PDA

View Full Version : Published interpretations of historic alchemical recipes?

guthrie
01-28-2015, 06:58 PM
I am continuing my wandering through the historic works and their recipes, or at least the ones they seem to give, and I would like to know of any more published interpretations?
Obviously you have the academic, Lawrence Principe, or the modern esotericist Robert Bartlett. Some others have tried to come up with recipe interpretations, such as Arthur John Hopkins in his "Alchemy, Child of Greek Philosophy", although that's an old book. Jennifer Rampling rather likes Ripley using red lead, although I know some people disagree with that completely.

But anyway, I am looking for more widely known interpretations of works of the 16th century or before. Anyone seen any apart from those I've mentioned above?

Andro
01-28-2015, 08:29 PM
I don't know if this matches the term 'interpretations', but among the more 'modern' authors, the closest I have personally come across (and recommend) are Jean Dubuis and Daniel Hornfisher.

There may be others, but I don't know/can't recall.

Also, personally, I would keep a safe distance from the Albertus/Bartlett/etc line (this doesn't mean there isn't value to be gained from there), and that's also merely my own subjective opinion, so please just take what resonates and discard the rest :)

-------------------------------------------------------------

guthrie
02-01-2015, 10:24 PM
Thanks. I saw Bartlett stuff about using metal acetates related to what Ripley and others did, which was okay as far as it went, but I've not delved too deeply.