PDA

View Full Version : Shamanship or Shamanhood not Shamanism

Awani
02-21-2015, 10:27 PM
Anthropologist Mihály Hoppál also discusses whether the term "shamanism" is appropriate. He notes that for many readers, "-ism" implies a particular dogma, like Buddhism or Judaism. He recommends using the term "shamanhood" or "shamanship" (a term used in old Russian and German ethnographic reports at the beginning of the 20th century) for stressing the diversity and the specific features of the discussed cultures. He believes that this places more stress on the local variations and emphasizes that shamanism is not a religion of sacred dogmas, but linked to the everyday life in a practical way. - source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamanism#Criticism_of_the_term)

Good point I think... I also like the Shamanship/Showmanship word similarity. ;)

:cool:

Ghislain
02-22-2015, 03:48 PM
Would a Shaman be interested in what others call him or his doctrine?

isms are not only used in religion, they denote a type of action e.g. plagiarism; realism; witticism; intellectualism

I doubt a shaman would mind, however I do get the point, but then this would only matter if trying to convince/influence others of something.

Those that should find their path will.

Ghislain

Edit: did you know the plural for shaman is shamans not shamen...I didn't

Ghislain
02-22-2015, 04:24 PM
I stand corrected...

I looked up the suffix -hood and it says...

1.A condition or state of being the thing or being in the role denoted by the word it is suffixed to, usually a noun. child - childhood
2.A group sharing a specified condition or state. brother - brotherhood neighbor - neighbourhood

I agree that fits a lot better. Being in a state rather than following some dogma or creed.

Every day's a school day!

Ghislain