PDA

View Full Version : Alchemical Honey

EMDiderot
11-28-2015, 02:19 AM
I recently completed my first run of creating four of the seven planetary tinctures. (I previously only had a suspension of salts in water) While preparing them, I separated the water solution based on a post I saw when I first came across the Alchemy Forums (Located here (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4333-Basic-Spagyric-Elixir-Albertus-approach)). While reducing the solution to obtain the salt of sulfur, I was perusing my notes from Junius, Stavish, and Albertus, and thought it interesting that none of the three recommended separating the alcohol from the water of the maceration except for purifying the alchemical mercury.

I found this interesting because it seems the assumption is that either the purified mercury is reintroduced to the sulfur, and is again diluted, or the aqueous sulfur is thrown out. I found this interesting because, in the creation of the tinctures, the mercury and the salt are both purified, but the sulfur isn't. So I decided to continue reducing to see what I could do with it.

Unfortunately, at this point I realized that I didn't have the proper set up for the extensive calcining and leeching process described for obtaining the salt of sulfur as one would do in pursuing the ens, but it's also about the time I noticed the solution becoming much more viscous, darker, and more pungent. I am fairly certain I obtained the "alchemical honey" mentioned by Stavish in his description of obtaining the salt of sulfur, and so I cohobated it with the mercury prior to adding the salts.

This had two effects--the aromatic quality of the tincture was greatly increased, and the tincture was rendered almost completely opaque. I have only been taking the tinctures for a week, so I'm not ready to report any kind of results compared to my previous salt solutions, but welcome any feedback from anyone who has experimented with alchemical honey. The only reference I've come across is that "some experiments call for it, but you will generally reduce this in order to calcine it to obtain the salt of sulfur"--paraphrased from Stavish.

zoas23
11-28-2015, 09:32 AM
I recently completed my first run of creating four of the seven planetary tinctures. (I previously only had a suspension of salts in water) While preparing them, I separated the water solution based on a post I saw when I first came across the Alchemy Forums (Located here (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4333-Basic-Spagyric-Elixir-Albertus-approach)). While reducing the solution to obtain the salt of sulfur, I was perusing my notes from Junius, Stavish, and Albertus, and thought it interesting that none of the three recommended separating the alcohol from the water of the maceration except for purifying the alchemical mercury.

I found this interesting because it seems the assumption is that either the purified mercury is reintroduced to the sulfur, and is again diluted, or the aqueous sulfur is thrown out. I found this interesting because, in the creation of the tinctures, the mercury and the salt are both purified, but the sulfur isn't. So I decided to continue reducing to see what I could do with it.

Unfortunately, at this point I realized that I didn't have the proper set up for the extensive calcining and leeching process described for obtaining the salt of sulfur as one would do in pursuing the ens, but it's also about the time I noticed the solution becoming much more viscous, darker, and more pungent. I am fairly certain I obtained the "alchemical honey" mentioned by Stavish in his description of obtaining the salt of sulfur, and so I cohobated it with the mercury prior to adding the salts.

This had two effects--the aromatic quality of the tincture was greatly increased, and the tincture was rendered almost completely opaque. I have only been taking the tinctures for a week, so I'm not ready to report any kind of results compared to my previous salt solutions, but welcome any feedback from anyone who has experimented with alchemical honey. The only reference I've come across is that "some experiments call for it, but you will generally reduce this in order to calcine it to obtain the salt of sulfur"--paraphrased from Stavish.

I've done it that way only ONCE (though I used the "honey" AND the salt of sulphur).
In an usual situation I do not use the "honey".
When I did use it, it was for a gift to a friend and the elixir was not meant to be consumed, but simply used as decoration:
http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4511-a-small-box-for-a-friend (Picture of it).

The elixir itself is the "flask inside the flask" (in my picture). It does have a portion of the Caput Mortuum inside (something I do not often do either).

My result was that the elixir did not "mix" into an homogeneous substance, but got divided in many phases or plateaus. The one in the bottom is, of course, the Caput Mortuum. I knew that the Caput was going to remain "unmixed". The other "plateaus" it's hard for me to say what is what there, but my guess is that the upper "plateau" is the honey.

Other than that, you mention that you don't have the proper set up for an extensive calcination. If your problem is that you don't have a bunsen, then I may have something to help you (if you need it). This is something I did for a friend too, but I kept a "copy" for myself: a portable bunsen:

http://s15.postimg.org/vrntcz5l7/12319332_10208234240921500_1539599524_n.jpg

It is simply a matter of purchasing a typical butane torch, the ones that get "connected" to a regular butane gas cartridge (a model with a "long tube"... like the one I show at the right of the photo)... and then you can cut the upper part of the tube and simply connect it to the hose that you connect to the bunsen. Of course, a metallic security seal (is this the right English word?) has to be "attached" to the part of the hose that connects to the bunsen and another to the part that connects to the upper part of the tube of the torch:

http://s1.postimg.org/9ig3lwtlb/12319305_10208234281162506_1772408358_n.jpg

The "portable bunsen" works as good as a bunsen that is connected in a the usual way in a "traditional" lab. I have both versions and they are identical, the only difference is that the butane gas bunsen can be a bit "dirty" for your crucible (it will stain them with black stains because the combustion is less perfect, but the stains are easily cleaned with water afterwards, so it's not a big problem).

