PDA

View Full Version : LGTTB underground culture.

zoas23
11-09-2016, 06:16 AM
There is a thread for discussing about sexual orientations and gender identity here:

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?3634-Diversity-In-Sexual-Orientation-amp-Gender-Identity

I'm quite boring in that sense (straight, middle class, white male)... I wish I had something more controversial to offer, but I don't. O.K... such thing sounds as a "disclaimer", but it's not... I simply clarify my situation because it would be boring if this thread is "exclusive" for gays, lesbians or transgenders... that's NOT my idea.

One of my BIG fascinations is the underground LGTTB culture, specially when it comes to arts. Probably it is because I have many gay & lesbian friends (actually my closest friends have always been gays or lesbians)... or probably it is because I completely despise the so called "macho culture" and in the LGTTB underground art I've found alternatives to that paradigm... or probably it is because I found there a very worthy counter-culture with an immense creativity, which I enjoy the most.

The *boring* moral discussions can remain in the other thread I posted above... This one is only for posting examples of underground LGTTB culture and art. It would be nice if the posts contain a reference or some sort of "personal review" about what is posted... as to give some context to the others. Posts which about examples of counter-cultures that defy the established paradigms about gender roles and stereotypes are OK too.

No need to be gay. lesbian, transgender or transvestite to post here at all... just post something that you love... and PLEASE avoid the "moral debates" here... no need to have two threads for such thing.

Post movies, videos, works of art or whatever you like...

zoas23
11-09-2016, 06:38 AM
This is a love story I love the most... if you like it, I strongly suggest watching the movie "The ballad of Genesis and Lady Jaye (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1821635/)".

Genesis P-Orridge was one of the founder members of the first industrial band Throbbing Gristle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Throbbing_Gristle) (1976–1981, with a comback between 2004–2010). He was also the founder of Industrial Records (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Records), one of the first independent music/record labels, which worked only with experimental bands creating an alternative music that existed during the first wave of Punk bands (though the two "scenes" were quite independent from each other).

When TG dissolved, Genesis founded the band Psychic TV (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic_TV), which expanded the classical "industrial music" to become something quite impossible to classify. The band was very focused on magical ideas, in most cases related to the ideas of the ideas of the british artist and witch Austin Osman Spare.

In 1993, Genesis and his second wife, Lady Jaye Breyer, began a project called "The Pandrogeny Project"... which involved several surgeries to become as physically identical as possible and give up their identities as "male" and "female"... and trying to create an alchemical wedding as a single pandrogyne being by following the ideas of William Burroughs and Brion Gysin (who used to work together very often and created the concept of the "Third Mind" -i.e, an artificial mind created by the close collaboration of two individuals in a project, a mind that has traits that none of the two individual persons has). The project involved a return to an ideal state of Pandrogeny... becoming male and woman all at once. A "release" from the established genders.

A part of this project involved creating this video, called "The Pandrogeny Project", which was their joint manifesto, which begins with their motto: "S/HE IS HER/E"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7RT05cf1w8

I like the alchemical resonances of their ideas and the references to the Rebis.

zoas23
11-10-2016, 12:05 AM
Derek Jarman (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Jarman) (31 January 1942 – 19 February 1994) was a film director and a stage designer.
He gained some popularity in 1970 after being the production designer of one of the best films of Ken Russell: "The Devils (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Devils_(film))", which was based on two books by Aldous Huxley.

By 1978 he filmed "Jubilee", which featured several punk musicians and became the first long feature Punk film. A very interesting film, because it established a parallel between the Punk scene and the contacts with spirits of John Dee. During his punk era he also created the opening short film called "Sex Pistols number 1" that used to be played before each gig of the Sex Pistols in their early era. He also recorded the first film of the Sex Pistols playing live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVMqJfFDX90

Previously to his involvement with the punk scene, he filmed "Sebastiane", based on the story of Saint Sebastian, though with a gay twist.

He kept on filming and became the fetish director of video-clips for bands whose members were gay or promoting extreme counter-culture ideas (Throbbing Gristle, The Smiths, The Pet Shop Boys, Vagina Dentata Organ, Soft Cell, etc).

His films are outstanding and with a marvelous aesthetic... some highlights are "The Angelic Conversation", again based on the ideas of John Dee mixed with the most beautiful love sonnets of Shakespeare and the plot is the alchemical wedding of a gay couple.

