PDA

View Full Version : The Hermetic Foundations Of Alchemy

Andro
02-26-2014, 09:44 AM
Hello everyone,

I have noticed that a relative majority of Alchemists (at least here) is mostly UN-interested in the 'Spiritus Mundi' topic, and is rather researching various particulars, metals/minerals/meteorites, chemical solvents & compounds, etc... (in which I personally have zero interest)

There is still some interest in the 'Purist SM' topic, and I just wanted to let you all know that I am working on what may possibly be my most significant open communication/contribution on the this subject, including its Qualities, its Origin, some of the the Laws & Principles involved, many common (IMO) misconceptions about it and the 'Genesis' Sequence involved with it. I don't know when it will be ready. In practice, I am still working and refining my approach and my research - I obviously haven't generated 'The Stone' (yet), so this will be a collection of insights and 'notes from the road', so to speak, for whatever and to whomever it's worth.

I know that there are opinions saying that people who haven't completed the Great Work shouldn't write about it.

On the other hand, there are opinions saying that those who have actually completed the Universal Work, are the ones most likely to NOT write about it.

So please take everything I write (past & future) with a grain of (Central) Salt, apply your individual discernment and derive your OWN conclusions and possible implementations.

I am currently putting a lot of effort into summarizing/concentrating a few years of direct experience, observations and some of my own personal guidance, received via various entities on various planes of existence. There will be of course no 'recipes', because every Alchemist I have ever met in my travels around the world is applying different methods/techniques, while still observing the very same principles. In other words, there are probably as many 'recipes' as there are Alchemists...

Perhaps the most significant point I wanted to make with this post is that Alchemy, even though it DOES involve 'lab' work in a sense, is also most definitely a spiritual path, given the internal level of inner/personal revelation and shift of perspective/vision that it requires to receive the necessary 'Keys' to put it into practice.

That's all (for now).

Cheers & till soon...

Illen A. Cluf
02-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Hello Androgynus,

I'm still exploring several different approaches, and while I favor some over others, until I have been fortunate enough to actually make the Stone, I remain very interested in all reasonable theories that others are passionate about.

I also agree that the lab practice is just a means towards a greater hermetic end that leads to spiritual awareness.

I look forward to your generous offer to provide the results of your insights here.

Andro
02-26-2014, 12:32 PM
I remain very interested in all reasonable theories that others are passionate about.

Open-minded skepticism is a quite healthy way to discern outside sources :)

I also agree that the lab practice is just a means towards a greater hermetic end that leads to spiritual awareness.

Just as a paradigm shift in Spiritual Awareness is a means towards 'greater' lab practice :)

I look forward to your generous offer to provide the results of your insights here.

It's a meticulous work, to put it all together in the form of a concentrated outlook/synopsis - so it may take a while, especially as it requires a very careful approach in the choice of wording.

But I'm already working on the initial draft. It turns out to be quite a demanding task, in terms of the required levels of internal coherence and focus/concentration.

Thank you for the encouragement.

alfr
02-26-2014, 03:55 PM
I look forward to your generous work very thanks

ny best regards alfr

Dendritic Xylem
02-27-2014, 11:50 PM
Excellent, thanks Androgynus!

thoth
02-28-2014, 01:38 AM
Hi Androgynus

I would still be very interested in this thread, maybe like others who are just reserved about posting on it due to lack of good understanding.
I believe it is one of the most important threads on the forum (along with celestial agriculture)

And of course it is that time of year again when our bowls may be filled if we've made them just right.....

Andro
02-28-2014, 01:19 PM
Here are the current main headlines/sections/'chapters' being written (and re-written, etc...)

The topics are an abridgement of Hermetic Philosophy with special focus on Practical Alchemy:

1. Origin: The Prime Paradox

2. The Nature of Spiritus Mundi - The First Emanation - The Philosophical 'Heaven'

3. The Philosophical 'Earth'/Magnet - The Universal Undifferentiated Foundation and Lowest Common Denominator

4. The Two-Step Sequence and Double-Action of Spiritus Mundi in Reality Design (Involution & Evolution)

5. Aristocracy of Meritocracy: The Hierarchical Nature of Reality

6. The Ouroboros and the Alchemical Shortcut

7. Common Misconceptions about the Universal Great Work

8. Emulating 'Nature': Natural Design Laws applicable to the Universal Great Work

9. The 'Veil' and the 'Portal'

10. Epilogue

This is what I am working on, it's not final (still a work in progress).

