PDA

View Full Version : The Alchemy of Girlfriends

zoas23
09-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Hi!

This is a weird post... it is about the girlfriends I've had during my last years and about my perception that life itself is an alchemical process. Due to respect for them, I will "hide" their names and only give some hints about their literal meanings.
The post would be better with real names, but it would be in poor taste.

The first one in the process: a woman whose name literally translates as the name of the smell of a specific essential oil. Whilst I was with her, my interest for alchemy started to develop... her strange name, I take it as a hint to the sense of smell, guiding me towards a specific direction.

The second one in the process had a name that is the literal translation of Netzach. With her everything was putrefaction, though such thing isn't "negative" in itself... It was something I needed to purify myself.

When I split up with "Netzach", I started to date a woman whose name literally means "Cauda Pavonis"... a lot of "colors" everywhere, but she was a very deceiving person. Very interesting, but also quite misleading... impossible to become "ONE" with the Cauda Pavonis, it's just a step towards something else.

When I split up with "Cauda Pavonis" I felt very depressed and I felt down into a nigredo phase of my life. I started to work in the lab to experiment with the transmutation (this isn't the right word, not exactly) from the Nigredo phase to the Albus phase. I reached a form of the Albus phase in the lab (an "albus" of the spagyrics realm)

Suddenly I met a girl whose name is one of the most typical names given to the Albus phase... She was a very dominant woman, she wanted me to do everything that she wanted... some day she described our relationship as a "relationship between two lesbians" (even if I am a male and not even bisexual). The "Albus" volatilized.

I felt very sad again, everything was "over" for me.

And then I met another woman whose name literally means "persistence". Such thing brought a new hope, the idea that nothing was over, that my life wasn't over... I've learnt a lot with "persistence", but we had very different paths in our lives.

So my relation with "persistence" started to go nowhere, and then I met a woman whose name means literally: "the most exalted thing". I took the meaning of her name as a code word for the stone, as if she was "Perenelle", whose name is also symbolic.
With "the most exalted thing" I've reached the STONE of my love life. My intention is to marry to her and her intention is to marry me. With her I can be ONE, in HER I found the Stone, our mutual stone, our perfect communication, perfect divine love.

There isn't any "fantasy" in the names... all of them mean LITERALLY what I said, I simply don't write them in respect for them.

Anyway... anyone else has felt that his/her love life is very much like an alchemical process in a very literal way?

I've talked about it with a few alchemists, I call it "the alchemy of the girlfriends" (or boyfriends for some others)... in my case the NAMES have been very important.

Something similar happened to anyone else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES6yLaW7Bwc

Michael Sternbach
09-10-2015, 04:34 PM
Congratulations, zoas! If there is any offspring resulting from the relationship, may I suggest that you use equivalents of "multiplication" as their names?

Kiorionis
09-11-2015, 12:18 AM
Anyway... anyone else has felt that his/her love life is very much like an alchemical process in a very literal way?

Yes! Mine have never made it out of the putrefaction phase :D

But certainly an interesting analogy. Congratulations on the sorer mystical!

zoas23
09-11-2015, 03:53 AM
Congratulations, zoas! If there is any offspring resulting from the relationship, may I suggest that you use equivalents of "multiplication" as their names?

We are for sure going to have sons, it's one of our desires.
We have talked a lot about names, though I prefer not to choose a name right now.
My girlfriend has a theory, that the names should not be chose to early... She wrote a fantastic essay that I loved reading. It is about "non-biological persons".
A non-biological person is a person who "exists", but does not have a biological existence.
I.e, if you plan to have a son, and you decide that he's going to be named "Henry" and you start talking about "Henry" and think of the kindergarden where he will study, the games you are going to play with "Henry" and so on... then "Henry" is a non-biological person... but you are designing his fate.
(something very similar can happen with people who has died... it is usual to find persons who are still "married" to someone who is "dead", but who is still a non-biological person).

Since I love the Greeks, but I am not in love with their Fatalism... I won't think of names right now.

In my life the names of my girlfriends create some sort of "alchemical tale", a story... I am sure that something similar happened to probably everyone here, even though it may not involve "names" at all. In my cae it does.

The interesting thing about it is that it allowed me to re-think the whole of my past life, the good things and the bad things.

