PDA

View Full Version : Don't do unto others what you don't want others to do unto you.

Ghislain
01-30-2015, 03:17 PM
or...

Do unto others what you want others to do unto you.

Confucius: "Do not impose on others what you do not desire others to impose upon you."
(Confucius, The Analects. Roughly 500 BCE.

Hindu sacred literature: "Let no man do to another that which would be repugnant to himself."
(Mahabharata, bk. 5, ch. 49, v. 57)

Zoroastrian sacred literature: "Human nature is good only when it does not do unto another whatever is not good for its own self." 

(Dadistan-I-Dinik, 94:5; in Muller, chapter 94, vol. 18, p. 269)

Buddhist sacred literature: "Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful."
(Udanavargu, 5:18)

The Greek historian Herodotus: "If I choose I may rule over you. But what I condemn in another I will, if I may, avoid myself." 

(Herodotus, The Histories, bk. III, ch. 142. Roughly 430 BCE.)

Isocrates, the Greek orator: "What things make you angry when you suffer them at the hands of others, do not you do to other people."

Jesus: "Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets"
(Matthew 7:12).

This proverb has been bounded around from time immemorial, but does anyone actually pay heed to what it says and if we don't then does that mean we are responsible for creating our own misery?

Also, as we are all a little different in our wants and desires would we come to a point where no one would do anything for fear of breaking this rule. :confused:

Ghislain