EMDiderot
11-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Thank you for the tips on creating the portable bunsen. I don't know what the actual term fo r those seals is, but I know exactly what you're talking about! My biggest problem is the smokiness of the extended calcination and the proximity of neighbors if I do it outside. But I do have a shed that would be useful with a setup like this.

My honey seems to have mixed fairly well--nothing has suspended out of solution. One of them seems to have caused some kind of crystalline precipitate, but this was also the one that I rushed a little bit, so it was most likely much hotter than the other honeys when I poured it into the mercury. Both the mercury and aqueous sulfur were strained multiple times before reduction and recombination, so none of the caput mortuum should have remained behind except the tiny amount that is able to pass through the filter (I also lack a proper distillation train currently, but that is being rectified). But apart from a negligible amount of soluble distillate that seems to settle at the bottom after a few days, I have had no separation in mine.

I am going to start a second maceration this weekend, this time using all seven herbs, and I will try to recreate the same elixirs utilizing the honey.

Note to the community: Wormwood used for Mars is a bad idea if you value your taste buds. Even wormwood steeped in tea will be bitter enough to overpower everything else. After maceration and reduction of the honey you end up with something that, with only ten drops in 8 oz of water, will ruin your day with its bitterness. I had to drink about three cups of water as a chaser to get rid of the bitterness. I think I will have it with wine or a fruit juice this upcoming Tuesday and see how it goes. :cool:

zoas23
11-28-2015, 06:17 PM
Thank you for the tips on creating the portable bunsen. I don't know what the actual term fo r those seals is, but I know exactly what you're talking about! My biggest problem is the smokiness of the extended calcination and the proximity of neighbors if I do it outside. But I do have a shed that would be useful with a setup like this.

My honey seems to have mixed fairly well--nothing has suspended out of solution. One of them seems to have caused some kind of crystalline precipitate, but this was also the one that I rushed a little bit, so it was most likely much hotter than the other honeys when I poured it into the mercury. Both the mercury and aqueous sulfur were strained multiple times before reduction and recombination, so none of the caput mortuum should have remained behind except the tiny amount that is able to pass through the filter (I also lack a proper distillation train currently, but that is being rectified). But apart from a negligible amount of soluble distillate that seems to settle at the bottom after a few days, I have had no separation in mine.

I am going to start a second maceration this weekend, this time using all seven herbs, and I will try to recreate the same elixirs utilizing the honey.

Note to the community: Wormwood used for Mars is a bad idea if you value your taste buds. Even wormwood steeped in tea will be bitter enough to overpower everything else. After maceration and reduction of the honey you end up with something that, with only ten drops in 8 oz of water, will ruin your day with its bitterness. I had to drink about three cups of water as a chaser to get rid of the bitterness. I think I will have it with wine or a fruit juice this upcoming Tuesday and see how it goes. :cool:

Oh, if smoke is a problem for you, I know a trick:

Once you have the "honey", instead of using a bunsen, you can use a butane torch (like the one I've shown in the right of the picture) and calcinate the substance with DIRECT fire using the torch.

You will simply have to move the torch in circles, you know, similar to the movement that you probably make whilst cooking a soup and you stir it.

Use gloves and protection lenses!!!!! Since some of the liquid may boil and touch your hands or face.

I ignore the reason, but if you use a torch directly on the substance, the amount of smoke is reduced to a minimum.

If you follow this procedure, you will suddenly end up having hard matter... if that's the case, use a mortar.
With some plants, the result will be a powder and the mortar won't be needed.

You can keep on using the torch till the substance / powder is so volatile (in the most mundane sense of the word, not in an "alchemical" sense") that the "wind" that the torch creates will make it "fly" and you won't be able to keep on using the torch without making the whole thing fly away.

Once you are there, you can use a bunsen.

Trust me, if you follow this procedure, the neighbours won't even notice the smoke.

I actually calcinate indoors following this procedure and my house does not stink (the same thing can be done with herbs... exactly the same thing, but for getting the "sal salis" without creating a lot of smoke. The only difference is that with dry herbs it is faster).

EMDiderot
11-29-2015, 02:46 PM
I would assume using a butane torch on dried herbs would make them fly away almost immediately. I'll have to invest in a torch, then, as I've been calcining only miniscule amounts of plant ash in order to obtain the sal salis to minimize smoke (stove-top calcining is a PAIN). Thank you very much for all of these tips!

elixirmixer
11-17-2016, 12:35 AM
Best way to calcine is with a reverberating furnace, second best, one of these bad boys https://tabletopfurnace.com/product/rapidfire-pro-l/

next after that ive found is in the grill of an electric stove. because the heat is moving downward (calcination seems to much prefer heat coming from above than from below ive notived, makes things a lot quicker anyway.)

Not sure i would blast my honey with butane gas, you are likely to contaminate your sample.

As Zoas said, the combustion is not very good on those things.