PDA

View Full Version : Circulatum Minus

Florius Frammel
09-04-2016, 12:00 PM
Hi there,
I'd soon like to work on making the Circulatum minus. Anyone here who already has some experience/ made it themselves?
What would be interesting is if anyone can comment on either using copaiva or canada balsam or if there's an alternative for both of them.

thoth
09-05-2016, 09:06 PM
I have this on my to do list as well.
You might find Manfred Junius's book "The practical handbook of plant alchemy" useful. He gives his interpretation on the process. It seems that natural canadian balsam is preferable to synthetic balsam, as the organic one has many other ingredients.
I can tell you the lab where I got my canadian balsam if you need it.

Do you have pelican type glassware for a circulation, or are you using a flask with a long neck ?

Florius Frammel
09-06-2016, 07:11 AM
I know the book by Junius and l found another version in the book of Daniel Hornfisher. But the operations and ingredients are pretty much the same.
I already did some pre-experiments with a so called "instant Circulatum". I just mixed some essential oil with potash, ethanol (96%) and vinegar. After that I put in some fresh plant parts. What I then observed was something that reminded me of an essential oil /w strong ethanol mixture after putting in some water. It looked milky and after a while there were oil drops on the surface.
I don't think I am going to use any special glassware for circulation. The whole process sounds to me pretty easy, but I guess there might be some hidden traps.

Axismundi000
09-06-2016, 12:51 PM
The thick resin is to prevent saponification. Sometimes info is missing but I feel this hidden traps idea is merely failure enabling. Not trying to be rude here, I have yet to be ncounter a hidden trap.

Florius Frammel
09-06-2016, 05:14 PM
The thick resin is to prevent saponification. Sometimes info is missing but I feel this hidden traps idea is merely failure enabling. Not trying to be rude here, I have yet to be ncounter a hidden trap.

Saponification really?
That's interesting. When does fat come in play?
But it's good to hear there are no hidden traps with the CM by Junius.

Andro
09-06-2016, 05:26 PM
John Reid III (https://www.spagyria.com/minor_opus/reid2-7.php) is a good complementary read, especially about 'opening' the salts to receive the other ingredients.

Florius Frammel
09-06-2016, 05:54 PM
@Andro: Thanks for the link. I read John Reid III already but can't remember this part. Maybe it was an earlier version I read when he didn't come that far yet.

What's interesting the most is that he claims to use a stone as the CM. If I remember correctly that is what Frater Albertus did/tried to do. Junius interprets Uribergus in an other way (CM as a liquid) I heard the plant stones can't seperate, yet here John Reid says they do. Can anyone confirm this?

Further it's not clear to me why one should use sea salt (NaCl) to do it. After calcination it's mostly potash what you get.

Chasm
09-06-2016, 05:55 PM
Circulatum minus Urbigeranum,
Or The
PHILOSOPHICAL ELIXIR
Of
VEGETABLES,
With
THE THREE CERTAIN WAYS OF PREPARING IT.

I

Our Circulatum minus is only a specificated Elixir, belonging to the Vegetable Kingdom, by which without any Fire, or farther Preparation of the Vegetables, we can in a Moment extract their true Essence, containing their Virtue, Quality, and Property: which is a great Chymical Curiosity, performing Wonders in the Practice of Physick, and in demonstrating some Works of Nature.

II

We call it Circulatum, because, tho never so often used in any Extraction, or Chymical Experiment what-ever, it loses nothing of its Quality, or Property: which is a Prerogative, pertaining to the Universal Elixir, called also the Circulatum majus, because it commands in all the three Kingdoms of Nature; whilst this, being restrained to one only Kingdom, is for that reason stil.'d Minus.

III

Out of Dianas undetermined Tears, when Apollo has appeared, after the Separation of the three Elements, Determination, Digestion, and glorious Resurrection, we can, without the Addition of any other created thing, prepare this our determined Elixir: Which is the first, noblest, and secretest way of the Philosophers.

IV

The Determination of our Dianas Tears consists only in their perfect and indissoluble Union with the fixt Vegetable Earth, philosophically prepared, purified, and spiritualized: for the love of which they are forced to leave their first universal undetermined Property, and be clothed with a determined particular one, which is required to this our Circulatum minus.

