PDA

View Full Version : Greetings!

Michael Sternbach
02-22-2015, 01:10 PM
I am a Swiss therapist employing Spagyrics, Homeopathy, and Bach Flower Therapy as my primary methods of treatment. I supplement them using Astrology, Tarot, and intuitive methods. I was doing this work in close collaboration with a psychiatrist back in the 1990s.

My interest in Alchemy awoke in my early teenage years when I read The Morning of the Magicians by Jacques Bergier and Louis Pauwels. At that time, I was doing chemical experiments as my hobby. I was fascinated by the book; especially the idea that there may be a lot of advanced insights hidden in the countless Alchemical texts, unbeknownst to modern chemistry, intrigued me. I made up my mind to explore this knowledge one day.

Later, I got interested in metaphysical topics, too, in both the Eastern and the Western traditions. I understood that Alchemy was a union of natural science and metaphysics. That was so perfect for me! I made an effort to collect all the Alchemical texts that I could get my hands on during a number of years, and read extensively.

I became familiar with Spagyrics and started applying them in my therapeutic work. Their effectivity convinced me further of the truth contained in the Alchemical literature of yore.

Not long ago, I found Robert A. Bartlett's The Way of the Crucible which seems to be a valuable guide to commencing the practical work in the laboratory. Which I feel I am now finally ready to do.

I greatly look forward to a mutually rewarding exchange with you knowledgeable forum members, on Spagyrics as well as on speculative and practical Alchemy and Hermetics in general.

Yours,
Michael

Awani
02-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the forums!

:cool:

Andro
02-22-2015, 01:16 PM
Welcome!

theFool
02-22-2015, 10:57 PM
Welcome :)

Not long ago, I found Robert A. Bartlett's The Way of the Crucible which seems to be a valuable guide to commencing the practical work in the laboratory. Which I feel I am now finally ready to do. Bartlett is a good modern author to begin with alchemy, writes in plain language and has a lot of references where you could go and read more from the source. He will get you moving but of course he is not enough to get you to the result.

Ghislain
02-22-2015, 11:33 PM
Welcome MS!

Ghislain

black
02-22-2015, 11:38 PM
Welcome Michael.

Michael Sternbach
02-23-2015, 11:51 AM
Wow, what a welcome! Thank you all.

Welcome :)
Bartlett is a good modern author to begin with alchemy, writes in plain language and has a lot of references where you could go and read more from the source. He will get you moving but of course he is not enough to get you to the result.

I have little illusions in this regard.

The thing is that I studied a number of old texts, some of my favourites being the Mutus Liber, the New Chemical Light, Hermes Trismegists wahrer alter Naturweg, the Splendor Solis, the Rosarium Philosophorum, and Geber's various writings. While they all present fascinating vistas, there is little that could be directly translated into nitty gritty practice. I am not the first one to draw this conclusion, to be sure. Welcome to the Alchemical labyrinth! :D

However, all my reading provided me with some insights into Alchemical theories. Some of them seem obsolete in their original form but could be translated into modern scientific language. I came up with some conclusions of my own. I look forward to discuss one aspect or another of that with the members of these forums.

On the more directly practical side, I read Frater Albertus, Manfred Junius, and others, but for the most part, they don't take things beyond manufacturing Spagyric remedies. Which I am sure is an excellent exercise, even though I am quite satisfied with the commercially available remedies made according to Zimpel.

Bartlett's book looks promising insofar it offers methods of mineral Alchemy that can be worked with in a straightforward fashion and, as you say, it can serve as a guide to the classical authors. That way, eventually, the big picture might emerge!

Kiorionis
02-23-2015, 02:33 PM
Yes welcome :)

I think you're right when you say alchemical theories can be translated into scientific language. The two need to be bound together otherwise there will be no progress in the Sciences (seeing how Alchemy deals with 'involution/evolution' of a mater).

Michael Sternbach
02-23-2015, 04:49 PM
Yes welcome :)

I think you're right when you say alchemical theories can be translated into scientific language. The two need to be bound together otherwise there will be no progress in the Sciences (seeing how Alchemy deals with 'involution/evolution' of a mater).

I once attended a congress where well known physicist Roger Penrose presented his version of the Big Bang theory (called Conformal Cyclic Cosmology). I stepped up to the audience's microphone to mention parallels of that theory to Hindu cosmology and Kabbalah. My observations were met with defensiveness; one of Roger's colleagues told me that they wouldn't mind that I drew parallels to "religion" (although I would rather call it "metaphysics") but that such considerations are outside the scope of their science. - Well, that was honest, at least.

Another attendant however supported my position, saying that science would have to integrate metaphysical concepts in order to make progress.

I would even go as far as saying that a science that doesn't acknowledge the spiritual side becomes a force detrimental to life, eventually.

Alchemy at its best is a beautiful example of a science that goes hand in hand with spirituality. However, it shouldn't limit itself to the scientific knowledge of old times but assimilate contemporary knowledge.

All true perspectives can be reconciled because all Truth is One.

And:

As mysticism becomes more scientific, science will become more mystical.

thoth
02-24-2015, 08:31 PM
On the more directly practical side, I read Frater Albertus, Manfred Junius, and others, but for the most part, they don't take things beyond manufacturing Spagyric remedies.

Welcome.

As well as all the books you mention, there is quite a lot of really useful info here, especially in some of the more important threads such as Celestial Agriculture and Spiritus Mundi, but everybody has their own particular area of interest.

I see you have read Junius. Have you tried his description of Urbigerus, Circulatum Minus

Michael Sternbach
02-24-2015, 09:30 PM
Welcome.

As well as all the books you mention, there is quite a lot of really useful info here, especially in some of the more important threads such as Celestial Agriculture and Spiritus Mundi, but everybody has their own particular area of interest.

I will take a look at those threads. Thanks.

I see you have read Junius. Have you tried his description of Urbigerus, Circulatum Minus

The Circulatum Minus is a fascinating text, but I haven't tried out its instructions practically so far. Have you?

thoth
02-24-2015, 10:08 PM
I will take a look at those threads. Thanks.

The Circulatum Minus is a fascinating text, but I haven't tried out its instructions practically so far. Have you?

No I haven't but plan to do so soon now that I have more suitable glassware for this. I currently have this glassware used for something else.
I also got hold of some canadian Balsam but dont want to loose it, so am trying to get all the details unravelled.

I think the circulatum could be a valuable learning process, which might help understand the principles, which could be used for other processes as well.