PDA

View Full Version : Sublimation of Sal Ammoniac With... Mars Bars

crestind
01-22-2015, 04:31 AM
Wanted to get some more opinions here on whether there's anything alchemical going on in the photos below. Meaning, how can I use this to make me a brick of beautiful sol?

When sal ammoniac is sublimed just by itself, does it ever turn orange? I know it turns yellow sometimes from the HCl, but orange? Is that normal?

Here in the photos below, what you see here is the result of steel wool dissolved in common pool hydrochloric acid, evaporated down, ground up and mixed with a proportion of sal ammoniack (of the common variety) in a glass beaker. So basically sal ammoniack sublimated through iron III chloride.

At first it was just white sublimate for an hour and I thought I'd failed but now it's orange. I know there's been some posts here about extracting the "sulfur of iron" from iron oxide with sal ammoniac.

http://i.imgur.com/zR2J9mN.png

Salazius
01-22-2015, 11:33 AM
Hi,

No by itself, it is white.

If ever there is a sulfur somewhere it will give you the above example : golden or red colour.

You can try to extract with pure alcohol the sulfur of iron, but it is a tough one to get.

JDP
01-23-2015, 06:47 PM
Wanted to get some more opinions here on whether there's anything alchemical going on in the photos below. Meaning, how can I use this to make me a brick of beautiful sol?

When sal ammoniac is sublimed just by itself, does it ever turn orange? I know it turns yellow sometimes from the HCl, but orange? Is that normal?

Here in the photos below, what you see here is the result of steel wool dissolved in common pool hydrochloric acid, evaporated down, ground up and mixed with a proportion of sal ammoniack (of the common variety) in a glass beaker. So basically sal ammoniack sublimated through iron III chloride.

At first it was just white sublimate for an hour and I thought I'd failed but now it's orange. I know there's been some posts here about extracting the "sulfur of iron" from iron oxide with sal ammoniac.

http://i.imgur.com/zR2J9mN.png

I have prepared this product through several methods before. It's a double salt of iron and ammonium. The operation does not separate any "sulfur" from the iron. The salt wholly dissolves in water and leaves no undissolved material behind. It can be easily decomposed into ammonia or ammonium carbonate (easily detected by the smell) and iron hydroxide (reddish precipitate) by treating the solution with another solution of an alkaline hydroxide or carbonate.

crestind
01-24-2015, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the input all. I did this experiment in an attempt to follow Glauber's methods somehow in extracting the "mercury" from iron or copper. I know he openly speaks of a dry way, but there should be a wet method somehow using his ammonium sulfate, but I've no idea how it's done...

He even outright mentions that there are many ways to obtain the mercury using his "most secret sal ammoniack" (ammonium sulfate), but he doesn't want to talk about them. :(

The mercuries allegedly have the ability to give white metals a purple tint.

Hellin Hermetist
01-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Dont believe what Glauber says. He is not trustworthy.

crestind
01-24-2015, 05:14 PM
Any particular reason you say that? Did you try some of his recipes?

JDP
01-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Any particular reason you say that? Did you try some of his recipes?

I have tested a good number of processes by Glauber. He is one of those "chymists" who liked to inject a lot of empty boasts into his books. There is indeed interesting content in his works, but it is buried in a huge mass of false claims. You literally have to sift through a ton of "garbage" to get to a few grams of potentially interesting material. This was a very common technique, not unique to Glauber, by the way. Other chymists, like Becher or Kunckel, for example, also use it.

Hellin Hermetist
01-24-2015, 06:22 PM
To sublime sal ammoniac over metallic oxides or dissolve metallic calxes in distilled vinegar and expect to acquire some special metallic principle or a magical stone with tinging properties? No thanks. Trust me, those processes described by Glauber will give you only chlorides or acetates of metals at the end of the day. The chemists who tried those type of experiments had misunderstood a passage of Helmont, who described in somewhat obsure terms a process which will let someone acquire what he calls "Principle of fire of Venus". Fortunetaly for us, Joachim Poleman, more erudite than Glauber and other chemists of his time, shared some light in Helmont's obscure words. But according to him, this process will only give us a powerful medicine, not a transmutation stone.

amoodikh
01-25-2015, 09:53 AM
I have tested a good number of processes by Glauber. He is one of those "chymists" who liked to inject a lot of empty boasts into his books. There is indeed interesting content in his works, but it is buried in a huge mass of false claims. You literally have to sift through a ton of "garbage" to get to a few grams of potentially interesting material. This was a very common technique, not unique to Glauber, by the way. Other chymists, like Becher or Kunckel, for example, also use it.

I believe you are right for I went through this corridor some times ago.