PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Canada

Coleridgean
10-23-2016, 05:10 PM
Greetings everyone

I'm writing a book about the alchemy of Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Many people don't realize that he spent a good deal of his life researching alchemy, aside from writing poetry and prose. Most of this alchemy is spiritual alchemy from his predecessors Jakob Boehme (Behmen) and Isaac Newton. Other major influences to Coleridge include Thomas Burnet (the worldmaker), Robert Fludd, and even Swedenborg. Among his extensive library is a copy of Lazarus Zetzner's first three volumes of Theatrum Chemicum.

Coleridge was a friend of the chemist Humphry Davy and believed that one day he would write a book - his Magnum Opus - to possibly be called Logosophia - that would "reduce all knowledges into harmony".

Awani
10-23-2016, 05:27 PM
Welcome.

:cool:

Andro
10-23-2016, 05:35 PM
From Alanis to Justin Bieber (not to mention Terrance and Phillip (https://67.media.tumblr.com/d8fd6bd410dfe2c09efbc5a28235734b/tumblr_nqte4aj7131tjzng1o1_500.jpg)) - the Canadians are taking over :)

Joking aside - I'm curious if you have joined to expand your research for the book. It would be interesting to learn more about these topics.

Welcome to Alchemy Forums!

JDP
10-23-2016, 05:58 PM
Greetings everyone

I'm writing a book about the alchemy of Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Many people don't realize that he spent a good deal of his life researching alchemy, aside from writing poetry and prose. Most of this alchemy is spiritual alchemy from his predecessors Jakob Boehme (Behmen) and Isaac Newton. Other major influences to Coleridge include Thomas Burnet (the worldmaker), Robert Fludd, and even Swedenborg. Among his extensive library is a copy of Lazarus Zetzner's first three volumes of Theatrum Chemicum.

Coleridge was a friend of the chemist Humphry Davy and believed that one day he would write a book - his Magnum Opus - to possibly be called Logosophia - that would "reduce all knowledges into harmony".

How was Isaac Newton's alchemy "spiritual" (no such thing as "spiritual alchemy" really exists to begin with, it is a relatively modern misinterpretation of the subject, but that is besides the point)? His manuscripts show that he spent large amounts of time in front of his furnaces, crucibles, retorts, etc. trying to make the Stone.

Humphry Davy was a chemist and he did have an interest in alchemy (not the purely imaginary "spiritual alchemy" but actual alchemy) which he kept very secret while in his public writings he hypocritically condemned the subject.

Andro
10-23-2016, 06:08 PM
This is a thread for introductions and for welcoming new forum members :)

I have renamed and re-opened an older thread, debating the validity of 'Spiritual Alchemy'.

Is Spiritual Alchemy A Valid Path? (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4824-Is-Spiritual-Alchemy-A-Valid-Path)

We can now take this discussion there...

Thanks!

Coleridgean
10-23-2016, 06:45 PM
Hi Andro - yes that's my intention.

JDP - I should have used the term philosophical alchemy. It may be of little obvious use to laboratory alchemy, however I fully agree with Frances Yates' thesis on the Rosicrucian movement and would go so far as to conjecture that many core literary motifs derive from alchemy in metaphor. Coleridge was looking for more metaphor specifically when he befriended Davy

Kiorionis
10-23-2016, 07:13 PM
Welcome to the forum, Colerigdean.

Good to see your interest in a variety of alchemists, as our sub-forum for The Alchemists (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/forumdisplay.php?61-The-Alchemists) hasn't been getting too much attention lately ;)

Illen A. Cluf
10-23-2016, 11:10 PM
Welcome, Colerigean. I'm also from Canada. what part are you from?

Coleridgean
10-24-2016, 01:40 AM
Hi Illen. I'm in Ottawa. Where are you from?

Illen A. Cluf
10-24-2016, 03:54 AM
Hi Illen. I'm in Ottawa. Where are you from?

Just east of Toronto.