PDA

View Full Version : New text by Newton

zoas23
03-30-2016, 10:49 PM
It seems that a new (and previously unknown) manuscript by Newton about the Philosopher's Stone has been sold at an auction... and it was purchased by an institution that plans to put it online.

I didn't know where to post it, but I assume it's a "forthcoming resource!".

http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2016/03/newtons-alchemy-recipe-for-philosophers-stone-rediscovered/

(The article itself is very silly, but it contains interesting information if you skip the explanations... that the manuscript exists, that it was sold at an auction and that the purchaser wants to put it online).

Kiorionis
03-31-2016, 12:02 AM
Very interesting how manuscripts will just appear out of thin air like this!

Ghislain
03-31-2016, 08:35 PM
It would be priceless...why would they sell it?

Ghislain

zoas23
03-31-2016, 09:53 PM
The content of the manuscript may be priceless... but I take it for granted that the seller has scanned it and kept a digital copy and a touchable facsimile.

Owning the original manuscript can have a sentimental value, a historical value... but the object itself mainly has a "museum value"... it is just paper and ink (and probably paper that will be deteriorating with time unless a good restorer takes care of it and stores it in a proper way).

It's not so surprising that it got sold (a manuscript can have amazing philosophical ideas, but it's not a "work of art" in the sense that there is a HUGE difference between the original and a facsimile).