PDA

View Full Version : Perception is King

Awani
09-05-2016, 02:15 AM
Have you ever forgot where you are, or got confused as to where you are? This happens to me on occasion, but this only lasts for a few seconds. For example walking down the street, thinking about some memory and suddenly you are not sure which street, city or country you are in. Perhaps something on that street confuse you further and you imagine/think you are in some other place.

Anyway today I had one of these experiences in the supermarket, and what makes this one so much different is that it lasted for several minutes. I have never had this happen to me for such a length of time.

I was in supermarket A, but for some reason walking in I thought I was in supermarket B. Right away I noticed things didn't look like it was supposed to, but I figured that they must have redone the place. That supermarkets change their interior layout is common in my neck of the woods.

So I began to walk around doing my usual shopping. As is normal when a place you go to a lot changes the layout, you have to figure out what the changes are... where did they decide to place the milk, the vegetables etc. I began thinking that I preferred the old layout.

What really confused me is that there was a huge wall that closed off the other large area of the supermarket. My initial idea was that perhaps they sold half the shop to some other business and blocked it... and this is why they changed the layout.

I walked to the exit and then it hit me. I was in a completely different supermarket. As soon as my mind understood this everything made perfect sense, and I could "see" the "real" layout and set-up.

It was so real. I had no doubt in my mind that I was in the correct supermarket. Even if the layout was different my mind still placed that layout within the structure of the supermarket I thought I was in.

For me this is a perfect example of the delusion of reality and the power of the mind. Even when I thought I was in the wrong supermarket it was still correct, and when I understood where I actually was everything was also correct.

I'm just happy I didn't speak to anyone. It might seem I am loosing my mind, but from my perspective things are becoming increasingly more sane.

:cool:

Ghislain
09-05-2016, 06:15 AM
I have had a similar experience while driving...my mind had wondered and when I came back to thinking where I was going
I couldn't recognise where I was or think where I was going. I think in our normal day to day endeavours we move from one
known experience to the next, if we break the train of thought it lays down some confusion.

A lot of the mundane stuff we do every day I think we do on a sort of autopilot, which allows us to think of other things, but
I think the autopilot needs updating every now and then, so if your mind goes too deep into the "other things" you lose a
little control.

A weird feeling.

Ghislain