Gay rights and mysticism are the two core themes of his films. Some of his films are very experimental, some others are a bit more conventional (narrative). Derek Jarman was a gay rights activists during the whole of his life... though he never filmed thinking of a "gay audience", his films have always been inclusive... and beautiful (I have to confess that I made a few short films and probably all of them are quoting Jarman in a way or other).

He became canonized as a saint by the Order of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence (an Order of Drag Queens who somehow mock religion and use funny ways to promote very interesting ideas). A film with his canonization:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcessfaJW0M

He sadly got infected with HIV when AIDS was still a fatal disease... though such thing didn't stop him from working till he finally died and I wanted to share my favorite film, which is his last film and his testament: "BLUE".

Since he had AIDS, he was taking medicines which had terrible side effects and the medicines damaged his eyes and during his last months he could only see the color blue and was very aware that he was agonizing. So he got inspired by the painter Yves Klein (a painter who explicitly worked with alchemical ideas and was very open about it), who had painted several blue paintings (yeah, simply covering the whole of the canvas with blue)... and made a film in which the screen is blue from beginning to end... so some people say that it's more a "soundtrack" rather than a film... though anyone who has had the luck to watch it at a cinema understands the hypnotic experience of facing a blue light for 90 minutes. My favorite film director and my favorite film.

"Blue" is about the experience of being about to die (which was not a metaphor, the film was finished some 4 months before his death), what he expected to find after death, the trivial and bureaucratic experience of being a patient who is going to die, his mix of enthusiasm and fear about being about to die, the experience of being gay, memories about his life and the punk revolution, and the feeling that the IMAGE is a trap and how death could mean getting rid of the images... and the color BLUE, which was a symbol of the mystical experience. A very intimate film... I can only compare it with Bowie's "Blackstar".

My favorite quote of the film, which has to be written in a proper colour:

Blue protects white from innocence
Blue drags black with it
Blue is darkness made visible
Blue protects white from innocence
Blue drags black with it
Blue is darkness made visible

Over the mountains is the shrine to Rita, where all at the end of the line call. Rita is the Saint of the Lost Cause. The saint of all who are at their wit's end, who are hedged in and trapped by the facts of the world. These facts, detached from cause, trapped the Blue Eyed Boy in a system of unreality. Would all these blurred facts that deceive dissolve in his last breath? For accustomed to believing in image, an absolute idea of value, his world had forgotten the command of essence: Thou Shall Not Create Unto Thyself Any Graven Image, although you know the task is to fill the empty page. From the bottom of your heart, pray to be released from image.

Time is what keeps the light from reaching us.

The image is a prison of the soul, your heredity, your education, your vices and aspirations, your qualities, your psychological world.

I have walked behind the sky.
For what are you seeking?
The fathomless blue of Bliss.

To be an astronaut of the void, leave the comfortable house that imprisons you with reassurance.
Remember,

To be going and to have are not eternal - fight the fear that engenders the beginning, the middle and the end.

For Blue there are no boundaries or solutions.

How did my friends cross the cobalt river, with what did they pay the ferryman? As they set out for the indigo shore under this jet-black sky - some died on their feet with a backward glance. Did they see Death with the hell hounds pulling a dark chariot, bruised blue-black growing dark in the absence of light, did they hear the blast of trumpets?

a film that is worth WATCHING (I highlight the word watching). Here's a link to the film, I am sending it as a link because it's divided in 7 parts in youtube, but the playlist will show the whole film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBzCoGXEuc&index=2&list=PLD1E6707220219650
(sadly it has subtitles, it's more beautiful without them... but they are useful to those who have English as a second language).

Be careful... it may become your favorite film too!!!

Andro
11-10-2016, 09:07 AM
It seems you know so much more about GLBT/Q culture than I do :o

The BLUE quote is one of the most beautiful texts I have EVER read, and I am not exaggerating! (my favorite parts are re-quoted below)

I have never before seen Gnosis so gently yet unapologetically touched upon, with such amazingly beautiful poetic language. I will look more into Derek's life and work. Thank you!

