PDA

View Full Version : Hello from British Columbia!

Cedar
05-28-2016, 07:35 PM
Hello! Being new here, I would like introduce myself. I am an English professor on Vancouver Island in Canada. My PhD dissertation focused on two mystics (Julian of Norwich and Margery Kempe); my postdoctoral fellowship focused on two alchemists (Thomas Norton and George Ripley). When teaching general medieval literature, I include a unit on alchemy (with selections from Norton and Ripley); when teaching Chaucer, I include basic alchemical concepts via "The Canon's Yeoman's Tale." My academic work on alchemy includes journal articles. I've also written a novel called The Alchemists' Council. To learn more about my work, please visit my blog: https://cyntheamasson.com/. Currently I am writing Book 2 of the series. Since two of my characters conjoin to form a Rebis, I am particularly interested in threads on the alchemical hermaphrodite, as well as representations of sexuality, the chemical wedding, and the homunculus. Being a full-time professor and writer, I am often quite busy; but I look forward to exploring the forums whenever I have time. Thank you for welcoming me!

JinRaTensei
05-28-2016, 08:01 PM
welcome to the community! :)

Awani
05-28-2016, 08:14 PM
Welcome!

:cool:

Ghislain
05-29-2016, 09:32 AM
Welcome Cedar,

Your addition to the forum should be very interesting.

Ghislain

Illen A. Cluf
05-29-2016, 03:55 PM
Welcome! I'm looking forward to your contributions. I was also very interested in Julian of Norwich and Margery Kempe a decade or two ago. In addition, I found Jeanne Mance and Marguerite Bourgeoys (1620-1700) of the Sulpician Ville-Marie (Montreal) to be amazing women, who inspired the feminine aspect of esoteric religion. Because of their incredible humbleness, they're not well known, as they would have wished, but should have been, since they could inspire many.

z0 K
05-29-2016, 05:33 PM
Welcome,

If you are interested in women in alchemy check out Elizabeth Grey, (Choice Manuall or Rare and Select Secrets in Physick and Chyrurgery: Collected and practiced by the Right Honourable, the Countess of Kent) aka Lady Strange, and the system of nuneries where the female alchemists hid themselves.

Cedar
06-26-2016, 08:42 PM
I have not read anything of Jeanne Mance or Marguerite Bourgeoys--thank you for mentioning them to me!

Cedar
06-26-2016, 08:45 PM
Thank you for the information about Elizabeth Grey. I will definitely look into her work!

Illen A. Cluf
06-26-2016, 11:04 PM
I have not read anything of Jeanne Mance or Marguerite Bourgeoys--thank you for mentioning them to me!

It's the earliest Canadian history. They were absolutely remarkable women who did much to inspire a progressive type of religion (actually Catholic) that actually INCLUDED women as important pillars. At that time, Canada was seen as a place to experiment with more open types of religion as opposed to the repression seen in Europe. Of course, eventually, the more male-oriented Catholic religion won over and still exists today - or at least recently - along with all of its corruption and pedophile activity. There are still many symbolic representations of the more "progressive" religion evident all over the oldest churches in Montreal. If interested I can recommend a book that focuses on the incredible history of this Catholic "Sulpician" religion in Montreal. Montreal was the home of the Sulpicians, while Quebec City was the home of the adversary - the male-oriented Jesuits. There was a lot of rivalry between these early Canadian cities.