V

Our second way of preparing this our Vegetable Elixir is by a right Manipulation of a Plant of the noblest Degree, standing by itself, or supported by others: after the Preparation of which, and its Putrefaction, Reduction into an Oil, Separation of the three Principles, with their Purification, Union, and Spiritualization, the whole is to be turned into a spiritual ever-living Fountain, renewing every Plant, that shall be plunged in it.

VI

The third and common way is only a Conjunction of a fixt Vegetable Salt with its own volatil sulphureous Spirit, both to be found ready prepared by any vulgar Chymist, and since in their Preparation the purest Sulphur, containing the Soul, has suffered some Detriment by their not being philosophically manipulated, they cannot be inseparably joined without a sulphureous Medium, by which the Soul being strengthened, the Body and Spirit are also through it made capable of a perfect Union.

VII

The proper Medium, requisite for the indissoluble Union of these two Subjects, is only a sulphureous and bituminous Matter, issuing out of a Plant, living or dead, which is to be found in several parts of the World, and is known to all manner of Men, (the Copavian we find to be the best, and after that the Italian,) by which, after it has been separated from its feculent parts through our Universal Menstruum, all the Pores and Atoms of the fixt Vegetable Salt, which is extremely fortified by it, being dilated, it is made capable of receiving its own Spirit, and uniting itself with it.

VIII

To fortify the Sulphur, and open the Pores of the Salt, no other Method is to be used, but to imbibe the same with the bituminous Matter in a moderate digestive Heat, as if one would hatch Chickens, and as the Salt grows dry, the Imbibitions are to be repeated, until you find it so fully saturated that it refuses to imbibe any more of the Matter.

IX

In the Course of Imbibitions the whole Mass is at least nine or ten times a day to be stirr'd with a Spatula, or some other Instrument of dry Wood, by which reiterated Motion, the bituminous Matter receives a better ingress into the Body, and perfects its Operation the sooner.

X

Great care is to be taken, that in the performance of the lmbibitions, no kind of Soil or Dust fall into your Matter, for the prevention of which your Vessel may be kept covered with a Paper, prickt full of holes, or any other suitable Covering, and that nothing come near it, which has its own internal Sulphur: for the Pores of the Salt being very much dilated and opened, it may easily determine it self to any other Subject, and so spoil your Undertaking.

XI

If in three, or four Weeks time at farthest, your fixt Vegetable Salt does not manifest its full Saturation, it will certainly be in vain for you to go any farther with it: for you may assure yourself, that you either err in the Notion of the Salt or of the real sulphureous Medium, or in the Management of the Imbibitions.

XII

When your Imbibitions are fully performed, your Salt will then be in a convenient readiness to receive its own Spirit, by which it is made volatil, spiritual, transparent, and wonderfully penetrating, entring of a sudden into the Pores and Particles of every Vegetable, and separating in a moment their true Essence or Elements.

XIII

Altho the Salt is fully prepared for the Reception of its own Spirit, yet unless you well observe the right Proportion of them (which is, that the volatil always predominate over the fixt) you will never be able to make any perfect Union between these two Subjects, contrary in Quality, though not in Nature.

XIV

Before you begin your Distillations and Cohobations, after the Addition of the Vegetable Spirit to its own Salt, a Putrefaction of eight or ten days is to precede, during which time, the sulphureous Spirit, strengthened by the bituminous Matter, and finding its Salt fit for Conjunction with it, has the power to enter into its Pores, to facilitate its Volatilization, and Union.

XV

If after six or seven Distillations and Cohobations of the distilled upon the Remainder, you do not find your Spirit to be extremely sharp, and the Remainder in the bottom altogether insipid, it will be an evident Sign, that you fail in the true knowledge of the Vegetable Spirit, which, being exceeding volatil, has in its Nature power to volatilize its own Body, and unite itself inseparably with it, finding it capable of its Reception.

XVI

It is to be observed, that in the Progress of your Distillations the sulphureous Medium do not in the least ascend: for as it is a real Medium, concurring to unite the Body with the Spirit, before the Spiritualization of the Body, and without the Concurrence of which no perfect Union of these two Subjects is to be expected; so on the contrary in the Progress of the Work its Concurrence would be highly disadvantageous to them both, and totally subvert your Operation.