Hopefully, I'll have a first draft ready by the beginning of April.

Illen A. Cluf
02-28-2014, 05:10 PM
Hopefully, I'll have a first draft ready by the beginning of April.

Based on the Chapter headings, it looks like this will be quite interesting. I look forward to the presentation and any related discussion.

This almost deserves a separate section, so it won't be buried within these 60 pages (and growing).

In fact, it would be nice to have a separate Section completely dedicated to organized presentations of individual theories of a (mostly) complete overview, whether theoretical, practical, or both.

Kiorionis
02-28-2014, 05:33 PM
I'm patiently looking forward to it as well :)
especially the seventh chapter dedicated to misconceptions.

ghetto alchemist
03-04-2014, 12:17 AM
Androgynus says:

I just wanted to let you all know that I am working on what may possibly be my most significant open communication/contribution on the this subject, including its Qualities, its Origin, some of the the Laws & Principles involved, many common (IMO) misconceptions about it and the 'Genesis' Sequence involved with it.

Androgynus, I very much look forward to anything that you will write about this topic.
Please publish soon, even a rough draft that you are not satisfied would be priceless to me (and many others).

Might you consider including a passage on how to actually ´ćorporify´ the spiritus mundi and hold it indefinately in a container. ;)

G Alchemist

Salazius
03-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Cool :)

KISS

Andro
03-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Might you consider including a passage on how to actually ´ćorporify´ the spiritus mundi and hold it indefinately in a container.

No.

Please see what I wrote earlier:

There will be of course no 'recipes', because every Alchemist I have ever met in my travels around the world is applying different methods/techniques, while still observing the very same principles. In other words, there are probably as many 'recipes' as there are Alchemists...

This will be mainly about 'Hermetic Vision' and the Foundation/Laws of Genesis, Creation, Reality & Generation. It should (hopefully) add/change some insight and perspective about approaching the Practical Work, to each according to their own level of understanding and natural disposition.

Cool :)

KISS

It's basically a summary of what we've discussed in depth during our last few many-many-hour-long skype talks.. Only appropriately redacted for the public domain...

Yes, of course I'll KIS, S :cool:

Arrakis
03-06-2014, 06:23 AM
Hi,

I believe it is one of the most important threads on the forum (along with celestial agriculture)

I agree!

There will be of course no 'recipes', because every Alchemist I have ever met in my travels around the world is applying different methods/techniques, while still observing the very same principles. In other words, there are probably as many 'recipes' as there are Alchemists...

There are different methods in a context of recipes, but the philosophical concept for a container is single and common for all ways, as well as it's procedia, and always related with salts.

Androgynus my friend, just one post is enough to make clear your message :D

Arrakis

Salazius
03-06-2014, 04:05 PM
There are different methods in a context of recipes, but the philosophical concept for a container is single and common for all ways, as well as it's procedia, and always related with salts.

Not always, not always ...

Andro
04-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Preliminary Note: Please read the following with personal discernment and with a skeptical (but open) mind.
---------------------------------------

1. Origin: The Prime Paradox

101. 'Origin' is rooted in Paradox. The Root 'is' No-Thing, but only a Virtual Continuum of Potential/Possibility, at the Extremes of which there are the Possibility of 'Nothing' and the Possibility of 'Everything'.

102. All Possibility/Potential 'is' Virtual, Abstract and UN-Knowable.

103. The Potential Differences/Tensions along the virtual Continuum and among the Infinity of Variations between Degrees of Possibility, balance themselves out, resulting in the 'Fixation' of The Point. This 'Fixation', however, is also in the Domain of Paradox, since IT is both fixed AND infinitely fluctuating between Potentials/Possibilities. Thus, IT simultaneously is & isn't, simultaneously dimensionless & infinite, simultaneously at absolute stillness & vibrating/fluctuating at an infinite rate.

