PDA

View Full Version : Will it flush?

zoas23
10-02-2016, 01:12 AM
From the annals of the useless home-made scientific experiments which are completely pointless....
(No, I can't give you back the 14 minutes of your life that you can waste in watching how a toilet can be screwed up with mercury)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvVaaZ21C44

JDP
10-02-2016, 02:33 AM
From the annals of the useless home-made scientific experiments which are completely pointless....
(No, I can't give you back the 14 minutes of your life that you can waste in watching how a toilet can be screwed up with mercury)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvVaaZ21C44

A more interesting demonstration would be to do it with hot mercury, and at the very moment of flushing it cast a grain of either the white or red Philosophers' Stone on it: it would "flush" chunks of silver or gold. The most expensive toilet flush in history!

zoas23
10-02-2016, 03:06 AM
A more interesting demonstration would be to do it with hot mercury, and at the very moment of flushing it cast a grain of either the white or red Philosophers' Stone on it: it would "flush" chunks of silver or gold. The most expensive toilet flush in history!

I'm good with cameras... so if you are willing to do it, I'm fine with filming it. The infamous insult of "Kitchen alchemists" can be taken one step further: "Toilet Alchemists!".

(We can call it "The secret wet path of the toilet"... which completely discloses the literal meaning of the "flick of the wrist"/"tour de main" as a metaphor for flushing the toilet).

I <3 the silly thread!!! hahahah....

Ghislain
10-02-2016, 08:13 AM
When he was trying to flush the mercury blocked toilet with water the amount of mercury displaced should have weighed roughly the same as the water on top of the mercury.

I like the way he joked about going to the hospital. Would you put your hand into mercury the way he did? :eek:

Ghislain

Illen A. Cluf
10-02-2016, 02:22 PM
When he was trying to flush the mercury blocked toilet with water the amount of mercury displaced should have weighed roughly the same as the water on top of the mercury.

I like the way he joked about going to the hospital. Would you put your hand into mercury the way he did? :eek:

Ghislain

I did when I was a kid. I had a little jar of Mercury, and I used to often enjoy running it on the palms of my hands. In those days we were much less careful and I didn't realize that Mercury was dangerous. I'm still alive, so I guess it wasn't as dangerous as we are led to believe.

JDP
10-02-2016, 07:29 PM
I did when I was a kid. I had a little jar of Mercury, and I used to often enjoy running it on the palms of my hands. In those days we were much less careful and I didn't realize that Mercury was dangerous. I'm still alive, so I guess it wasn't as dangerous as we are led to believe.

I've handled mercury with my bare hands many times as well, and nothing ever happened to me. When it is in liquid form it doesn't seem to get readily absorbed by your skin. The danger about mercury is breathing its vapors, so you have to be careful when handling it hot.

JDP
10-02-2016, 07:35 PM
I'm good with cameras... so if you are willing to do it, I'm fine with filming it.

Let me see if I can find a hidden tomb of an old "adept" containing a pair of small ivory boxes with samples of each Stone in my backyard. I'll get back to you.

zoas23
10-02-2016, 10:10 PM
I've handled mercury with my bare hands many times as well, and nothing ever happened to me. When it is in liquid form it doesn't seem to get readily absorbed by your skin. The danger about mercury is breathing its vapors, so you have to be careful when handling it hot.

I did it once too, but at high school... the chemistry professor made the whole class hold some mercury in our hand, though she told us to do it quickly and explained us that it was poisonous and that it was "wrong to do it", but that doing it ONCE wasn't going to harm us (she did it too).

That same day we created a mercury & gold amalgam and then we recovered the gold by distillation (the fumes were connected to a chimney that went outside the building).

(of course, we did such thing with something that was like 1 gram of mercury and 0.1 grams of gold)....

Though now I realize that our teacher was a bit "kamikaze".