Indeed, time is keeping the light from reaching us. The light of Gnosis cannot truly reach us (such as we cannot truly BE it) while trapped in time and imprisoned in its mirrors, reflecting the images of our illusions in such an intoxicating kaleidoscope of variations.

The end (of time) is nigh! :)

From the bottom of your heart, pray to be released from image.

Time is what keeps the light from reaching us.

The image is a prison of the soul, your heredity, your education, your vices and aspirations, your qualities, your psychological world.

To be an astronaut of the void, leave the comfortable house that imprisons you with reassurance.

Remember, to be going and to have are not eternal - fight the fear that engenders the beginning, the middle and the end.

zoas23
11-10-2016, 12:43 PM
It seems you know so much more about GLBT/Q culture than I do :o

I think I do!
I find there a true treasure that for a long time existed in the periphery, in the margins of society... The Punks decided to be Punks and created their own counter-culture.
However in our societies, gays and lesbians in several cases had nothing to choose, creating a counter culture wasn't even a choice, but the only means to exist. Thus I find something very legitimate, honest, courageous and different there, something of worth that "saved me" from idiocy... and that is not related to my sexual orientation, but with my passion for that which has been forced to be different because there was no other choice. It's hard to put into words that make sense.
Other than that, my Leo pride forces me to say: "You have seen nothing yet, expect to be surprised!"

The BLUE quote is one of the most beautiful texts I have EVER read, and I am not exaggerating! (my favorite parts are re-quoted below)

I have never before seen Gnosis so gently yet unapologetically touched upon, with such amazingly beautiful poetic language. I will look more into Derek's life and work. Thank you!

Indeed, time is keeping the light from reaching us. The light of Gnosis cannot truly reach us (such as we cannot truly BE it) while trapped in time and imprisoned in its mirrors, reflecting the images of our illusions in such an intoxicating kaleidoscope of variations. The end (of time) is nigh! :)

Derek Jarman was a genius. I strongly suggest his film "Edward II", based on the play by Marlowe, but bringing the story to contemporary times and mixing medieval costumes with modern devices and clothes... and linking the story with the Stonewall riots. The result is outstanding.

As for BLUE... yes, it's the most legitimate Gnostic film... He was almost blind (which is hard when his passion was being a film director, which involves working with images) and he had to rush because death was chasing him. Instead of feeling depressed and doing nothing, he decided to create his final masterpiece, his legacy... and his uneasy situation (blind, agonizing) became his tools to make something whose beauty is unrivaled. He even had to re-invent what cinema is.

The alchemical tradition has a lot of "Testaments" (i.e, the Testament of Llull, the letter of Aristeo to his son http://www.levity.com/alchemy/aristeo.html -Nobody translated it to English???).... a genre I love because it contains a special intimacy (even if some of them are "forgeries" in the sense that they were probably not written by someone who was really agonizing)... but the message is always similar: "I have lived, I have experienced many things and I've learnt many thing, my time to leave has arrived, but I feel the need to tell you what I have learnt during my life on Earth and I hope you will learn something from my experiences here"... it's a very romantic genre in itself.

More "surprises" will come in the near future!

Andro
11-10-2016, 12:59 PM
I can understand my own choicelessness, but for you it seems to be something else... like a gift or natural predisposition to recognize and cherish hidden values/treasures that most others are impermeable to...

אין הברכה מצויה אלא בדבר הסמוי מן העין

the letter of Aristeo to his son http://www.levity.com/alchemy/aristeo.html - Nobody translated it to English???)

Our next common project, perhaps?

:cool:

Awani
11-10-2016, 04:01 PM
LGTTB? There is an extra T? Means?

I googled but first thing that came up was this damn thread. LOL.

Not that underground (but in a sense it is if you ask average joe), but Lou Reed has always been an artist that I've enjoyed. I was also equally influenced by Nirvana during my teens. I always recall seeing that interview with Kurt Cobain where he pretended to be gay just because he wanted to annoy the macho jocks at school. He also on occasion french kissed his bass player on stage. Might seem like a small thing, but Nirvana was big for me during the years when my brain began to form political opinions and I certainly formed the opinion that there is nothing wrong with sexual preferences. Perhaps I would have come to this conclusion anyway... but Nirvana (and too a large degree Lou Reed) certainly made me arrive at that opinion quicker. It was certainly not a ok to think during that time in my society (although it is so now).

