PDA

View Full Version : Aikido

Awani
12-29-2015, 03:13 PM
Spin-off from this (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4536-Belief-amp-Fact-Truth&p=40194#post40194).

------------------------------------

Not to get side-tracked but it depends on your level of skill in for example Aikido (which is a martial art I have trained in myself). I do not consider Aikido to be soft... it depends on how soft you practice it. Anyway my point is, and please don't take it the wrong way, but the reason you got stabbed was your own fault. Just as when "bad" things have happend to me it has always been my fault (for example the false sense of confidence). See this thread: Your fault! (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?1559-Your-fault!)

:cool:

Peter Barnes
12-29-2015, 03:51 PM
Yes Dev - we are responsible for the positions we put ourselves in most of the time, I would agree with that.:o
Yes and I do love even now Aikidou and some types as Yoshiinkai are more rigid forms of Aikidou, the problem is that they set you up for failure in the REAL world seeing as attacks come in forms of the interview technique and you get sucker punched by another assailant, knife defence in most martial arts is very unrealistic, but its very difficult to make knife attacks or other types of attacks realistic, as I said taichi and aikidou the way it is taught wires your brain to flow in nice patterns, circles etc but real conflict is violent, scruffy, various factors like weapons, slippery surfaces, people shouting, feints and bluffs, name calling, multiples, dogs, vehicles, surfaces like walls tables etc, so many factors that are not taught in traditional schools cause 1: they stick to outdated methods 2: It would be very difficult to train that way, their students would go elsewhere for their soft training.
I doesn't mean for example that Taiji/aikidou could not be made to function better in the real world, but the way many teach in the west makes them and many other so called martial arts unrealistic, I mean they are great when you train with fellow students or even in competition but they practise what I have termed 'martial incest', they screw around with their own kind and then wonder why it doesn't work as they thought in a real situation, I always thought one should be a 'martial whore':o and play around with all kinds of opponents and then you'd get a more rounded view, and that still would'nt prepare you for the street.

Aikidou does look nice though and I do have a soft spot for it.

Awani
12-29-2015, 03:57 PM
When I trained Aikido we learned one technique for two weeks and then we moved to the next one. At one point we had a master from Japan (very old man) come visit us. He was amazing. I tried to smash his face in and he threw me down like I was nothing. I asked how long the kids in Japan trained the same technique we did for two weeks before they moved on to the next technique and he said three years!!!

So the problem lies with gringo mentality more than the art of Aikido.

:cool:

Peter Barnes
12-29-2015, 04:09 PM
I had similar experiences in China when a master put me in a painful lock, my ego still reminds me of that occasion! Living in Asia one gets to taste a more sturdy form of taiji/aikidou but it's like anything, these masters are great but in a real fight with a non compliant attacker for example a boxer or MMA guy the master wouln't find it so easy, I got into the 'training with master in the mountains in china or japan' trap/dream, I did meet masters but they are like you or me, we tend to put them up on a pedestal but in reality once you get to know them they aren't all that (hedonic adaptation)
A magician can show a child some cool tricks and the child will be amazed and astonished and in awe and it's a similar thing, I was in awe of these old guys and let them 'beat' me as I respected them and of coure they had great skill too, but in asia you can't beat a teacher, they would lose face. I suppose I have a bit of a perfectionist attitude but yeah there are some really good guys in China/Japan and other parts of the world that you can learn from, I found Russians to be particularly formidable.

Archangel
04-12-2016, 01:42 AM
I am currently learning Ketsu-Ka which is a combination of Aikido, Judo, Ju Jitsu and Savate. I am at the green belt level...not quite a year yet, but so far, liking it very much.