104. UN-Knowable, dimensionless, not anchored in Space & Time - the 'Point Of Origin' is 'All That Is'. It is 'Pure Being' and simultaneously 'All & Nothing'. It is often referred to as 'God', 'Creator', 'The All' and 'Universal Mind'.

105. Since 'Universal Mind' is 'All That Is', there can 'be' no 'thing' that is NOT within 'Universal Mind'.

106. The State of 'Being' is the Natural State of the Universal Mind, a state usually referred to as 'Meditation'.

107. It is from this Objective & UN-Knowable Natural State of 'Being'/'Meditation', that the All/Infinite Mind thinks/imagines (within ITself) the progression of Subjective & Knowable 'Becoming'. This is accomplished by the Universal/Infinite Mind through Focusing Infinite Potential into its own Oppo-Same 'Polarity' of Zero Potential (Void/Nothingness/Emptiness). In other words, IT is having a Genesis Intercourse with ITself.

108. So it 'begins' - the Subjectively Knowable Creation, which is always completely virtual 'inside' the Universal Mind and never 'external' to it, as there can be 'no-thing' outside 'All That Is'. There is no 'Big Bang', no 'outward' expansion (there is no 'out' of The All), only an inner Thought projection (imbibition :)) of Mind upon ITself, paralleling the Alchemical Process.

109. This 'Virtual Reality' Creation is a progression of 'Becoming' (as opposed to 'Being', which, lacking a Space/Time mental construct, cannot be a 'progression'), as it renders the necessary 'Phantasmagorias' which are 'known' as Subjectively Knowable Space, Time, Energy, Matter, etc...

110. Neither 'Origin' (a.k.a. 'Creator') nor 'Creation' can be defined as 'THE Truth', as 'Truth' is also subject to the Polarity Continuum between Absolute and Realative . Any 'Truth' claimed to be of either Polarity is only a 'Half Truth', so to speak. The fundamental 'difference' between Origin/Absolute and Creation/Realative is that the latter is Knowable (a.k.a. 'Becoming'), while the former (a.k.a. 'Being') is not.

Some Authors (Alchemical/Hermetic or otherwise) refer to the Knowable as the 'False Creation', while other Authors refer to the Dimensionless/Infinite Mind/Origin as 'Real Dimension'. Denying/dismissing the Relative Pole of 'Truth' is just as much folly as denying/dismissing its Absolute Oppo-Same. 'Truth', too, is a Continuum which needs to be embraced wholly. (So maybe think twice before claiming 'Absolute Truth' :cool: ...)______________________________________________ _

Next (coming soon):

2. The Nature of 'Spiritus Mundi' - The First Emanation - The Philosophical 'Heaven'

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: The 'Origin' series will also be in My Blog Section (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/blog.php?371-Androgynus).

✂----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dendritic Xylem
04-21-2014, 06:26 PM
Thank you for sharing Androgynus! I think many have been anticipating your overview.

Andro
04-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Thank you for sharing Androgynus! I think many have been anticipating your overview.

And thank YOU for taking the time to read it... I am completely clueless about potential anticipations :)

It's quite difficult to render it short and concentrated, but the good news is that this was the most challenging part to write & re-write & re-re-write :)

As it will progress into the next sections, it will be more and more targeted towards Practical Alchemy, and I'm sure it will make more and more contextual sense, as it develops...

Also, I'll say it again - please read with discernment and with an open but skeptical mind :)

Awani
04-21-2014, 08:22 PM
Good post, looking forward to future parts. For now a quick question...

The State of 'Being' is the Natural State of the Universal Mind, a state usually referred to as 'Meditation'.

As in to be in an altered state as well? Or is that unnatural. What is the 'real state'?

:cool:

Andro
04-21-2014, 08:49 PM
As in to be in an altered state as well? Or is that unnatural.

'Altered States' that can be known/experienced in the Subjectively Knowable Creation, are all perfectly 'natural' for the time/space mental construct that we perceive/regard as 'real'.

