PDA

View Full Version : Homunculus

zoas23
04-27-2016, 09:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YmLWnQGZhQ

A friend showed me this video, I assume it belongs to the "Fringe Matters" section.

My guess is that the video involves some "props" and its "dramatic" ending is mostly like a horror movie of the worst kind...

Anyway, it's about someone in Russia trying to create an homunculus with a chicken egg and sperm (I don't really buy the idea that the DNA of a chicken and the DNA of a human can be mixed as to create anything like that... and I assume the foetus is simply a worm or something like that).

What do you think?

Cheetah Bunny
04-28-2016, 12:16 AM
I don't buy it either. Although I believe the idea will one day become "reality". So it says in scripture and "They" are doing experiments in USA basically doing the same thing, but instead of a chicken egg they use live animals (pig, sheep).

was wondering if that would be a chimera or homunculus? In FMA a homunculus is an artificially created human, and a chimera is the mix of DNA.

Kiorionis
04-28-2016, 01:34 PM
I think the person in the video is doing it wrong, if the intention is to develop a proper homunculus -- one which grows and learns like a natural-born child.

If it's not staged, it's at least fairy interesting to think about. The University where I live is conducting research on chickens as well, trying to 'transmute' the DNA into something more interesting. What good messing with genes will bring, I do not know

zoas23
04-29-2016, 07:10 AM
I think the person in the video is doing it wrong, if the intention is to develop a proper homunculus -- one which grows and learns like a natural-born child.

If it's not staged, it's at least fairy interesting to think about. The University where I live is conducting research on chickens as well, trying to 'transmute' the DNA into something more interesting. What good messing with genes will bring, I do not know

A lot of ideas came to my mind from this comment.

One of them is that I am strongly against the abuse of animals in labs (my favorite pet is an axolotl, who was rescued -stolen- from a lab)... but I'm sometimes a bit radical when it comes to animal rights.

Other than that, I think the whole theory of the homunculus comes from a misunderstanding of how human reproduction works.
The misunderstanding is a classical mistake of believing that the of the males sperm carries the seed of life (that comes from God), whilst the females are somehow like incubators or vessels for this seed (i.e, it is easy to see this theory in the so called "Sex Magick" ideas of the Ordo Templi Orientis and its phallic cult).

Paracelsus tried to replace the females for horse manure (a classical incubator that many alchemist mention in different contexts because it is, of course, good to keep a human-like temperature... so it was often used as a "natural incubator").

Most of the "homunculus" theories I've seen try to replace the female for another type of incubator... ignoring the fact that in the human reproduction the females provide something more than just an uterus that provides food and heat to the male sperm.

Kiorionis
04-29-2016, 01:01 PM
One of them is that I am strongly against the abuse of animals in labs (my favorite pet is an axolotl, who was rescued -stolen- from a lab)... but I'm sometimes a bit radical when it comes to animal rights.

I can understand that. Live and let live!

Other than that, I think the whole theory of the homunculus comes from a misunderstanding of how human reproduction works.
The misunderstanding is a classical mistake of believing that the of the males sperm carries the seed of life (that comes from God), whilst the females are somehow like incubators or vessels for this seed (i.e, it is easy to see this theory in the so called "Sex Magick" ideas of the Ordo Templi Orientis and its phallic cult).

Curious. In my opinion the male sperm does carry the seed of life, either potentially or as a specific adaptation, as all things are from One thing. Of course, this assumes the 'Seed of Life' as the highest source/ideal.

Paracelsus tried to replace the females for horse manure (a classical incubator that many alchemist mention in different contexts because it is, of course, good to keep a human-like temperature... so it was often used as a "natural incubator").

I don't remember him writing about that specifically. But I've always assumed horse manure to also be a metaphor for a putrefactive force. But I'll have to go back and read it again, as it's been awhile.

Most of the "homunculus" theories I've seen try to replace the female for another type of incubator... ignoring the fact that in the human reproduction the females provide something more than just an uterus that provides food and heat to the male sperm.

I agree, but again, if anyone is working with a physical vessel, I think they're doing it wrong. Replacing the female isn't necessary, because as I see it, the point of a homunculus is to take only the male/masculine or only the female/femenine and develop it towards the androgynous, in which case it can then copulation with itself and involve -- like some species of plants.

Salazius
04-29-2016, 06:36 PM
Read the Thesaurus if ever you need some serious indications about "how to make an Homunculus".

Earth, blood Stone, blood, semen ...

Kiorionis
04-29-2016, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the tip, Salazius.

:cool:

Xerilon
05-16-2016, 08:55 PM
That russian guy has a new one just uploaded :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKJJ2aO4bdo

Salazius
05-17-2016, 10:54 AM
DNA has nothing to do when we come up to Alchemy. But, Sulfur principle does.