PDA

View Full Version : Basic Spagyric Elixir - 'Albertus' approach

Axismundi000
03-16-2015, 11:30 PM
So here is our take on Albertus path Spagyric elixir.

The dried herb is put in 50/50 alcohol water, kept airtight, in darkness at room temperature for 2 weeks. This is how we currently achieve the Prime Materia, the plant chaos. After two weeks it looks like this

http://i60.tinypic.com/10ni9u0.jpg

So we decant the demijohn and the herb (Rosemary) has as much juice squeezed from it as possible. The plant matter (Salt) will be dried. The liquid will be distilled to extract the alcohol (Mercury), leaving the dark residue (Sulphur).

http://i58.tinypic.com/210zzw7.jpg

Here the Alcohol is distilled from the liquid.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2ppes5l.jpg

So now we have achieved the first step of the Spagyric process, SEPARATION. The dried plant matter relates to the Salt Principal, the Alcohol relates to the Mercury Principal and the dark oily liquid relates to the Sulphur Principal.

After SEPARATION the next step of the standard Spagyric process is Purification.

Purification of Salt Principal.

After the plant matter (raw Salt Principal) was gently dried it was put in a ceramic, cast iron pot and had the first burn using a camping stove outdoors. This produces choking smoke which must not be breathed so we kept our distance until it stopped smoking. The next step we did indoors but with the window open because a little smoke still came off the ash when reheated. We put successive thin layers of black ash in a red hot steel saucepan. We saw the ash literally go grey before our eyes. We found that the thinner the layer added to the steel saucepan, the quicker the overall task was completed.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2uzfs4n.jpg

When the grey ash was cool we used a funnel, the ash was spooned into coffee filter paper and distilled water added to flush the salts into a jar but leave the ash particles behind. This is called leaching. This salty liquid was then evaporated without boiling leaving a white salt. Sometimes we have found that this salt residue was not fully clean. However this salt residue was then put in a crucible and calcinated at very high temperature leaving a bone white residue. This was then ground up to powder, again it was put in filter paper in a funnel and flushed through with distilled water. This salty liquid was again evaporated to give a fully purified salt residue. In Spagyrics this relates to the purified Salt Principal.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2du9umx.jpg

Purification of Sulphur Principal

http://i58.tinypic.com/2zxt6v5.jpg

The dark liquid was evaporated down to a thick viscous syrup and then taken outdoors and calcinated on a camping stove in the same way as the plant matter was. When it had stopped bubbling and smoking all that was left was a shiny black ash. Our method for Calcinating this Fixt Sulphur has been taken from a Robert Bartlett's book Real Alchemy pp. 37. The black shiney ash was ground up and residue from the alcohol distillation and/or distilled water was used to dampen the ash. It was left overnight and the next day lightly calcinated again. This process was repeated over several days until the black ash had turned light grey. It was then leached in the same way as the salt was. The ash was put into coffee filter paper in a funnel, distilled water was then used to flush through the ash and collect the salts in solution with water. The White residue that is left after evaporation of this liquid is called the Fixt Sulphur.

http://i61.tinypic.com/2uigahh.jpg

Purification of Mercury

http://i57.tinypic.com/2v92akp.jpg

Here we had the alcohol that was separated from the dark liquid distilled in the retort whilst liquid that had already had its alcohol removed was being evaporated down to a thick gum.

The alcohol was rectified 7 times in the retort each time, any milky residue was set aside and used with the Fixt Sulphur in the manner previously mentioned. After 7 distillations the alcohol is above 90% concentration and is now representative of the purified Mercury Principal.

http://i58.tinypic.com/154zggx.jpg

Cohobation

The Salt and Fixt Sulphur were added together in equal volume, any surplus of one or the other was not needed. A 5ml medicine spoon was used to help measure the total volume of the mixed salts. These were put in an Erlenmeyer flask and 10 times the volume of the prepared alcohol (Mercury) was added. This was then sealed airtight using a silicon stopper, the flask was wrapped in kitchen foil to keep it in darkness. The flask was then placed in the incubator set at 42 centigrade and checked for completion after 6 weeks.

http://i60.tinypic.com/2lk46dj.jpg

The final elixir to be ingested at homeopathic dosage levels only.

Another layer of alcohol added to salts, again 10 times volume of salts, flask wrapped and put in incubator again.

In our experience a 3rd layer does not extract elixir but a second layer will get an extraction of elixir.

Our method as shown above is work in progress and we welcome constructive criticism and suggestions on how to improve the praxis.

Nibiru
03-16-2015, 11:59 PM
Very cool, thanks for sharing! I'm interested to see the result of your incubation if you have images

Ghislain
03-17-2015, 01:57 AM
I wonder if we are losing something in the burn, for if the smoke was captured there would be many other elements such as alcohol and tar that could be captured.

Love what you have done so far.

Ghislain

Axismundi000
03-17-2015, 07:43 AM
Very cool, thanks for sharing! I'm interested to see the result of your incubation if you have images
In the last photo above, the completed elixir is on the left. The 2nd batch for the incubator on the right and the alcohol-Mercury-menstruum in the centre.