What is the 'real state'?

'Real' is Realative :)

Within the Knowable, perception IS reality.

All states of Becoming are 'Altered States', and they are all 'real' as they are perceived, given the subjective nature of the Knowable Creation (Becoming), a nature of perpetual/ongoing adjustments and agreements.

On the 'other extreme' of the 'truth continuum', the 'Natural State' of Pure Being is a 'trademark' of Origin and therefore Objective & UN-Knowable, hence never fully achievable in the Subjectively Knowable Mental Construct/Progression of Becoming.

Knowable/Subjective 'Altered States', while seemingly not available in Being ('Being' not being subject to Subjective Alterations, i.e. 'UN-Changing'), are nevertheless perfectly 'natural' (yet subjective) in the Virtual Reality construct/progression of Becoming, where 'Change' is actually a 'constant' of sorts... Arrrggghhh... Words don't come easy with this type of material...

'Spiritus Mundi' (as will be suggested for consideration in future posts), while it originates in Being, it 'operates' in Becoming, as it is the 'Universal Motor' of the Subjectively Knowable Construct/Progression.

PS: As OP of this thread, I welcome on-topic input of a Philosophical nature, as long as it is remembered that the purpose (here) is to hopefully lead us to Greater Understanding followed by Practical Application.

✂--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ghislain
04-22-2014, 01:21 PM
Androgynus I really enjoyed your post and cannot begin to imagine how difficult it must be to put something like that into words that you can feel content with.

It must be a subject close to the hearts of many as at the time of writing this there have been 82,030 views and 613 replies, which shows the difficulty of pinning down the subject matter.

Edit: For those that may have already seen this post unedited I would like to give a short explanation of my reason for its deletion...I realised that what I wrote continued with the context which has drawn out this thread to the size it is and that it detracted from what Androgynus is attempting to do which is to bring it into a perspective we may all understand...

I look forward to part 2 thank you Androgynus.

Ghislain

Illen A. Cluf
04-23-2014, 02:56 AM
Great start, Androgynus! I'm looking forward to the rest.

Illen

alfr
04-23-2014, 02:06 PM
Very thanks Androgynus I am looking forward to the rest thanks alfr

Andro
08-26-2014, 07:15 PM
This almost deserves a separate section, so it won't be buried within these 60 pages (and growing).

At Dev's earlier advice and Illen's suggestion (above), I've moved this whole topic into a thread of its own, because it diverges a bit too much from the 'Spiritus Mundi' thread, where it was originally posted.

When a few of us met in Amsterdam (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?3729-Alchemy-Congress-in-Amsterdam-2014) earlier in July, some of us gave talks on various subjects.

My own talk was about and around the topics that I had started to present here (on this thread), and it took me around 2.5 hours of talking to barely even scratch the surface of what I wished to convey...

I realized how extremely difficult it is to put all this into words when speaking freely, and even more difficult in writing.

I still haven't given up trying, but my free/available time is limited, so it may still take a while.

The talk was recorded/videotaped, but I'm not sure I want to renounce this relative anonymity I have right now and make it public.

It was my first time talking in public about these concepts, and it was not an easy task at all.

So I guess we'll see...

Krisztian
08-26-2014, 07:49 PM
I have noticed that a relative majority of Alchemists (at least here) is mostly UN-interested in the 'Spiritus Mundi' topic, . . .

I hold this topic to be interesting and important. I hope you do proceed and dialogue.

Perhaps the most significant point I wanted to make with this post is that Alchemy, even though it DOES involve 'lab' work in a sense, is also most definitely a spiritual path, given the internal level of inner/personal revelation and shift of perspective/vision that it requires to receive the necessary 'Keys' to put it into practice.

Sure.

. . . every Alchemist I have ever met in my travels around the world is applying different methods/techniques, while still observing the very same principles. In other words, there are probably as many 'recipes' as there are Alchemists.

The other aspect of this may also be that when old alchemists said "seed of metals" for example, they didn't actually refer to working with metals, that being the case with Philalethes. In other words, the many different terms used throughout this vast field may mean something quite the same but the diversity of people, their thinking, has evolved it into diverse ways of exploring that in the lab.

