwave experiment that was condensed and gathered, is that the Sulfur?

Salazius
03-01-2012, 09:49 AM
If you had this result then ... you had this result. The laws are at play in your process so it is "normal".

Now, the "colour" is the Sulfur.

Solitary Alchemist
03-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Do you have any suggestions as to how to separate out the two?

Nibiru
03-01-2012, 07:51 PM
Hello Solitary Alchemist :)

If you don't have a seperatory funnel you could try using a syringe, eye-dropper, or turkey-baster to slowly extract one of the layers from a tall glass with a small diameter. Another ways is to cut a tiny hole in the corner of a zip-lock bag and close the hole with hemostats or something similar like a wooden close-pin. Pour the entire liquid into the bag and allow it to hang suspended until the liquids separate into two layers. Once the liquids are divided, you can release the clamp that's covering the tiny hole and the bottom liquid will slowly drain into your catching basin. Once the bottom layer has been removed, clamp the hole and your done.

As far as the rose-hips not wanting to burn, have you tried to moisten them first with with s.v. and then igniting them?

Solitary Alchemist
03-01-2012, 10:58 PM
That's exactly what i did, i used an eye dropper to slowly drain out the oil, and now i have it separated into 2 vials of oil and 1 vial of that fatty liquid stuff. The residue i have not tried that with, but i will. Thank you! I will post pictures soon of my results.