XVII

The ascending of the sulphureous Medium, when the Spirit begins to carry over its own, Body, to unite itself inseparably with it, evidently and certainly signifies, that you do not regulate your Fire, as you should, and that, instead of giving a gentle vaporous Heat to facilitate the Union, you give a violent one to destroy it.

XVIII

When your Salt is brought to its perfect Spiritualization, and real Union with its own volatile Spirit, then you will have in your power your Circulatum minus, or Vegetable Elixir, and Menstruum, with which you will be able to perform wonders in the Vegetable Kingdom, separating in a moment not only their Principles or Elements, but also at one and the same Operation the Pure from the Impure.

XIX

If into this your Vegetable Elixir you put any green Vegetable, shred in pieces, it will in less than half a quarter of an hour without any external Heat putrify, and precipitate itself into the bottom quite dead, (which is nothing but the cursed Excremental Earth) and on the Top will swim a yellow Oil, containing the Salt and Sulphur, and the Elixir will be of the Color of the Plant, comprehending its Vegetable Spirit: which if it does not, 'tis a sign, that your Operations have not been Philosophical.

XX

One only drop of this yellowish Oil, given in Distempers according to the Virtue and Quality, attributed to the Plant, every Morning and Evening in a Glass of Wine, or any other convenient Vehicle, will infallibly and insensibly cure those Distempers, and corroborate the vital Spirits, if constantly taken to purify the Blood in sickly and infectious Times.

XXI

If you put Coral into this Menstruum, you will see an admirable Experiment: for although its Pores are compacter, than in any other Vegetable; yet it will on a sudden transmit its internal Spirit into the Menstruum, and sending its Soul and Body, like a blood-red Oil to the Top, will at last fall to the Bottom like a grayish Excrement.

XXII

If Myrrh, Aloes, and Saffron, of each an equal Quantity, are put into this Menstruum, the truest Elixir Proprietatis (as Paracelsus terms it) which is a most excellent Cordial, and almost of as great Efficacy and Virtue, as the Universal Elixir itself, in curing all curable Distempers, will presently swim on the Top, and its Caput Mortuum will separate itself into the Bottom.

XXIII

This Vegetable Menstruum dissolves not only all sorts of Gums, or any other kind of Substance in the Vegetable Kingdom, but also all sorts of Oils and Balsams, coming out of Trees, separating their true Essence, by which you may perform wonderful things both upon living Bodies, and dead ones, the last of which it preserves forever without opening or any farther Preparation of them.

XXIV

Though this Menstruum is only specificated upon Vegetables, it will nevertheless in a moment draw the Tincture out of Metals and Minerals; but it will not separate all their Principles, not being the appropriated Menstruum for such Operations; and though such Sulphurs are highly balsamic for the Lungs and Spleen, yet since our Elixir Proprietatis far exceeds those praeter natural Preparations, we only give this as a curious Chymical Experiment.

XXV

Since this Vegetable Menstruum is eternal, you must observe, that you lose nothing of its Quantity or Quality in separating of it from the Oil, and Spirit of the Vegetable, which is done by a gentle Destillation in Balneo aporoso, the Vessel being very well luted and dried before. The Menstruum, coming over with the Flegm of the Vegetable, from which it is by a Distillation in Balneo to be separated for farther uses, leaves the Oil at the Bottom, united with its own Spirit, which will easily go over in any common Heat, not leaving anything behind it: which is a Mark of its Spiritualization, Purification, and Regeneration, that it has received from the Menstruum.

XXVI

Out of this Oil or Essence of your Vegetable so prepared, or by any other Philosophical way, (as we have mentioned in our second Manner of making this our Elixir) if you know how to putrify it natually without any Fire, and to separate all our Principles out of it, purifying and uniting them inseparably together, being all made spiritual and transparent, you will then have out of this second Regeneration the greatest Arcanum in the World, as upon Vegetables, so also upon Minerals and Metals, except Gold and Silver.