At the end of the day, it's about results, and lab-work sincerely gives feedback and can sober up delusions, confusion, and ego-inflations. How many other spiritual disciplines can say that?

bleeding yolk
08-26-2014, 08:29 PM
......androgynus , my prime interest in alchemy at the moment also involves the spiritual path.....im making attempts to separate the mystery and trying to pin down exactly , what is what......although i keep getting this voice saying 'remember that the hermeticist's mottoe is......."as above , so below , as below so above'' '........so im trying to tread lightly and carefully......

Awani
08-26-2014, 10:21 PM
making attempts to separate the mystery and trying to pin down exactly , what is what...

"We who solve mystery, become mystery..." - Unknown

:cool:

Andro
08-26-2014, 10:28 PM
trying to pin down exactly , what is what

On this thread, you could start with the POO (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4098-The-Hermetic-Foundations-Of-Alchemy&p=34574#post34574) (Paradox Of Origin) - at least from the perspective I have to offer...

bleeding yolk
08-26-2014, 11:36 PM
On this thread, you could start with the POO (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4098-The-Hermetic-Foundations-Of-Alchemy&p=34574#post34574) (Paradox Of Origin) - at least from the perspective I have to offer...

.....well....your theory of poo....:rolleyes:......is basically the classical interpretation of the cosmos....especially amongst the neo-platonists and kabbalists (ain soph and sophia ).......of course this is all highly abstract and gets very messy when you come down to our particular world with its highly involved and intricate relationships amongst all forces.......

....there is one difference ....and that is the paradox.......the neo-platonists esteemed the all to come from the one......and although this is an unknowable thing to creatures ,...it could only be called paradoxical in that it transcends logical reasoning and values.......

Kiorionis
01-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Hey Andro :)

I've been thinking on this lately:

107. It is from this Objective & UN-Knowable Natural State of 'Being'/'Meditation', that the All/Infinite Mind thinks/imagines (within ITself) the progression of Subjective & Knowable 'Becoming'. This is accomplished by the Universal/Infinite Mind through Focusing Infinite Potential into its own Oppo-Same 'Polarity' of Zero Potential (Void/Nothingness/Emptiness). In other words, IT is having a Genesis Intercourse with ITself.

108. So it 'begins' - the Subjectively Knowable Creation, which is always completely virtual 'inside' the Universal Mind and never 'external' to it, as there can be 'no-thing' outside 'All That Is'. There is no 'Big Bang', no 'outward' expansion (there is no 'out' of The All), only an inner Thought projection (imbibition :)) of Mind upon ITself, paralleling the Alchemical Process.

109. This 'Virtual Reality' Creation is a progression of 'Becoming' (as opposed to 'Being', which, lacking a Space/Time mental construct, cannot be a 'progression'), as it renders the necessary 'Phantasmagorias' which are 'known' as Subjectively Knowable Space, Time, Energy, Matter, etc...

The question I ask myself is, when 'Being' moves to 'Becoming', does 'Being' place any restrictions on itself other than the direction of its 'Becoming'?

The direction I have been leaning, is that the initial path of 'Being's 'Becoming' never changes, it can only be augmented negatively by accepting perceived restrictions, or positively by accepting new qualities which strengthen its core structure.

I guess, if there was a part you could clarify about your understanding, is how one 'Becoming' inside 'Being' is affected by another 'Becoming'; whether it is because they are two separate things, or that it's One Thing adapting to Itself, or that it's both. I understand the interaction on a more Fixt level as being 1+1 = 1 (Salazius' alchemical mathematics :p ).

In the end, it seems the Art comes in by making adjustments to Zero Potential.

Andro
01-01-2015, 09:39 PM
How one 'Becoming' inside 'Being' is affected by another 'Becoming'; whether it is because they are two separate things, or that it's not, because it's One Thing adapting to Itself. I understand the interaction on a more Fixt level as being 1+1 = 1 (Salazius' alchemical mathematics :p ).

