PDA

View Full Version : Are we living a virtual reality?

Ghislain
03-07-2016, 03:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGxVGtkTa4s

Ghislain

Ghislain
03-07-2016, 04:43 PM
Just to put things into some perspective...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZzHnZzm_58

Using quantum superposition and entanglement data transfer will become exponentially faster.

Ghislain

Andro
03-07-2016, 05:11 PM
Are we living a virtual reality?

'Yes', 'we' 'are' :cool:

In Alchemy it is sometimes referred to as 'False Creation'.

In Hermeticism - 'Mental Creation'.

In some Eastern traditions - 'Maya' (illusion).

And 'Virtual Reality' among the more spiritual/scientific Western researchers.

My own 'question' would be: Would I/we prefer to continue being recycled in endlessly recurring VR cycles, or get the fuck away from it altogether (assuming that's possible and even that classical Alchemy might actually serve as a support - but not a 'magic pill' - for this endeavor of 'Gnostic Liberation'...)

Awani
03-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Are we living a virtual reality?

Yes we are. But it is more simple (or complicated) than a Virtual Reality... but it is the best "metaphor" we have currently.

:cool:

Kiorionis
03-07-2016, 06:38 PM
But it is more simple (or complicated) than a Virtual Reality... but it is the best "metaphor" we have currently.

Don't worry though -- I'm sure the majority of the scientific community and the mass population will get confused trying to understand it, complicate it, and then do away with the 'VR' metaphor altogether in favor of something more simple... which they then complicate and confuse. ;)

Awani
03-07-2016, 06:44 PM
Would I/we prefer to continue being recycled in endlessly recurring VR cycles, or get the fuck away from it altogether...

Whatever we "want" in this VR might not be what we actually want in that VR (other reality)... which is probably also VR... but to reach the non-VR is - I guess - to be nothing/everything.

But why create something that one eventually want to escape from? It kind of makes the Creation a "time wasting creation".

Maybe there wasn't a Big Bang... rather a Big Mistake.

Remember the days when you had to go to the video store in order to rent a video game? And then you come home and find out the game is boring, but that is all you have for the whole weekend because the allowance has been spent. Perhaps this is a good metaphorical answer for the question: "Would I/we prefer to continue being recycled..." i.e. one feels like asking such a question because the game that has been rented was not really what was desired.

All I "know" is that those that don't want to be recycled probably will be, and those that say they know they will NOT be recycled also probably will be. ;)

Andro
03-07-2016, 07:03 PM
All I "know" is that those that don't want to be recycled probably will be, and those that say they know they will NOT be recycled also probably will be. ;)

Except for those who won't :)

Maybe there wasn't a Big Bang... rather a Big Mistake.

I have more to say about that 'Big Mistake' concept, it just takes a lot of 'putting things in order' in my (virtual) 'head' to come up with at least a semi-coherent presentation of it :)

Awani
03-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Except for those who won't :)

Sure, but those people are unaware I think... it might even be so that when you feel 100 % in love with this reality (not addicted to it), just "in love with it" - then you're done.

All I feel I know is this won't work:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/file_main_image_7945_2_bebe_ne_veut_plus_manger_79 45_01_1500X1000_cache_640x360_zpsdss5talt.jpg

The Reality of Illusion (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4251-The-Reality-of-Illusion)

Archangel
03-08-2016, 01:53 AM
I've heard it said that we live in a holographic simulation and that the bigger, more real reality is the spiritual world, or higher dimensions. I believe it. Thanks for sharing these videos. Will be watching.

zoas23
03-08-2016, 02:29 AM
'Yes', 'we' 'are' :cool:

In Alchemy it is sometimes referred to as 'False Creation'.

In Hermeticism - 'Mental Creation'.

In some Eastern traditions - 'Maya' (illusion).

And 'Virtual Reality' among the more spiritual/scientific Western researchers.

