PDA

View Full Version : Gold to Lead

Awani
11-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Has anyone tried to go the other way in their practical lab work?

:cool:

Ghislain
11-04-2016, 08:47 PM
Might be interesting.

Ghislain

JDP
11-05-2016, 11:43 AM
Might be interesting.

Ghislain

If you want to go bankrupt fast, that is.

zoas23
11-05-2016, 01:56 PM
As far as I know (though I think most people here knows it), both things have already been done by modern physics using nuclear reactions (other transmutations have also been produced, some of them not involving metals)... The same thing was done with Bismuth into Gold (in the context of modern physics)... but all these experiments showed that with the current technology they simply worked to show that it's possible, but didn't produce a profit, but a loss (in economical terms, because the process is too expensive).

And turning gold into lead has been proved to be easier than turning lead into gold.

I don't remember to have ever heard of an alchemist trying to turn lead into gold, but I assume it should be easier (this is only a speculation)... though it would actually make a lot of sense, since it obviously involves an economical loss, but it would be a way to learn something that may lead to other discoveries. So it sounds like a "joke", but it would be interesting (and I assume that anyone who decided to try it, would probably not do it with 5 kilos of Gold, but only with a small amount).

Awani
11-05-2016, 01:57 PM
It's only a loss if you deem gold valuable. Perhaps something could be learned from it. Reverse engineering style.

:cool:

Salazius
11-05-2016, 02:13 PM
It is not a loss or a gain. It is just as it is. Involution.

Now, yes, I had once, on three leaves of gold a reaction of reverse transmutation. It gave me an atomic powder of a grey metal, having a capacity to strongly react to a magnet (maybe it was iron, nickel, cobalt).

This was done with a very simple and special "alkahest", at room temperature. Just few drops upon the gold leaves made them precipitate as this powder.

theFool
11-05-2016, 04:48 PM
Now, yes, I had once, on three leaves of gold a reaction of reverse transmutation. It gave me an atomic powder of a grey metal, having a capacity to strongly react to a magnet (maybe it was iron, nickel, cobalt). I have encountered a similar powder (made by chemical means from gold) numerous times. It has the chemical properties of iron but some of its characteristics are similar to gold also. I don't think it is a transmutation (nucleus doesn't change) but a different form of gold, unknown to science. I'm impressed that it can be made so quickly as you describe. For me, it requires a lot of effort and time.

Salazius
11-05-2016, 07:12 PM
Hmmm theFool, it is very interesting. This is possible indeed yes.

It was made on the moment without heat at all and very simply.

crestind
11-07-2016, 02:59 AM
If you want to go bankrupt fast, that is.
JDP, always the practical one ;)

That said, I vaguely seem to recall reading about the redution of sol into saturn... but I could be imagining things.

ArcherSage
11-07-2016, 01:46 PM
If you ever create the stone and produce gold, it would be honorable to turn it back to lead xD