I don't want to get into the moral debate, there is that other thread (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?3634-Diversity-In-Sexual-Orientation-amp-Gender-Identity) for that... just wanted to highlight two artists that perhaps were not outright LGTTB (?) themselves, but they certainly were allies with that culture (and both underground for a while).

When I was 8 years old I loved Top Gun... even considered becoming a pilot. LOL.

I've been trying to think of other ones... but honestly I usually don't care about these things... more concerned with the art itself so I probably enjoy a lot of LGTTB culture not knowing it actually is part of that.

Andro
11-10-2016, 04:18 PM

Zoas uses 2 T's for Transgender & Transvestite. In my parts of the world, only one T is used for both (but mainly for Transgender) and a 'Q' was (more recently) also added for 'Queer' (currently defined as 'non-defined' :))

sexual preferences

It's not sexual preference, it's sexual orientation. Calling it 'preference' is like calling the color of your eyes (that you were born with) 'preference'.

Awani
11-10-2016, 04:59 PM
Zoas uses 2 T's for Transgender & Transvestite. In my parts of the world, only one T is used for both (but mainly for Transgender) and a 'Q' was (more recently) also added for 'Queer' (currently defined as 'non-defined' :))

It's not sexual preference, it's sexual orientation. Calling it 'preference' is like calling the color of your eyes (that you were born with) 'preference'.

Ok I see. Damn words.

Andro
11-10-2016, 05:04 PM
Damn words.

Damn words indeed :)

Thanks for understanding.

zoas23
11-11-2016, 11:00 AM
COIL (1982–2004)

Coil was mostly a duo of two incredibly talented artists; Peter Christopherson and Johnn Balance.

Peter Christopherson began as a graphic designer for albums covers... in most cases working for quite famous bands, so you probably know some of his works already, but never knew the story of the man who made the cover of those albums!

i.e... one of his most famous designs: Pink Floyd's cover of "Wish you were here"

http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/gallery/wishyouwerehere-500-1377007226.jpg

And during the whole of his life he worked as the director of several video-clips of bands that you probably know (Erasure, Ministry, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine, etc).

The one I like best is the one he did for Ministry featuring William Burroughs (who deserves a post in this thread for sure!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYYGKCanqfA

As for his musical projects, he began as one of the founding members of the quartet Throbbing Gristle (see post #2 in this same thread). When Throbbing Gristle dissolved he became a member of Psychic TV, which featured two former members of Throbbing Gristle (Genesis P-Orridge and him) and other musicians, one of them was Johnn Balance.

This is an interview to Genesis P-Orridge and Peter Christopherson during that era:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjssKDFlBZM

After meeting in Psychic TV, Peter and Johnn became life partners and decided to create their own band: Coil (in which they played as they were members of Psychic TV, but then left Psychic TV to devote the whole of their time to Coil).

Coil... it was based on the common interests of Peter and Johnn: gay culture, paganism, magic and alchemy. They began as an Industrial band, but after their first albums moved to an absolutely experimental ground. Their influences were as broad as possible... from Karlheinz Stockhausen to Sun Ra... from the early industrial bands to La Monte Young.

They were also the musicians behind several of the movies of Derek Jarman (see post #3 in this thread): the music of the movies "The Angelic Conversation" and most of "Blue" belongs to them. Their style was often quite surreal, poetic and kind (I will finish the post with something about such thing).

This is a nice song they devoted to their idol, Sun Ra (an avant-garde free jazz musician... the images in this video belong to Sun Ra's movie "Space is the place")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKIptf-eVcg

As musicians they explored a wide diversity of genres (drone music, industrial, acid house, ambient and free-style experimental music). They created a side project called "Time Machines". Their intention was:

Some of the types of music you listen to - sacred musics like Tibetan music or anything with a sacred intent which often is long ceremonial type music which could last for a day or three days or something. There are periods of time in that where you will come out of time. That's the intention of it to go into a trance and achieve an otherness. We thought can we do this sort of electronic punk-primitive? We did demos with a simple mono synth and we managed it. We sat in the room and listened to it loud and we lost track of time - it could be five minutes in or 20 minutes in but you suddenly get this feeling, the hairs on the back of your neck, and you'd realise that you'd had some sort of temporal slip. We fine-tuned, well, filters and oscillators and stuff, to try and maximise this effect. It was that we were after with simple tones - somehow you could slip through.