My own 'question' would be: Would I/we prefer to continue being recycled in endlessly recurring VR cycles, or get the fuck away from it altogether (assuming that's possible and even that classical Alchemy might actually serve as a support - but not a 'magic pill' - for this endeavor of 'Gnostic Liberation'...)

An interesting question:

I know you have a hardcore Gnostic view (which I share).

Do you believe/think that these discoveries of Quantum Physics are in any way related to the "demiurgic creation" and the "transcendental pleroma"???
Or you think that there's not much connection between one thing and the other, except that both theories state that what we perceive is not the "ultimate reality"?

My OPINION is the latter... that Gnosticism and Quantum Physics are talking about two absolutely different and unrelated things.

Ghislain
03-08-2016, 07:21 AM
I used to have a rabbit and didn't like keeping him in a cage so I created a burrow for him in the garden.

What I didn't think of was that rabbits burrow anyway and he created a much deeper one all on his own...i was very young ;)

He used to go missing and I now know he went down the burrow he made inside of the burrow I created for him.

My hypothesis is that we may have done just that, a virtual world was created but the virtual people have gone on to create their own virtual world within it.

This may be many worlds down by now and I think we are going to do it again...

A lifetime in a lower level VW may be only a moment in the one above...

Shit that is what they suggested in the film Inception, lol I didn't even like that film...WTF :confused:

Ghislain

Andro
03-08-2016, 07:24 AM
Sure, but those people are unaware I think...

Or maybe not 'aware' in the same sense/way that we perceive 'awareness'?

All I feel I know is this won't work:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/deviadah/forum/file_main_image_7945_2_bebe_ne_veut_plus_manger_79 45_01_1500X1000_cache_640x360_zpsdss5talt.jpg

You mean that spoon-feeding won't work?

Ghislain
03-08-2016, 07:36 AM

No force feeding is better like they do with PÔtÚ de Foie Gras ;)

Oh no sorry that's called religion. :(

Ghislain

Andro
03-08-2016, 07:40 AM
I used to have a rabbit and didn't like keeping him in a cage so I created a burrow for him in the garden.
What I didn't think of was that rabbits burrow anyway and he created a much deeper one all on his own...i was very young ;)
He used to go missing and I now know he went down the burrow he made inside of the burrow I created for him.
My hypothesis is that we may have done just that, a virtual world was created but the virtual people have gone on to create their own virtual world within it.
This may be many worlds down by now and I think we are going to do it again...
A lifetime in a lower level VW may be only a moment in the one above...
Shit that is what they suggested in the film Inception, lol I didn't even like that film... WTF :confused:

I think your wabbit is an example for us all... A genuine, uncompromising researcher into the multi-layered nature of 'reality' and perception :)

Also, the fact that you didn't consciously like Inception, doesn't mean the film didn't plant some ideas in your head :)

----------------------------------------------

Interesting to notice that those VR-related discussions are sort of cyclical on AF, and also always present in the background somehow...

Andro
03-08-2016, 07:50 AM
Do you believe/think that these discoveries of Quantum Physics are in any way related to the "demiurgic creation" and the "transcendental pleroma"?

'Realated' they are, I think. Possibly not viewed as such, I guess.

Or you think that there's not much connection between one thing and the other, except that both theories state that what we perceive is not the "ultimate reality"?

In my view, 'Ultimate Reality' is not a 'reality' at all, since it is most likely completely independent from perception, time, space, memory, experience, sensory data input/information, etc...

It's 'something else' I.M.S.I., most probably impossible to describe with words/concepts/memes that are rooted in 'reality'.

My OPINION is the latter... that Gnosticism and Quantum Physics are talking about two absolutely different and unrelated things.

Define 'absolutely' and 'unrelated' :)

Awani
03-08-2016, 02:48 PM

No I mean that trying to refuse Mommy as a baby will get you nowhere. She is too powerful. ;)

Awani
03-08-2016, 05:53 PM
I love the concept of Inception. They should make more mainstream films like that.

