PDA

View Full Version : Did Midas complete the great work?

ArcherSage
10-31-2016, 04:41 PM
We all know the legends of Midas who could turn anything he touched into gold, also known as "the Midas touch". He was so prideful about his ability that he would turn his food and water into gold, which made it inedible. I found this part of his story very interesting, after being upset about his gift.

"He prayed to Dionysus, begging to be delivered from starvation. Dionysus heard his prayer, and consented; telling Midas to wash in the river Pactolus. Then, whatever he put into the water would be reversed of the touch.

Midas did so, and when he touched the waters, the power flowed into the river, and the river sands turned into gold. This explained why the river Pactolus was so rich in gold, and the wealth of the dynasty claiming Midas as its forefather no doubt the impetus for this aetiological myth. Gold was perhaps not the only metallic source of Midas' riches: "King Midas, a Phrygian, son of Cybele, first discovered black and white lead""

Illen A. Cluf
10-31-2016, 04:49 PM
We all know the legends of Midas who could turn anything he touched into gold, also known as "the Midas touch". He was so prideful about his ability that he would turn his food and water into gold, which made it inedible. I found this part of his story very interesting, after being upset about his gift.

"He prayed to Dionysus, begging to be delivered from starvation. Dionysus heard his prayer, and consented; telling Midas to wash in the river Pactolus. Then, whatever he put into the water would be reversed of the touch.

Midas did so, and when he touched the waters, the power flowed into the river, and the river sands turned into gold. This explained why the river Pactolus was so rich in gold, and the wealth of the dynasty claiming Midas as its forefather no doubt the impetus for this aetiological myth. Gold was perhaps not the only metallic source of Midas' riches: "King Midas, a Phrygian, son of Cybele, first discovered black and white lead""

What is the source for this information?

ArcherSage
10-31-2016, 05:51 PM
Have you never heard the story of Midas? It is one of the most popular Greek myths of all time..Aristotle wrote about Midas as well. The source from which I quoted is Metamorphoses (Book of transformations) by the roman poet Ovid which he used various myths and legends of the time as his inspiration.

Illen A. Cluf
10-31-2016, 06:21 PM
Have you never heard the story of Midas? It is one of the most popular Greek myths of all time..Aristotle wrote about Midas as well. The source from which I quoted is Metamorphoses (Book of transformations) by the roman poet Ovid which he used various myths and legends of the time as his inspiration.

Of course I have heard of it, but I was wondering which specific source you quoted from. The book may be a very early metaphorical book about alchemy.

Kiorionis
10-31-2016, 07:36 PM
The book may be a very early metaphorical book about alchemy.

Ovid's Metamorphoses (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamorphoses) is a very good book, detailing the various transformations of Roman gods. If I remember correct, there is even a creation story in the beginning of the text.

ArcherSage
10-31-2016, 08:12 PM
The story of Midas has obvious Alchemy undertones, quite literally turning anything he wanted into gold. Sounds like an alchemist to me. Could this have been a real person or do you think it is an allegory for what an Alchemist could be.

Awani
10-31-2016, 11:22 PM
The Midas touch is a curse... if anything it is a warning to alchemists.

:cool:

True Initiate
11-01-2016, 03:55 AM
"King Midas, a Phrygian, son of Cybele, first discovered black and white lead""[/B]

Two types of lead?

ArcherSage
11-01-2016, 04:06 AM
Perhaps its a metaphor for him discovering the balance of the two opposing energies and how to unite them into one, or vice versa and could divide something that was once united.

True Initiate
11-01-2016, 04:41 AM
I doubt they knew much about energies in those times. The Alchemists of the Middle Ages differiented between few types of lead often including ores of the metal. Maybe Antimony or even Bismuth as the white lead and Galena as the black?

Kiorionis
11-01-2016, 05:22 AM

This is how I remember the story too, Midas' misery after turning his beloved to gold.

ArcherSage
11-01-2016, 06:39 AM
I doubt they knew much about energies in those times. The Alchemists of the Middle Ages differiented between few types of lead often including ores of the metal. Maybe Antimony or even Bismuth as the white lead and Galena as the black?

Midas is not a middle age story. And the poem was written just a few years after the death of Christ. And I must disagree with you 100% about people not being knowledgeable about energy back then, rather it is us who is in darkness regarding the sacred inner truths.

zoas23
11-01-2016, 08:56 AM
Archer,

It's interesting to compare the story of Midas (you have chosen Ovids version in his Metamorphoses) with the OTHER great latin classic of that age (actually written some 100 years after Ovid's novel): Apuleius "Golden Ass".

There is something interesting about Midas and Lucius (the character of Apuleius novel): Lucius was turned into an ass (Donkey! it's funny that the word in English has two very different senses!!)... but Apuleius talks a LOT about his ass' EARS.

Midas had two "weird things", the *power* of turning things into gold and ass' EARS.

Lucius managed to stop being an Ass and become a human again by "washing himself 7 times in a river"... Midas ended up having a worst fate.
Even if Midas only had ass' ears, symbolically he was an ass too (even if he kept his human body).

But it's interesting to compare both myths... because they are quite similar (asses who have to learn a lesson -in my interpretation).

Ghislain
11-01-2016, 09:39 AM
A couple of points...one is why the world didn't turn to gold...Midas was not floating in the air; did his power to turn matter into gold have a range?

Two...Ass is American for Arse ;)

Ghislain

Kiorionis
11-01-2016, 12:04 PM
Graphite used to be called 'black lead', or 'blacklead'.

In fact, I still hear people calling pencils 'lead pencils' even though they're made of graphite.

JDP
11-01-2016, 12:47 PM

It was only a "curse" because Midas did not formulate his wish more carefully. He should have clarified that this ability to turn everything he touched into gold could be "switched on and off" at his will. With that cautious clarification his wish would have been a total blessing. So the real warning is: be careful HOW you wish for something, think about all the possible pros and cons first and take measures to avoid the cons.

ArcherSage
11-01-2016, 02:10 PM
I have read that he who possesses the stone, either does not die or lives a very long time. Midas lived less than 70 years apparently.