This is my favorite Coil song, which also shows their theatrical way of playing live... and a song filled with alchemical metaphors ("By working the soil, we cultivate the sky. By working the soil, we cultivate good manners"). They are a trio here because the musician Thighpaulsandra had joined them (and also recorded with them many times)... I think I posted this video a few times here before!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvVdySem-Xc

Sadly, Johnn Balance died after a silly accident on 13 November 2004 (he fell from the stairs of his house). Peter died in 2010.

Now, here's a personal story I've had with them... which taught me a lot.
In 2002 I began the project of making a movie about the British painter & Witch Austin Osman Spare.

I was in touch with the writer of the best book about the works of Austin Spare I've ever read in my life (which he kindly dedicated to Peter, Johnn, me and a few other friends of him when it was published in Spanish). He had sent me a few home-made CDs of his music and I thought: "Hmmm... my friend Gavin is the main expert on the works of Austin Spare I can think about! His music has to be the music of the film!!!". The problem was that his home-made recordings were not quite good in quality because he was recording with a cheap recording machine.

I knew that Peter and Johnn LOVED Austin Osman Spare, so we both got in touch with them and asked them if they could suggest a studio to record the music (which was another of his jobs and many albums and films you probably saw had the musical production of Coil -i.e, "Lost Highway" by David Lynch). I wrote from the arse of the world, being almost a teen and asked them if they knew of a cheap studio. They replied that my friend Gavin could record for free at their studio and that they were going to be in charge of mixing the recordings and doing the production (no need to say that I was even more than absolutely shocked). I told them that "The Angelic Conversation" was my favorite movie (LOL... I can't decide between "Blue" and "The Angelic Conversation", both of them are my favorite movie).

I filmed during 2003 and I was sending descriptions and drawings of the scenes to Gavin. He sent me the resulting CD and told me that I was going to be VERY surprised... The CD was signed by Peter and John and contained a written quote from A streetcar named desire: "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers."

I emailed Gavin as soon as the CD arrived and he told me... "listen to the last track", which I did and I was surprised, it was the sound of a clock that Peter and John had recorded for Derek Jarman's "Angelic Conversation", but isolated from the other sounds of the scene, just the clock. Then Gavin told me: "Peter and Johnn say that if you want to include this clock in the movie, it can become like a brother of your favorite film".
(The best gift I received in my whole life!).

So I will finish this post about Coil with the lovely scene of Jarman's "Angelic Conversation" in which this clock is heard...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk9jl1IuBrs

(Later Gavin, who is a publisher, asked me if I wanted him to publish the movie as a DVD under his Publishing house, which we did... sadly Johnn died before the release and Gavin and I decided to dedicate the movie to him in the booklet).

They taught me a big lesson, which is that sometimes a perfect stranger can have an amazing kindness and that "good manners" make a big difference, especially with strangers. The impact of this lesson is still alive in me.

zoas23
11-11-2016, 11:09 AM

In Spanish we often write it like that... but it's what Andro explained (the initials of the words are the same ones in Spanish and in English). The Q is not truly used because there isn't any word that has that meaning in Spanish.

As for what you said, Dev, yeah... I am mostly thinking of artists who worked with a very explicit emphasis on the LGTTB culture... Of course, Sergei Eisenstein was gay and I love his films, but they are 100% unrelated to the LGGTB culture.

zoas23
11-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Kenneth Anger (born in 1927 and still alive and kicking) was probably one of the pioneers of Gay Cinema and Occult Cinema.
His films mix the logic of surrealism which gay fantasies and occult ideas.
He only filmed short films and can't be described as a very prolific film director (in the sense that watching his entire filmography takes some 2 or 3 hours).
He was openly gay since he was a teen, when the U.S. laws still considered that homosexual relationships were a "crime".
Other than that he always filmed following the logic of the early silent films, though he added soundtracks for all his movies (but never used dialogues or recorded sounds during the production of the films).
Being definitely an "underground" director, it is possible to say that many of his ideas have been extremely influential for the invention of the genre of "video-clips", whilst his peculiar narrative influenced a lot of experimental filmmakers (DAvid Lynch often quotes him as one of his influences).