As I have already suggested in Amsterdam (the talk will eventually be available online :)), it can be One Thing and still interact with itself.

As for how 'one' Becoming is affected by 'another' Becoming, it is the same as characters in a play/virtual reality affecting each other, or as your understanding is affected by Salazius' Alchemical Mathematics :)

In the end, it seems the Art comes in by making adjustments to Zero Potential.

If by this you mean evolving the 'Blank Page' (First Matter), then I would say yes, from within Becoming.

However, in the case of Being, between Zero Potential and Infinite Potential/Possibility, there is an ever ongoing 'negotiation' for Equilibrium.

This elusive and paradoxical Point of Being/Equilibrium doesn't require 'Adjustments'.

It is Law by & onto itself :)

Kiorionis
01-05-2015, 03:57 PM
If by this you mean evolving the 'Blank Page' (First Matter), then I would say yes, from within Becoming.

However, in the case of Being, between Zero Potential and Infinite Potential/Possibility, there is an ever ongoing 'negotiation' for Equilibrium.

This elusive and paradoxical Point of Being/Equilibrium doesn't require 'Adjustments'.

It is Law by & onto itself :)

Thanks for the clarification :)

bleeding yolk
01-07-2015, 12:32 PM
Hello everyone,

I have noticed that a relative majority of Alchemists (at least here) is mostly UN-interested in the 'Spiritus Mundi' topic, and is rather researching various particulars, metals/minerals/meteorites, chemical solvents & compounds, etc... (in which I personally have zero interest)

There is still some interest in the 'Purist SM' topic, and I just wanted to let you all know that I am working on what may possibly be my most significant open communication/contribution on the this subject, including its Qualities, its Origin, some of the the Laws & Principles involved, many common (IMO) misconceptions about it and the 'Genesis' Sequence involved with it. I don't know when it will be ready. In practice, I am still working and refining my approach and my research - I obviously haven't generated 'The Stone' (yet), so this will be a collection of insights and 'notes from the road', so to speak, for whatever and to whomever it's worth.

I know that there are opinions saying that people who haven't completed the Great Work shouldn't write about it.

On the other hand, there are opinions saying that those who have actually completed the Universal Work, are the ones most likely to NOT write about it.

So please take everything I write (past & future) with a grain of (Central) Salt, apply your individual discernment and derive your OWN conclusions and possible implementations.

I am currently putting a lot of effort into summarizing/concentrating a few years of direct experience, observations and some of my own personal guidance, received via various entities on various planes of existence. There will be of course no 'recipes', because every Alchemist I have ever met in my travels around the world is applying different methods/techniques, while still observing the very same principles. In other words, there are probably as many 'recipes' as there are Alchemists...

That's all (for now).

Cheers & till soon...

hi androgynus,

thought you might like to see this and figured this would be the best place to put it in order for it to be seen.

'“A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in vessels of silver”. (Prov. 25:11)
Hear the explanation of what he said; the word maskiyoth, the Hebrew equivalent for “vessels” denotes “filigree network”, i.e., things in which there are very small apertures, such as are frequently wrought by silversmiths. They are called in Hebrew maskiyoth (lit. “transpicuous” from the verb sakah, “he saw” a root which occurs also in the Targum of Onkelos, Gen. 26:8) because the eye penetrates through them. Thus Solomon meant to say, “just as apples of gold in silver filigree with small apertures, so is a word fitly spoken.”
See how beautifully the conditions of a good simile are described in this figure! It shows that in every word which has a double sense, a literal one and a figurative one, the plain meaning must be as valuable as silver, and the hidden meaning still more precious: so that the figurative meaning bears the same relation to the literal one as gold to silver. It is further necessary that the plain sense of the phrase shall give to those who consider it some notion of that which the figure represents. Just as a golden apple overlaid with a network of silver, when seen at a distance, or looked at superficially, is mistaken for a silver apple, but when a keen-sighted person looks at the object well, he will find what is within, and see that the apple is gold. –''Maimonides intro to the Guide of the perplexed

-by-

elixirmixer
12-11-2016, 06:52 AM
Where's chapter 2?