XXVII

If this regenerated Essence be determined with our First Matter, it will then be in a Capacity radically to dissolve all sorts of Metals or Minerals, and principally Gold, which is imperceptibly dissolved in it, like Ice in common Water, and can never be separated common Gold again, neither by Distillation, nor Digestion: out of which, after a Philosophical Digestion, Separation of the three Principles, with their Purification, Union, Digestion, and third Regeneration, you may prepare the great Medicine of Medicines, of equal Virtue and Quality with the Grand Elixir upon human Bodies, and with our Mercury simplex, upon Metals or Minerals.

XXVIII

The determinating this regenerated Menstruum with our first Matter is to be performed by its Amalgamation with it, in which the Vegetable Menstruum, drawing out of it all its Qualities and Properties, and uniting them with its own, is made capable of the same Virtue and Property, as our Mercury Simplex, in dissolving and volatilizing every created thing, that shall come near it.

XXIX

Some are of Opinion, that both the Elixirs may be produc'd out of several determined things as Human Excrements, May-dew, (which they call also their Menstruum from above, or Water from the Clouds) etc. as also that the Grand Elixir may be prepared out of this, or any other Vegetable regenerated Menstruum; but since we know, that such Menstruums, which they call their Philosophical Mercury, although they may dissolve and volatilize Metals, yet cannot meliorate any of them, this Dissolution and Volatilization being neither natural nor Philosophical, we therefore with good Reason judge all those Opinions to be only false Suppositions and ill-grounded and imaginary Notions.

XXX

We with our Divine Master Hermes absolutely affirm, that, Almighty God having, after he had created all things, commanded every one of them to procreate out of its own kind, our Elixirs are not to be produced by any of those sophistical ways, as we have fully made appear in these and our precedent Aphorisms, in which we have given ample Instructions for the preparing the Universal Elixir out of our undetermined Matter, and the specificated one out of the Root of Vegetables.

XXXI

Out of the true Affection and Charity, we have for all Lovers of Arts, we advise every one, who shall desire to prepare either of these our Elixirs, only to follow our Infallible Rules, being the Compendium of the whole Practice and Theory according to all true Philosophers, and not to mind any other: for some having delivered things by Hearsay, others from Reading, and very few from their own Practice, they may easily be imposed upon and deluded by any Pseudo-chymist or pretended Adept.

Chasm
09-06-2016, 06:35 PM
Aphorisms are the keys by which a certain acroamatic cypher may be understood. Without a knowledge of these, we assume and we err.

1. Our Circulatum minus is only a specificated Elixir, belonging to the Vegetable Kingdom, by which without any Fire, or farther Preparation of the Vegetables, we can in a Moment extract their true Essence, containing their Virtue, Quality, and Property: which is a great Chymical Curiosity, performing Wonders in the Practice of Physick, and in demonstrating some Works of Nature.
All capitalized letters signify alchemical meaning.
When the Lord said , "be fruitful and multiply", he included the minerals.
Most of you here appear to think that because he uses the word Vegetable, that he is speaking of plants.

2. We call it Circulatum, because, tho never so often used in any Extraction, or Chymical Experiment what-ever, it loses nothing of its Quality, or Property: which is a Prerogative, pertaining to the Universal Elixir, called also the Circulatum majus, because it commands in all the three Kingdoms of Nature; whilst this, being restrained to one only Kingdom, is for that reason stil.'d Minus.

What you call on this forum "decknamen" at its best. Here he speaks of the alkahest.
-It is never used in chymical extractions or experiments what-ever
Obviously, this would be chymistry.
-it loses nothing of its Quality, or Property: which is a Prerogative
This is how the alkahest is defined.
-... whilst this, being restrained to one only Kingdom, is for that reason stil.'d Minus.
The one only kingdom is the same as the Circulatum Majus, which is universal
The Circulatum Minus is the White Stone....ok, imho! ( for grounding):cool:
The Circulatum Majus is the Red Stone.

-3.Out of Dianas undetermined Tears, when Apollo has appeared, after the Separation of the three Elements, Determination, Digestion, and glorious Resurrection, we can, without the Addition of any other created thing, prepare this our determined Elixir: Which is the first, noblest, and secretest way of the Philosophers.

Diana's undetermined tears is our pellucid water that dissolves, our alkahest...Mercury!

I can continue to support myself further. For most of you, it will come as speculation, but I'm prepared for that.