Here is a picture of completed mint elixir and the next extraction Mercury/alcohol just added ready to be wrapped and put in incubator.
http://i62.tinypic.com/35bbc00.jpg

The photo looks different compared to the naked eye. The extraction ready for the incubator is already a light purple, the completed elixir when held briefly up to the sunlight has deep purple in it.

I store my elixirs in darkness, this one had the quickest and most obvious changes so far.

Axismundi000
03-17-2015, 07:47 AM
I wonder if we are losing something in the burn, for if the smoke was captured there would be many other elements such as alcohol and tar that could be captured.

Love what you have done so far.

Ghislain
An interesting point Ghislain. I think what you suggest could be more along the line of Hollandus opera Vegetabilia for which I would need higher spec lab gear. Albertus gave us a method that allowed results with basic equipment.

Nibiru
03-17-2015, 03:12 PM
thanks for the image, I really like glow of the light purple/pink flask of the mint work. Did it start out more clear, green, or yellow?

Axismundi000
03-17-2015, 03:44 PM
It looks different in the photo to real life. For both extractions for the mint, when the Mercury was added to the two salts it went light purple straight away. It made us wonder if it had finished already but we put it in the incubator for 6 weeks anyway. The final decanted elixir is the strangest of the ones we have made. It looks kind of yellow but then you hold it up to a bright light or reflect the sun through it and it has deep royal purple rippling in it. Tried to photo that but it didn't show.

Axismundi000
03-21-2015, 01:40 PM
http://i61.tinypic.com/2rz9emq.jpg

This is the leached Salt from the 1st full Calcination. It is still dirty so I will take at least half the can to burn away impurities. A kiln would make this part easier, just cook off water of crystallisation on a hob then put in kiln.

Safety point; The GAZ cylinder is on a cold surface, i turn the cooker off at mains and check the temperature of the Hob before commencing.

Ilos
03-21-2015, 07:57 PM
Hey, thanks for sharing this Axismundi,
Please let me ask you some questions for which it concerns me for my future experiments.
Why didn't you extract the sulfur from the plant with 90% alcohol..
Why are you mixing the salts after their extraction, should have you mixed the salt with sulfur than evaporate the liquid and calcine the fixed salt..
Are you going to extract that fixed salt of sulfur by retard distillation?

Axismundi000
03-21-2015, 10:42 PM
Hey, thanks for sharing this Axismundi,
Please let me ask you some questions for which it concerns me for my future experiments.
Why didn't you extract the sulfur from the plant with 90% alcohol..
Why are you mixing the salts after their extraction, should have you mixed the salt with sulfur than evaporate the liquid and calcine the fixed salt..
Are you going to extract that fixed salt of sulfur by retard distillation?
The 50/50 alcohol water maceration extracts both alcohol and water soluble compounds from the plant which are both relating to the Sulphur and needed in the basic Spagyric procedure. So the water also extracts Sulphur from the maceration.

In the paradigm I have adopted for this work the purified (Calcinated) Salt principal, and the purified (more gently Calcinated) Sulphur principal represent body and soul. The purified (distilled 7 times) Mercury principal, the spirit/life force, is then added for Cohobation.

To retard distillation I could have used a vigrex colum on a full distillation train I suppose. Apart from needing higher spec gear the fewer distillations to get the Mercury would not have purified it, oil might still be present which are needed for the work with the sulphur. Spiritually speaking it would not have been distilled to 7 eagles. Distilling actual salts is kind of advanced compared to this basic approach.

I have followed the basic Spagyric procedure Separation, Purification, Cohobation. This basic process can even be found on wikipedia using the search term Spagyrics.

It is thanks to Frater Albertus and authors who followed that this straightforward method which only needs basic air cooled lab glass is available to us. As Dubuis mentioned, well made spagyric elixirs have effects which 'are significant'.

Ilos
03-23-2015, 01:25 AM
Thank you Axismundi, your really doing a wonderful work there and yea it is true that it depends on whose method your putting into practice but sometimes in order to put all the peaces of the puzzle together you have to learn from others as well. You never know, you might be missing something in the process or you might think that you'v completed it correctly and later on find out that there was more than you thought. Maybe there's a couple of more methods to purify the salts and cleansing with its own distilled sulfur before applying the marriage of the fixed sulfur + salts with mercury (rectified alcohol) which its done by circulation.
I am not sure here but I think that when you want to go further with the stages of purification than maybe you will want to have the pure distilled sulfur of the plant which I think that it is best to distill it it with water (not mix it with alcohol) and distill it with a soxhlet etc, and keep the distilled sulfur without touching the mercury until further operations are complete..
Oh and also to keep something in mind is that the further you want to go with the purification the larger quantity of the plant you will need.

Axismundi000
03-23-2015, 07:25 AM
Thank you for your suggestions Ilos.

Circulating in a Soxhlet or pelican would doubtless enhance the elixir. The reason I posted this in a step by step way is because this method/paradigm has been repeatedly published and can be done with basic equipment. It surprises me that this basic procedure has not been clearly shown because various authors have identified that with these simple Spagyric elixirs the artist unlocks greater wonders for themselves. Looking around here and on-line generally I did not see any clear usefull example of this well publicised and basic, fundamental method. Knowledge, daring, will and silence are vital to progress, in this instance I did not ignore the virtue of silence because of repeated outlines of the method in various books and on-line.