He began to film when he was 10 years old, though his the earliest of his films which survived was filmed when he was 17 years old ("Fireworks").

"Fireworks" was filmed at his parents home when he was a teen (1947), but it was only screened to a wide public almost a decade later (1958). A few days later after the screening of the film, Anger was arrested and had to face a trial under the charge of "obscenity" (the "obscenity" was, of course, the openly gay nature of the film). The case arrives to the U.S. supreme court, which declared that the film was not "obscene", but "a work of art", becoming a precedent for the U.S. legislation on films which portray homosexuality in a positive way. The sexolofist Alfred Kinsey, who has seen the film in "underground screenings" got in touch with Anger as to write about the film and they became friends, during the trial the reports written by Kinsey and his testimonials on the nature of the film (Kinsey had died 2 years before the trial) became one of the main causes of the "victory" of Anger in that trial.

FIREWORKS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ6dJDoNNO4

His first surviving film was deeply inspired by the films of Jean Cocteau, but especially the first two films of Luis Buñuel & Salvador Dalí (Un Chien Andalou and L'Age d'Or).
Fireworks has been described by Anger as an expression of how he felt when he was 17 about U.S. Patriotism, the 4th of July, Christmas and being gay in a country where such thing was illegal.

Since it would be long to name each of the films by Anger, I'll jump to his cult move "Scorpio Rising" (1964). The film was a collage of the obsessions of Anger: the rebel pop idols he admired (James Dean and Marlon Brando), the Occult, the gay biker gay culture... and a very negative vision of the "hippie culture", which he envisioned as a new Nazism and the film contains several references to Nazism in that sense (which Anger understood as a destructive force, a putrefaction, that was going to be followed by an Albus). The film was, of course, based on his idea of an age of Scorpio that was arriving (filmed during the Vietnam War). When the film was released, once more Anger was arrested and faced a trial for "obscenity". The case arrived again to the U.S. Supreme Court, which again declared that the film was "a work of art". Another curiosity is that the film was the first fictional film known that featured rock music, though Anger willingly chosen the most kitsch songs possible to create a juxtaposition with the violence of the images.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PPT0gYfGoE

INVOCATION OF MY DEMON BROTHER (1969)
The film went deepet into the ideas of "Scopio Rising" and mixed the Nazificaton of culture and the Vietnam War, a rite for Mercury, the Rolling Stones, Anger's rejection and mockery of the Christian culture and a lot of satanic imaginery. The music of the film was performed by Mick Jagger, though it's probably the most experimental music that Jagger composed in the whole of his life. PRobably one of the most experimental films by Anger...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kHNVGBGHRg

And I'll finish the thread with his best film:

LUCIFER RISING (1966-1972)
The film can be seen as the "third part" of the previous two... whilst "Scorpio Rising" and "Invocation of my Demon Brother" were films of a very destructive nature, "Lucifer Rising" showed the ideas of Anger about what happened after this destructive process, with Lucifer being the carrier of light. The film also suggested a return Paganism, specially Egyptian. The making of this film was quite complex, since the main character was Bobby Beausoleil, who was Anger's boyfriend, but they splitted up in 1967 and Bobby stole most of the film and the cameras that Anger has (and joined the Manon's family and was involved in the infamous murders -a move that Anger despised the most).
Anger finished the movie without his former boyfriend and the cast ended up featuring Marianne Faithful and Jimmy Page (among other less famous actors)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQidfcNPSh8

Anger is, as I've said, a filmmaker who is considered one of the greatest pioneers of Gay Cinema and Occult Cinema... His style has always been controversial and he faced more than one trial for obscenity. strangely enough, his most famous works are two books: "Hollywood Babylon" and "Hollywood Babylon II", which are simply books about the "dark side" of the classical years of the movie industry (a typical "gossip book"), but both of them became best sellers, but they are quite unrelated to his works as a filmmaker and they were written with explicit intention of making money to make more films (not really amazing books to be honest). He is writing since several years ago the third part of this book, about the controversies between the Church of Scientology and the Movie Industry, but he could never release it due to the potential lawsuits (the Church of Scientology is famous for being VERY aggressive when it comes to attacking legally its detractors).

Other than that, I think that if you watch his films, you'll find one of the most interesting filmmakers that ever existed.