PDA

View Full Version : A 'Hello!' to the Forum

Franklin Fehrman
10-24-2016, 03:46 AM
I will combine this thread with a hello to the forum. Hello! Fine to meet all of you. I am relatively new to this work, say for the last two months. I read about this in Mark Stavish's "Path of Alchemy" and then, being the consummate delver, read Frater Albertus's "The Alchemical Handbook," Junius Manfred's "Spagyrics" and the two volume set of Jean Dubuis's "Spagyrics."

--------------------------------------

Spin-off thread here: Question on Vacuum Distillation procedure (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4923-Question-on-Vacuum-Distillation-procedure)

Since then, I have procured all the laboratory glass to pursue the lesser work, including a vacuum pump and vacuum distillation glassware.

By the time I had accrued the vacuum distillation material, I had only about three days left in the waning cycle. I gave it a shot, and collected perhaps 50 mL of a 1000 mL wine at 13.5% ABV. Again, that's some beginner numbers... I waited until this last waning cycle to start and jumped right in...

Again, collected a paltry sum.

Now, here's the rub...

When I tested my collected "menstruum" in a hydrometer tube, seeking the coveted 95.5% or, dare I say, 99.5%, I was dashed. My hydrometer showed that what I had collected, perhaps about 7 or 8 oz, was only at 5% ABV!!! This is after running through about 7500 mL of wine!!

Now, I have to ask, what am I doing wrong with my vacuum distillation? I am heating to 38 C with a constant vacuum of 95 mmHG. I am also running the vacuum the whole time with tube going into the boiling flask that is bubbling the wine and pulling the air through the system into the vacuum. I'm thinking the problem is that the wine is being evaporated at that vacuum. I'm also in New Orleans, and therefore, being below sea level, this may impact the work.

I have since switched to a non-vacuum distillation and I can already taste sharpened difference. With only about a week (and not much more than $50), I might only be able to get 750 mL of a first run, and then will wait the next waxing period to run the entire collection another 6 times, including a Salt of Tartar infusion. I will keep you all posted on this as it develops, but my main drive here in this post is the question about the over water saturated distillation I am pulling.

Awani
10-24-2016, 10:49 AM
Welcome.

This section is mainly for introductions. If you want to discuss a certain topic (and it doesn't already exist) then just create a new thread in the appropriate section.

Spin-off thread here: Question on Vacuum Distillation procedure (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4923-Question-on-Vacuum-Distillation-procedure)

:cool: