PDA

View Full Version : Cults & Sects

Awani
12-18-2016, 05:52 PM
If we think about it society is a cult or a sect. Usually society classify small groups that have weird ideas as cults and/or sects, but society itself is the same thing if you think about it.

:cool:

zoas23
12-18-2016, 08:10 PM
I don't see how society is a sect... I don't see it that way at all.
Yeah, a lot of groups with strange ideas are called "sects" and they are not.
And yet some groups ARE sects. Ever been part of one that you can describe as a sect?

I have... only for 3 months... and it was a Yoga school (I wanted to learn Yoga without seeking at all for the "spiritual side" of Yoga... to be honest, it was my alternative to gym). So I went to a Yoga school and I suddenly found myself into a weird school in which the whole point was to follow the ideas of a person... and some very strict rules:
-You had to turn vegetarian (such thing was not a problem for me, I'm vegetarian since I am a child)
-You were not allowed to drink alcohol (I don't drink alcohol, so it wasn't a problem).
-You could not read books, except the books by the founder of the school of yoga or books explicitly authorized by him.
-You could not have sex with persons who were not part of the school or who had not payed their monthly fee (because such thing lead to "spiritual involution").
-You had to make daily adorations to this person.
-You could not practice yoga with persons who were not part of the school.
-You were suggested to talk to your friends about the school of yoga... and try to convince them to join... if they didn't want to do it, then it meant that they were "not your real friends", because they were "unevolved" and you didn't want to hang around with "unevolved humans".
-The Leader had explicit instructions about how to have sex, with whom to have sex, how to eat and what to eat, how to sleep, how to work, how to do ANYTHING in every area of life.
-You were encouraged to get ready to leave your usual job and become a Yoga teacher.
-You had to attend to "study groups" in which the books by the leader of the sect were read... it was NOT allowed to question what he said, but it wasn't allowed to comment what he said either.The Further you could go was to ask a person to read again a part that you liked. He was so "sacred" that even commenting his books was like a "sin".
-You were STRONGLY discouraged about having a monogamous relationship... since the point was that all the girls had to have sex with the boys and the boys with the girls, but without creating "relationships". Sex was simply like a "practice".

I've been there for 3 months... the first 2 months were pretty normal and I learned some yoga... the third month is when the WEIRD ideas began... and I said "bye bye, I completely disagree with everything here"... and I left. The whole idea of "yoga School" was somehow like a farce, the whole point was to keep you buying the products and seminars of this asshole. Of course, it looked very much like a very normal yoga school if you didn't know what was going on inside of it.

I can't claim that I'm a "victim" because I stayed there for 3 months and the first 2 were quite normal and the "indoctrination" began in the 3rd month and I said "bye bye!" (I got into it because I was dating the main responsible of it in my country... and her life was a complete mess... I finished that relationship when I left too).

If you say that society is screwed up, I agree... if you say that it acts just like a sect acts, I don't really see how. It is completely different to be honest... or at least that's my perception.

Maybe SOME societies like North Korea, but I do not know what is REALLY going on there and the information we all have about North Korea is quite biased.

Awani
12-18-2016, 09:55 PM
Well what about the social contract, which in a sense includes your allegiance to taxation, beliefs, morals, ethics and traditions of whatever society you are in (even the language/code). It is just a macrocosm of a microcosm of the "cult/sect". If you think about it from the outside looking in I think it has some striking similarities.

sect
1. a body of persons adhering to a particular religious faith; a religious denomination.
2. a group regarded as heretical or as deviating from a generally accepted religious tradition.
3. (in the sociology of religion) a Christian denomination characterized by insistence on strict qualifications for membership, as distinguished from the more inclusive groups called churches.
4. any group, party, or faction united by a specific doctrine or under a doctrinal leader.

cult
1. a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.
2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers:
the physical fitness cult.
3. the object of such devotion.
4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
5. Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.
6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
7. the members of such a religion or sect.

I am aware that the definition are "religious", but if you look at the laws, rules, ethics, morals and beliefs of any society as "religious" (because that is how they are venerated) then the above fits IMO (especially the red bits).

Ghislain
12-19-2016, 02:59 PM
If the breakaway part of a group is the largest, which is then the sect, the largest with the different belief or the smaller original?

Ghislain

elixirmixer
12-19-2016, 07:00 PM
Dev right, you atheists are forming into a huge blob of collective un-conciousness having rejected the Christian way of life with it's 'laws'. Now the masses blindly follow people who they know are evil and corrupted. You work for them, you give to them the first fruits of every crop, they are foolishly worshipped by a lot of the masses, they sleep with your daughters, who they educated themselves to be vulnerable to such things from the very first Disney movie they watched, right up until That first penis at a rip old age of 13 - 15.