Andro
03-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Shit that is what they suggested in the film Inception, lol I didn't even like that film...WTF :confused:The extra VR layer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p162TQ6NTc0

zoas23
03-09-2016, 12:50 AM
'Realated' they are, I think. Possibly not viewed as such, I guess.

In my view, 'Ultimate Reality' is not a 'reality' at all, since it is most likely completely independent from perception, time, space, memory, experience, sensory data input/information, etc...

It's 'something else' I.M.S.I., most probably impossible to describe with words/concepts/memes that are rooted in 'reality'.

Define 'absolutely' and 'unrelated' :)

I have to confess that one of my favorite books is the Tractatus by Wittgenstein....
In that book he mostly explains that Science, Logic and Philosophy can only explain things which can be explained by language... But that the "sense" of the Universe, the ultimate reality, is beyond what can be said... And he accepts that the ultimate "truth" can only be reached by mysticism that transcends language.

My feeling is that this "Quantum Physics" thing is still limited by the intrinsic limits that science, logic and philosophy have.

As he said:

We make to ourselves pictures of facts.

The picture presents the facts in logical space, the existence and non-existence of atomic facts.

The totality of true propositions is the total natural science (or the totality of the natural sciences).

Propositions can represent the whole reality, but they cannot represent what they must have in common with reality in order to be able to represent it -- the logical form.
To be able to represent the logical form, we should have to be able to put ourselves with the propositions outside logic, that is outside the world.

Scepticism is not irrefutable, but palpably senseless, if it would doubt where a question cannot be asked.
For doubt can only exist where there is a question; a question only where there is an answer, and this only where something can be said.

We feel that even if all possible scientific questions be asnwered, the problems of life have still not been touched at all. Of course there is then no question left, and just this is the answer.

The right method of philosophy would be this: To say nothing except what can be said, i.e. the propositions of natural science, i.e. something that has nothing to do with philosophy: and then always, when someone else wished to say something metaphysical, to demonstrate to him that he had given no meaning to certain signs in his propositions. This method would be unsatisfying to the other -- he would not have the feeling that we were teaching him philosophy -- but it would be the only strictly correct method.

My propositions are elucidatory in this way: he who understands me finally recognizes them as senseless, when he has climbed out through them, on them, over them. (He must so to speak throw away the ladder, after he has climbed up on it.)
He must surmount these propositions; then he sees the world rightly.

__________________________________________________ _____

i.e, I agree with his idea that the TRUE sense of the world can be expressed by Philosophy, Logic or Science due to the intrinsic limit they have... of course, his views were very extreme and he even questioned them in his later days... but I like the young iconoclast of science.

Ghislain
04-28-2016, 01:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcgbLwn_yYE

Ghislain

Andro
09-17-2016, 09:02 PM
Bank of America analysts think there's a 50 per cent chance we live in The Matrix (http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/bank-of-america-the-matrix-50-per-cent-virtual-reality-elon-musk-nick-bostrom-a7287471.html)

Philosophers dating back to the 16th century, notably RenÚ Descartes, have suggested we cannot rely on our sense experiences to perceive the world.

Awani
09-17-2016, 09:58 PM
Philosophers dating back to the 16th century, notably RenÚ Descartes, have suggested we cannot rely on our sense experiences to perceive the world.

From the man who got his "insights" from an angel in a dream. ;)

Ghislain
09-18-2016, 09:17 AM
If you look at what Donald Hoffman says in post 20, that we are not supposed to know the details of our reality,
then how would we create?

There are some who realised our ignorance of reality a long time ago and use this to manipulate us as
they have a better understanding of our perception of reality than the majority do, they call this advertising;
telling us what we need before we even know we need it, or at least giving us the perception of this need ;)

Someone had to know of the workings of the internet and our computers to write the software for this forum.

What benefits could we acquire if we could fully understand the reality of our existence?

"we cannot rely on our sense experiences to perceive the world"

Surely that depends on which sense we are utilising?

Ghislain