Florius Frammel
09-06-2016, 07:13 PM
Have you made it and does it work as described?

z0 K
09-06-2016, 07:26 PM
@Andro: Thanks for the link. I read John Reid III already but can't remember this part. Maybe it was an earlier version I read when he didn't come that far yet.

What's interesting the most is that he claims to use a stone as the CM. If I remember correctly that is what Frater Albertus did/tried to do. Junius interprets Uribergus in an other way (CM as a liquid) I heard the plant stones can't seperate, yet here John Reid says they do. Can anyone confirm this?

Further it's not clear to me why one should use sea salt (NaCl) to do it. After calcination it's mostly potash what you get.

A plant quintessence can elevate or fruther purify a simple tincture that is added to it once the Quintessence is transformed into the liquid state. This I know from my own lab experiments.

I met with Junius in his Australian lab in 1995 and he told me about his Circulatum that he had made following Urbigerus but he would not let me see it. He said an American had come to visit him and attempted to pocket it when he was not looking. That struck me as an “excuse” at the time. I was not convinced that he had really succeeded. At least one of his followers has claimed to have made Junius’ Circulatum but the photos of it in action he has produced look like the same material I made following Daniel Hornfishers “easy” process. That does not produce anything like what Urbigerus described. What you get is a chemical (alcohol) extraction the plant matter.

Commercial substitutes do not work and you have to already know how to make a philosophical menstrum before Urbigerus can be fathomed. Most think the third way for the Circulatum Minus tells you all that is needed to make the Circulatum. However you must already know “our Universal Menstrum.”

The Ubigerus process is all about making philosophical soap and its proper distillation.

Chasm
09-06-2016, 08:02 PM
Have you made it and does it work as described?

No Florius. I haven't made it. It's a blind. The aphorisms let you know this. Once you are acquainted with the aphorisms, then you will understand Urbigerus.

Florius Frammel
09-07-2016, 10:26 AM
@z0 K:
Here are some pictures supposed to show Junius' Circulatum in action:
http://www.horusmedia.de/1999-loesung/loesung.php
Does it look like your easy Hornfisher CM?

There are other infos on this page which are interesting and confusing. For example it is said that the quantity of the oil the CM extracts from a plant is more than it normally should have and that no scientist can explain where it comes from.

Another thing is that there the spirit is described as the most volatile parts and the alcaloids of the plants. Maybe that's a hint, as you can get them (at least some) AFTER Apollo (the etheric oils) has appeared. But then again they're not the most volatile parts. Seems like Junius did not tell us everything in his book.
I know Junius' teacher Augusto Pancaldi told him to try the CM. As far as I know his teacher was pleased by the result of his student. But who knows..

Anyways I'm interested in your experience with your Hornfisher CM.
Urbigerus claims a lot of things the CM can do. Junuis himself says he thinks he exaggerates in some points.
For example his CM has not the influence on chorals as described by Urbigerus.

What is it your CM can or can't do and why are you disappointed?

Can you recommend something where to begin with my research for "Our universal menstrum" or the step that is required before working on the CM?

And here is link to text (german unfortunately) where someone who researched about Urbigerus in the library of Gotha:
http://www.fk-alchemie.de/index.php/geschichte

In short: He found a text where it is written that Urbigerus himself produced the CM after his third part (similar to what Hornfisher did). The only part not quite clear to me is that he first "distilled the etheric oils through the menstruum universale". Interesting, that's exactly what you said..

Would be nice to hear more from you about this topic.

Andro
09-07-2016, 12:31 PM
According to the linked text, there are lot of political contacts and conspiracies involved, including with the Sachsen-Gotha family (which is allegedly, according to other theories) the current British Royal family who changed their name to 'Windsor'), and that 'Urbigerus' (allegedly a wordplay on 'Sorberger', which is in turn a wordplay on his 'real' Italian name, 'Borghese' ) was not the 'inventor' of the Circulatum, which was in fact given to him by an unknown English friend. The Circulatum is also compared with a certain 'Instant-Product' attributed to Karl Hollerbach.

Do you know anything about this 'Karl Hollerbach' and his alleged 'Instant-Product'? (I registered at the FK-Alchemie forum a few years ago, but it appeared to be already quite dead/inactive at the time, so I didn't check back...)

