PDA

View Full Version : The Illusion of the Past

Awani
11-20-2016, 02:28 PM
Have you ever had a memory and when retelling it to someone you share the memory with you are told that it wasn't YOU that did whatever you remember, but the other person? Our memories are a bit messed up. Some things we remember well, other things fade quickly... and most often than not we easily distort or change our memories (or even block them out).

The creator of the comic strip Dilbert Scott Adams is a proponent of the concept that reality is a software/VR etc. He said this in an interview recently:

"The past doesn't exist until you need it. The past writes itself on demand. If we are software you wouldn't have anything pre-programmed just because you need it. It would require to much resources."

I think this concept is very interesting, and I must admit I had never thought about it in this way before. Completely changes the game and requires those that support the "VR" reality to update the model a bit. Although it fits perfectly with the idea that we should try and be mindful and remain in the present... not that it is bad to dwell on the past, but it is a waste of energy to "create and write" past events when you can instead do the same with the here and now.

Could also explain why some people have "forgotten" trauma. Perhaps those things never happened, but instead they are created in post-production and when the trauma has been created it is easier to "get over it"... and this fits with my idea that there is "nothing to get over". Everything is fine. The problem is we have an addiction to problems.

:cool: