PDA

View Full Version : Agree to disagree

Awani
10-30-2016, 07:31 AM
A forum is mainly about sharing information... it is also about discussions and debates. Generally speaking there is a tendency to try and convince the party that is disagreeing... and there is a tendency to defend the opinion that is being attacked. Often such debates (if they end well) conclude with something along the lines of "I agree to disagree".

I've been thinking about this for a few days now and my conclusion is that the whole point of any debate is not to convince or win... but to disagree.

More often than not, at least in my experience, does disagreeing lead to further evolution of whatever idea was being presented.

If everyone agreed that would be stagnation.

:cool:

Andro
10-30-2016, 07:41 AM
Disagreement only occurs at the periphery...

The Center is always in 'agreement' :)

Maybe debates and disagreements are reflecting our subconscious longing for our common Center.

Awani
10-30-2016, 08:06 AM
Unfortunately I agree. ;)

zoas23
10-30-2016, 09:13 AM
A forum is mainly about sharing information... it is also about discussions and debates. Generally speaking there is a tendency to try and convince the party that is disagreeing... and there is a tendency to defend the opinion that is being attacked. Often such debates (if they end well) conclude with something along the lines of "I agree to disagree".

I've been thinking about this for a few days now and my conclusion is that the whole point of any debate is not to convince or win... but to disagree.

More often than not, at least in my experience, does disagreeing lead to further evolution of whatever idea was being presented.

If everyone agreed that would be stagnation.

I disagree!!!!!

I LOVE the metaphor of the Dove that receives food (the word that circulates and everyone feeds it). If you thread on someone else's idea, then you "steal" the food he gave to the Dove.

My idea of a thread is that is very much like a mural with several "painters"... if the painters scratch what the others paint or if they paint above what they painted with the intention of "making it disappear", then that's no longer a *shared* work.

At least what I try to do is to add my 2 cents, rather that trying to "win" (which is stupid).

Confrontations often lead to conversations which are more or less like:

-YES!
-NO!
-YES!
-NO WAY!
-YOU ARE AN IDIOT!
-YOU ARE AN ASSHOLE!
-THE ANSWER IS STILL "YES"
-THE ANSWER IS "NO".

Hmm... it's hard to put into words, but I think the true "evolution" of an idea takes place (within a group/forum), when those who are involved in the debate act as a team... The team can have different opinions, but he point is to arrive to something that is "better" than what each person said... which happens ONLY when the *mood* of everyone involved is to feed the same Dove (Logos).

Another metaphor would be that it's an "experimental band" and everyone plays a different instrument... if you use your drum kit to make the one who plays the tibetan bowl become impossible to hear, then you are not good for the "band".

This is my ideal debate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEYt1bIa_9k

The music there EVOLVES in a way I like...

And these are the instructions / Score for this piece:

Set Sail for the Sun
Play a tone for so long
until you hear its individual vibrations
hold the tone
and listen to the tones of the others
-to all of them together, not to individual ones-
and slowly move your tone
until you arrive at complete harmony
and the whole sound turns to gold
to pure, gently shimmering fire

(I think Kiorionis will like this Score by Stockhausen :) )