To Urbigerus' credit, he never mentions Alcohol/SV in any of his '3 ways' of preparing the Circulatum Minus. This seems to be a (most likely mistaken) deduction/assumption of most alchemists who attempted to replicate the Circulatum Minus, including Junius.

The 'Universal Menstruum' seems (to me) to be the same as Philosophical Mercury/Alkahest/Mercury Duplex (Diana & Apollo). In the case of the Circulatum Minus, at least in the First Way of preparation, this 'Universal Menstruum', instead of taking it to 'the Circulatum Majus' level by being reacted with/imbibed upon the Universal/Undetermined Philosophical Earth (containing the 2 Central Fires in dormant state), is reacted with common potash, to 'determine' it to the Plant Kingdom.

It could also well be, in light of the revelation of the 'Universal Menstruum' being involved in the third way as well, that the 'Spirit' is the same in all three ways of preparing the CM.

Florius Frammel
09-07-2016, 12:40 PM
@Andro:
Yes I do. Here a link to the text with the "instant CM".
That is exactly what I did and mentioned in a previous post in this thread. It is an interesting read. Sorry for not having the time to translate.

http://www.fk-alchemie.de/index.php/laborpraxis/23-karl-hollerbach-gedanken-zum-circulatum-minus-aus-hermes-nr-15

What is it that you all think it doesn't work (with ethanol)? I've seen that this instant product already does something. There might be a profane scientific explanation but it definitely works as described there.

Andro
09-07-2016, 01:26 PM
What would be interesting is if anyone can comment on either using copaiva or canada balsam or if there's an alternative for both of them.

Hi FF,

Karl Hollerbach clearly mentions what he uses instead of those balsams: Concentrated Vinegar (i.e. organically derived Acetic Acid). Wine vinegar can be concentrated by freezing, as you surely know :)

He also adds Ammonium Carbonate to the mix, something I myself have never experimented with in this context.

Florius Frammel
09-07-2016, 01:35 PM
Try it out. The reason why I am not satisfied with the instant CM is that according to the text the oil swimming on top seems to be the CM. Then it could not be properly separated and reused again. I hope that the third way of U. gives a different product with said properties. It won't help, I have to try it by myself I guess.

Another idea: Ammonium carbonate in former times was produced with a dry distillation of the horn of deer. There is maybe a link to our Diana and her tears.

Andro
09-07-2016, 01:43 PM
Try it out.

My attention is otherwise engaged. But the Concentrated Vinegar does a good job at 'preparing' the salt(s), however it is only a precursor to 'lifting them up'.

I have to try it by myself I guess.

Isn't this always the case... :)

z0 K
09-07-2016, 04:31 PM
@z0 K:
Here are some pictures supposed to show Junius' Circulatum in action:
http://www.horusmedia.de/1999-loesung/loesung.php
Does it look like your easy Hornfisher CM?

The photos at the link look similar to what I got with the Hornfisher easy circulatum.

I don’t know anything about the claim that more oil is received from the plant than it contained. I am skeptical of that. I don’t think any scientists have had the opportunity to examine a sample of Circulatum Minus.

Another thing is that there the spirit is described as the most volatile parts and the alcaloids of the plants. Maybe that's a hint, as you can get them (at least some) AFTER Apollo (the etheric oils) has appeared. But then again they're not the most volatile parts. Seems like Junius did not tell us everything in his book.

Apollo appears after the etheric oils have gone over:
"Out of Dianas undetermined Tears, when Apollo has appeared, after the Separation of the three Elements, Determination, Digestion, and glorious Resurrection, we can, without the Addition of any other created thing, prepare this our determined Elixir: Which is the first, noblest, and secretest way of the Philosophers."

Apollo appears after the separation of the three elements. Apollo is the Alchemical Sun which is a volatile salt. This is the first and noblest way.

Junius never said anything to me about using a volatile salt, but then he did not say anything about how he made his CM and I didn’t ask. He took me on a tour of his commercial production facility in Adelaide, but I saw no working alchemy lab with experiments running. That does not mean that he did not have one there. I am an American and he thought another American had tried to steal his CM. I thought that was silly that he was worried about someone stealing his CM because he should have been able to make more. Also his commercial lab was set up for making basic spagyric tinctures. The purpose of the CM is to skip the process of making tinctures or the long arduous and repetitive tasks of separating the three Elements Philosophically.