I don't really like Nietzsche (and I've read his complete works), but among a lot of ideas from him that I don't specially love, there is a specific phrase in "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" which I dearly appreciate:

"To redeem the past and to transform every ‘It was’ into an ‘I willed it thus!’ – that alone I call redemption!"

That one is one of the most beautiful definitions of "redemptions" I've ever found. It is understanding that everything we did was necessary to what we are doing (the salts we melted by mistake, the flasks that exploded, the soxhlet that fell to the floor, the girlfriend that was always hysterical, the boring math classes at school, the time in which we had vacations with 20 friends for a month just to discover that we didn't enjoy having vacations with them, the parents we had, the way in which we were educated, the absurd fashions we may have followed... If we can find a space to say: "thank you" to each one of those things and express our gratitude about the fact that they happened and how those events created what we are.... I believe we gain something very unique).

As for the Nigredo phase... learn to kiss it, learn to understand it, learn to analyze, never curse it... but do not make it become your home. Think about it as a vital step towards something else that comes later as the result of that phase.

Michael Sternbach
09-11-2015, 09:41 PM
You want to have only sons?

Where is the Alchemical balance in that?

Awani
09-11-2015, 10:48 PM
A non-biological person is a person who "exists", but does not have a biological existence.

There is a tribe in Africa where the birth date of a child is counted not from when they were born, nor from when they are conceived but from the day that the child was a thought in its mother’s mind. And when a woman decides that she will have a child, she goes off and sits under a tree, by herself, and she listens until she can hear the song of the child that wants to come. And after she’s heard the song of this child, she comes back to the man who will be the child’s father, and teaches it to him. And then, when they make love to physically conceive the child, some of that time they sing the song of the child, as a way to invite it. - source (https://theperfectbirth.wordpress.com/2013/04/22/the-himba-namibia-the-birth-song/)

:cool:

Ghislain
09-12-2015, 12:54 PM
That's beautiful.

Ghislain

zoas23
09-13-2015, 12:42 AM
You want to have only sons?

Where is the Alchemical balance in that?

LOL... A silly language barrier.

My natural language is Spanish, a "Latin-based" language... in most of the languages which are derivations from Latin the "neutral gender" has been replaced by a special use of the "masculine gender" that acts as "neutral".

If you have two daughters and two sons, in Spanish the natural expression to talk about them would be literally: "these are my four sons".

My mistake, I was using English as if it was Spanish. I do not have a special preference for "masculine kids" when it comes to kids.

Enligh is kinda tricky when it comes to genders for people who naturally speaks Latin-based languages.

zoas23
09-13-2015, 12:54 AM
There is a tribe in Africa where the birth date of a child is counted not from when they were born, nor from when they are conceived but from the day that the child was a thought in its mother’s mind. And when a woman decides that she will have a child, she goes off and sits under a tree, by herself, and she listens until she can hear the song of the child that wants to come. And after she’s heard the song of this child, she comes back to the man who will be the child’s father, and teaches it to him. And then, when they make love to physically conceive the child, some of that time they sing the song of the child, as a way to invite it. - source

Amazing... that one is EXACTLY the theory that my girlfriend wrote, though not making any reference to Africa (disclosure: she's a psychoanalyst, though an open minded one).
There is BEAUTY and DANGER in that notion... a notion that does not just exist in Africa, but probably in every culture (when a couple decides to have a son, the "son" usually begins to exist before the conception itself).

The DANGER of this whole thing is to DEFINE how he has to be and disturbing his/her free will. Your dream may be having a son who will be an alchemist or an artist or a musician... but maybe his will is to be a mathematician or becoming a professional skateboarder.

I do strongly believe that the parents should provide their sons (daughters) all the tools they need to become what they want to become, there's by far more beauty in it than trying to "shape" a kid according to your own will.

i.e, something typical in many cultures is to name a kid after a dead ancestor... I would NEVER do such thing. S/he does not need to carry the good and bad karma of that specific ancestor and deserves to live his life without having the pressure of fulfilling somebody else's dreams.

A kid can be an "alchemical project", but at the same time it's VERY different. The duty of a parent is not to define it, but to let him/her define himself.

Peter Barnes
11-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Thank you Zoas for the nice thread.

Seeing as its kind of relevant I'll post this HERE (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4563-Sexual-Vampirism).

Mod Note: Continued on this Spin-Off Thread: Sexual Vampirism (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4563-Sexual-Vampirism)

------------------------------------------------------------------