PDA

View Full Version : Make Food Grade Lye (Sodium Hydroxide)

ghetto alchemist
01-03-2016, 06:03 AM
This is a follow on from a discussion about making ormus precipitates for ingesting HERE. (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4560-My-first-post-Gold-experiment-after-4-years-advice-please!!/page3)

Firstly I have never made my own food grade lye, I simply buy it, and I strongly recommend others do the same. However if like me you live in nanny state where food grade lye is banned, you may have no other choice except to make it yourself. I am fortunate that there are a couple of states in Australia where food-grade lye is still legal to sell in supermarkets, so I simply periodically take an interstate holiday, and bring some lye back with me.

2 paths that I know of.

1st path:
Heat some baking soda in a shallow pan at 200 degrees celcius for an hour.
(this converts it to sodium carbonate)
And then add this powder to a saturated solution of calcium hydroxide.
Calcium Hydroxide is available from some Asian grocery stores, used in some sort of Thai cooking.
It is also an ingredient in home-bake heroin, so try any asian grocery stores in the rough parts of town. The stuff I've seen in supermarkets has a label that says "lime stone paste", and it's either white or red in color.

The downside to this method is that Calcium Hydroxide isn't very easy to dissolve in water.
And since I can fairly easily buy food-grade lye, I never actually tried this method yet.

2nd path:
Electrolyse salt water.
For this method, table salt and drinking water are both easy enough to acquire, but you'll need a slightly fancy apparatus.
You need 2 chambers/containers able to hold liquid, with an ion bridge connecting them.
The ion bridge can be either a wet towel, blob of gelatine, or even a garden ceramic pot

One chamber/container has ordinary tap water.
The other chamber/container has salt water.

Pop a food grade electrode in each solution (stainless steel knife blade perhaps)

Connect your positive and negative terminals and let it rip.
I don't which electrode goes where, but if you connect it right, the tap water turns to lye.
This process would almost certainly generate chlorine, so proper caution should be taken.

And of course, I have never tried the electrolysis method for lye production either.

As always....be safe!

GA

JDP
01-03-2016, 10:54 AM
This is a follow on from a discussion about making ormus precipitates for ingesting HERE. (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4560-My-first-post-Gold-experiment-after-4-years-advice-please!!/page3)

Firstly I have never made my own food grade lye, I simply buy it, and I strongly recommend others do the same. However if like me you live in nanny state where food grade lye is banned, you may have no other choice except to make it yourself. I am fortunate that there are a couple of states in Australia where food-grade lye is still legal to sell in supermarkets, so I simply periodically take an interstate holiday, and bring some lye back with me.

2 paths that I know of.

1st path:
Heat some baking soda in a shallow pan at 200 degrees celcius for an hour.
(this converts it to sodium carbonate)
And then add this powder to a saturated solution of calcium hydroxide.
Calcium Hydroxide is available from some Asian grocery stores, used in some sort of Thai cooking.
It is also an ingredient in home-bake heroin, so try any asian grocery stores in the rough parts of town. The stuff I've seen in supermarkets has a label that says "lime stone paste", and it's either white or red in color.

The downside to this method is that Calcium Hydroxide isn't very easy to dissolve in water.
And since I can fairly easily buy food-grade lye, I never actually tried this method yet.

It is not necessary to make a solution of the calcium hydroxide, which would indeed require a large volume of water. You can simply add it as is to the alkaline carbonate solution and then heat the mixture. Beware, however, that after the alkaline hydroxide is produced, it might start attacking the glass container if left there for long periods of time. In order to keep a control of when all the alkaline carbonate has been transformed into hydroxide, every 10 or so minutes take samples of the hot solution with a pipette and add a few drops of them to a sample of vinegar or any other acid in a test tube. If it effervesces that means that the solution still contains some alkaline carbonate. If it barely makes any reaction it means that practically all the alkaline carbonate has been transformed into hydroxide, and you can stop the heating. All that remains is to let cool the mixture and separate the soluble alkaline hydroxide from the insoluble calcium carbonate.