I know Junius' teacher Augusto Pancaldi told him to try the CM. As far as I know his teacher was pleased by the result of his student. But who knows..

I have the greatest respect for Junius as an alchemist. I read his book in 1986 and that inspired me to return to the labwork with herbs. He certainly believed he had made the Circulatum Minus.

What is it your CM can or can't do and why are you disappointed?

I made that experiment about 14 years ago. My skills have improved since then:-) I was disappointed because it was just an ordinary alcohol extraction of plant fats and oils.

Can you recommend something where to begin with my research for "Our universal menstrum" or the step that is required before working on the CM?

Read Urbigerus entire work. Most people think it is two separate works but it is really one work telling one story. Study the first four aphorisms of the Rules for the Grand Elixir.

Schmuldvich
11-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Aphorisms are the keys by which a certain acroamatic cypher may be understood. Without a knowledge of these, we assume and we err.

Most of you here appear to think that because he uses the word Vegetable, that he is speaking of plants.

Yes!!

Here is an excellent excerpt backing up what Chasm was trying to say in his post (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4847-Circulatum-Minus&p=43783#post43783)...

CHAPTER II.
Of the Vegetable Tincture, or the Process called the Lesser Circulation.

Very few of the true philosophers have touched upon this subject, for it seemed trifling in respect to the great work, as the process in metals is generally termed; but there is a modern publication in English, a small thin duodecimo, without any author's name, having for its title: Aphorismi, seu Circulus majus et Circulus minus, wherein the whole process is plainly laid down.

This book is written by an undoubted master in the art; and no treatise, ancient or modern, is so explicit in the directions for conducting the great work. The directions are very short, but much to the purpose, provided the reader has an idea what part of the work is alluded to. The author, agreeable to his title, delivers his doctrine by way of aphorisms. But to return from this digression.

We proposed in this chapter to lay open the vegetable process, as a clue to the more important work in the mineral kingdom.

He observes, with a precision which can only result from numerous trials, that different herbs impart their tinctures in such proportions of alcohol as he has found out. It is allowed that the volatile spirit and balsamic sulphur are thus extracted; but there are the essential, or fixed, salt and sulphur of the herb yet left in the process. These require another management to extract, which he is either ignorant of, or is so disingenuous as to conceal from the public; but that so noble a secret may lie open to all for a general advantage, here follows a plain account of the vegetable work.

Take any herb which is potent in medicine, and either extract the tincture with spirit of wine, or distil in the common way; reserve the distilled water, or tincture, when separated from the feces, for use. Then take the feces, or Caput Mortuum, and calcine it to a calx. Grind this to powder.

That done, take the water, or tincture, and mix them together; distil again, and calcine, forcing the moisture over by a retort, in a wary process, calcining and cohobating the spirit on the salt till it attains a perfect whiteness and oily nature, like the finest alkali, commonly called Flemish.

As your salt requires it in the process, have in readiness more of the extracted tincture, or distilled spirit, that you may not work it, viz., the salt, too dry; and yet proceed cautiously, not adding too much of the moisture, so that the dealbating, or whitening, may keep visibly heightening at every repetition of the process. Frequent experiments may enable you to push it on to a redness, but a fine yellow is the best of all; for the process tends, in its perfection at this period, to a state of dryness, and must be managed with a strong fire.

Salazius
11-22-2016, 12:32 PM
I made a Vegetable Radical Menstrum. And it works well. You can volatilise some fix sulfurs of plants with it.

It is a bit dangerous. Here is a photography of my hand that touched the collar of the stopped flask :

https://i37.servimg.com/u/f37/11/17/05/29/_2016010.jpg

And also a PH test indicating that Ph 4, 6, 7, 12 are present, all in the same solution.

https://i37.servimg.com/u/f37/11/17/05/29/_2016011.jpg

Kiorionis
11-22-2016, 02:34 PM
And also a PH test indicating that Ph 4, 6, 7, 12 are present, all in the same solution.

Quite curious, thanks for sharing this!