If the world is a cult, and if this cult is fucked, why do you keep supporting it's ideals? (Aka: work with and agree with and support this current system)

I do not work. I take as much money from the government as I can and I wait for the day it collapses.

Why? Because I'm lazy? Because I have a marijiwana addiction? No. No... It's because, wether your a doctor, nurse, counsellor, librarian, teacher, lawyer, policeman, or whatever you 'ARE!?........ You are doing humanity a disservice. We were never suppose to be subordinates to other people. We we're suppose to live equally with GOD as our god. Rather that a football player, or celebrity, or penis.

Man is corrupted by authority. Our whole system is build in a pyramid like structure and it has facilitated the perfect environment for corruption to fester and start bumming the kids.

No no no, I simply will not participate in it. I can work for cash. I can grow good. I can spend the governments money on rainwater tanks. I can learn chemistry and make everything from scratch. I can start a company that does some actual good (although companies aren't the best at achieving 'goodness' because they are inherently part of the problem.

To conclude, atheism is the craziest, most manic, bewilderingly hypnotic and deceptive cult I have ever heard of, which is the furthest from the truth of all 'religions'

The 'elite' are not atheists. They simply teach an atheistic culture because it leaves people feeling more 'empty' causing the 'wants' and therefore living costs to increase.

Being part of the Mormon cult for about three years now, I can see the same things going on there, collective un-conciousness. This is what I call the state of people, who, due to a united belief pattern and also their social context, people begin to stop thinking for themselves and start to just "go with the flow".

They convince themselves that they have the truth and no one else (therefore stop reading any additional information about anything other than there socio-culturalistic version of their religion, and therefore never actually attain the the full truth (which must, of necessity, consist of all that is, was and will be) ((including the history, practises and philosophies of other religions)

Yeah, people are dumb, they follow any dickhead who is corrupted enough to want to take control over them. They love being little slaves, they wouldn't know how to live any other way......

I'll repeat (THEY WOULDN'T KNOW HOW TO LIVE, any other way....)

Do you know how to live without the supporting the destructing of the earth and ourselves? (same thing)

Do you keep pretending like your a fully realised being, even though each week you pay vassal to others who have enslaved you?

Do you hate the idea that the world is evil, dont want to hear Italy the conspiracies, think that the politicians are doing the best they can, and think that God is just an imaginary friend that some people "turn to in hard times"... (The atheist explanation for Gods existent in our consciousness) Well congratulations, your an atheist!

If you are an atheist, just know this, Thrice great Hermes, believed not only in God but also in the 'Logos' Son of God. He also says in the corpus Hermeticum that "Mans greatest evil, is the not knowing of God"!

So wake up from your collective stupidity and join a better cult. The standardized version sucks.

zoas23
12-22-2016, 07:05 AM
Well what about the social contract, which in a sense includes your allegiance to taxation, beliefs, morals, ethics and traditions of whatever society you are in (even the language/code). It is just a macrocosm of a microcosm of the "cult/sect". If you think about it from the outside looking in I think it has some striking similarities.

You wouldn't need a dictionary definition if you had ever been involved with a cult.
I've had that experience for 3 months (as I've said, I wanted to learn Yoga and mostly thinking about it as a "gym"... and I got involved with a sect that disguises itself as a school of Yoga -i.e, I do NOT think that Yoga Schools are "cults"... though a lot of cults use a facade as to pretend to be something else and you can't really see the "signs" until you are in).
Other than that, I do not describe myself as a "victim" or "cult survivor", mostly because when I saw the cultist practices I said "bye bye".

BUT... I'd say that if you have experienced how a cult actually works, then it is certainly not a minor mirror of our societies, but something completely different.
You can INTENTIONALLY do what I accidentally did, which is joining a cult for 3 months... if you don't bite the bait, then it is harmless (it is even a bit humorous)... and you'll find out that your theory is not accurate.

Such thing doesn't mean that our societies are not a disaster... BUT they don't have much in common with a cult.

Awani
12-22-2016, 08:00 PM
What you say a cult is, is what society is. We are all brainwashed. Difference is that a cult is a more extreme version, whereas society does the same things in a sneaky way without any plan. The plan has naturally evolved.

I also have cult experience like you. ;)

zoas23
12-22-2016, 10:12 PM
What you say a cult is, is what society is. We are all brainwashed. Difference is that a cult is a more extreme version, whereas society does the same things in a sneaky way without any plan. The plan has naturally evolved.

I also have cult experience like you. ;) :cool:

Then you know that our societies are quite "dialectic"... Cults are the least "dialectic" thing possible.

Awani
12-23-2016, 04:04 AM
Then you know that our societies are quite "dialectic"...

That is the propaganda. The social contract and generally the society at large - at its core - is only as diverse as the "Cult Leaders" allow.