PDA

View Full Version : Spaegyrie Questions

atmamo
07-15-2015, 08:23 PM
Has anyone ever worked with genetically modifying plants and noting any changes in SM or etc? I find that I will be going down this path sooner or later.

Axismundi000
07-17-2015, 08:36 AM
An interesting question.

So for example tomatoes with a bit of fish DNA if a basic spagyric was made what Kingdom would it be in. Also would a plant stone act on some tomatoe wine just finished brewing in the same way?

These things can be practically examined. I am against GM foods so reluctant to buy some to experiment because that would support the stuff.

EMDiderot
11-29-2015, 02:52 PM
From a purely hypothetical perspective, I would assume GM plants would act very similarly. Even if animal DNA is spliced into a vegetable strand, because the plant is still growing in the womb of the earth and flowering and producing a vegetable fruit, it would remain in the same kingdom. This is just me surmising, but given the importance of the proper seed in the proper womb, from an alchemical perspective, I don't think it would do much. I'm also very new to practical alchemy, so I could also be wrong. :)

This problem shouldn't be that widespread, even given the examples of fish DNA being used to render hardier strawberries, considering most GMO's are created by cross-breeding different strands of the same plant that wouldn't normally cross-pollinate in nature, such as the example of certain strains of rice being developed for higher yields with greater tolerance to flooding for use in SE Asia. The only plants being used are other strains of rice. So using this GM rice wouldn't pose the problem of proper kingdom placement since everything that went into its development is from the vegetable kingdom. I'm not so against GMO's politically that I refuse to purchase anything that *might* have been tampered with at one point or another, so I would be willing to add this to my list of experiments to report on. It'll just cost me money instead of using the herbs I grow myself.

elixirmixer
06-13-2016, 11:13 AM
Interesting question. The answer, most likely makes no difference at all. GM foods have certain 'genes' cut out or replaced. But the percentage of the vegetable's DNA to be effected would be less then one percent. Not 100% on that but I will check my biology books in the morning. DNA sequences are very very long. But it doesn't take much to make the changes they want, since the changes are usually very specific.

So you can't take a strawberry, change 1% of it to a fish and put it in a fish tank. It's still a strawberry. It still walks like a strawberry and talks like a strawberry... ...

Another clear cut answer here... if things 'change kingdoms' (for a start, what an effort, hard to think of any substances that can even do that)((acetic acid? ))
Then their mercury would need to be different. So I suppose an easy way to tell is to see if ethanol 'stops working' on it.

But in most cases, the change is negligible. Other than for giving your great grand children cancer, in which case the change has been shown to be quite profound.

BTW, all your fucking food is GM these days, don't believe the buckshit they feed your ears. They sneak this crap into the market in a dozen different ways.