PDA

View Full Version : Extracting the red

Vlad
01-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Take source material
Add some aqua regia
Let stand a day
Add some diethyl ether, shake/mix, and extract by removing the diethyl ether and letting it evaporate
Add distilled water
Precipitate with sodium or potassium bicarbonate
Could result in a red gold precipitate

Re-acidify if desired with phosphoric acid
Re-precipitate
Should result in a white gold precipitate

Aqua regia dissolves the metals
Diethyl ether dissolves the goldchloride
Mercury lead and other heavy metals don't dissolve in the diethyl ether and stay behind in the aqua regia

Aleilius
01-30-2009, 10:01 PM
What is this red powder, and why is it different than the white precipitate?

----

I think it has to do with the cluster size of Au atoms. Red gold can also be made by repeatedly annealing calx of gold in fused quartz glass. A lot of things are happening during this process, but most importantly atoms in Au clusters are being broken apart and spread out into a matrix. This is the very foundation of annealing! It's also acquiring the essence of fire, and this supercharges our gold into a rapid high spin energetic state.

I believe the same thing will happen with gold calx and quicksilver. The quicksilver acts as an annealing matrix & radical solvent, and when heated will cause Au clusters to be broken into smaller pieces. During this process, it's also quite possible to transmute the Hg matrix into good gold. For those of you who believe in the m-state theories: m-state mercury will drop to gold when heated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_cluster

Vlad
01-31-2009, 05:34 PM
That sounds like an explanation from Nick DC

It is not because you have a red gold precipitate that you have a red gold colloid; ie metallic gold of small clusters.
The red lion has been claimed to be the gold 195 isotope and red colored.

It is my belief based upon research that phosphoric acid probably aids in breaking down gold to the monoatom or even further in unknown to science alchemical ways.

Black -> White -> Red

Aleilius
01-31-2009, 11:58 PM
That sounds like an explanation from Nick DC
I take that as an offense my friend! You may call me stupid, but just don't call me ***. I think this was out of line.

This is something I have not heard before.

However, I will back up my claim with multiple sources.

Source: http://www.physorg.com/news7928.html

Even the ancient Romans were familiar with processes for coloring glass by adding gold. Initially colorless, the glass takes on a ruby-red color when heated in a controlled fashion. The source of this color is finely divided gold clusters. The light absorption depends on the concerted oscillation of the conducting electrons in all of the gold atoms in the cluster, called plasmon oscillation.

Source: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/04/040428062059.htm

In fact, if gold is created in small enough chunks, it turns red, blue, yellow and other colors, says Chris Kiely, who directs the new Nanocharacterization Laboratory in Lehigh's Center for Advanced Materials and Nanotechnology.

"If, however, you shrink gold down to a nanoparticle, its properties change dramatically. Its color changes, it becomes a very good catalyst, and is no longer a metal - instead it turns into a semiconductor."

Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colloidal_gold

Colloidal gold, also known as "nanogold", is a suspension (or colloid) of sub-micrometre-sized particles of gold in a fluid — usually water. The liquid is usually either an intense red colour (for particles less than 100 nm), or a dirty yellowish colour (for larger particles)[1][2]. The nanoparticles themselves can come in a variety of shapes. Spheres, rods, cubes, and caps are some of the more frequently observed ones.

Generally, gold nanoparticles are produced in a liquid ("liquid chemical methods") by reduction of chloroauric acid (H[AuCl4]), although more advanced and precise methods do exist. After dissolving H[AuCl4], the solution is rapidly stirred while a reducing agent is added. This causes Au3+ ions to be reduced to neutral gold atoms. As more and more of these gold atoms form, the solution becomes supersaturated, and gold gradually starts to precipitate in the form of sub-nanometer particles. The rest of the gold atoms that form stick to the existing particles, and, if the solution is stirred vigorously enough, the particles will be fairly uniform in size.

Paracelsus' work is known to have inspired Michael Faraday to prepare the first pure sample of colloidal gold, which he called 'activated gold', in 1857. He used phosphorus to reduce a solution of gold chloride. Faraday was the first to recognise that the colour was due to the minute size of the gold particles.

Take source material
Add some aqua regia
Let stand a day
Add some diethyl ether, shake/mix, and extract by removing the diethyl ether and letting it evaporate
Add distilled water
Precipitate with sodium or potassium bicarbonate
Could result in a red gold precipitate

It is not because you have a red gold precipitate that you have a red gold colloid; ie metallic gold of small clusters.

So are you trying to say that a reduction of chloroauric acid will yield a gold 195 isotope? Reduction does not work like that, and even if it did, wouldn't the gold 195 isotope still precipitate in the same manner as regular gold? Thus it would also be colored red because of cluster size? I'm having difficulty following.

All of this could have been avoided if you had explained yourself better, and perhaps been a little more patient. You have been researching these topics for years so I will respect what you have to say.

Vlad
02-01-2009, 09:25 AM
So are you trying to say that a reduction of chloroauric acid will yield a gold 195 isotope?

No. The gold 195 isotope is made another way. It's not a colloid. It's more akin to an m-state form.

FYI, you can make very fine deep red colloidal gold by taking a little chloroauric acid HAuCl4, dilluted in distilled water, neutralized with sodium bicarbonate to neutral pH, and with then a pinch of tannic acid added. Immediatelly the colloid will form and actually due to the tannic acid smell like wine. No phosphorus needed and iirc this colloid is finer in size than the one by phosphorus reduction.

Vlad
02-01-2009, 09:28 AM
In the process I posted, the source material is important.
I tried it and it produces a red gold precipitate. It seems the process extracts a red gold form which might be the uncharged red sulfur or stone as gold 195, because it has definite m-state feelings (no toxic haze or high feelings) and feels different than the white m-state or ordinary gold colloid.

abdo
05-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Diethyl ether dissolves the goldchloride
Mercury lead and other heavy metals don't dissolve in the diethyl ether and stay behind in the aqua regia
This statement is not correct.:)