PDA

View Full Version : Insanity vs Sanity

Kiorionis
12-29-2016, 03:56 AM
Statement: "Mental" problems = you/me/he/she/it/they need to deal with their shit.

Discussion:

Awani
12-31-2016, 01:15 PM
Statement: "Mental" problems = you/me/he/she/it/they need to deal with their shit.

Discussion:

Please expand.

:cool:

Kiorionis
12-31-2016, 07:25 PM
Hmm, that mental problems are only perceived because there is un-assimilated/undigested information.

Andro
12-31-2016, 08:02 PM
Hmm, that mental problems are only perceived because there is un-assimilated/undigested information.

And/or for having brain wiring or brain chemistry outside of what is generally considered/accepted as 'normally' functioning parameters.

Just as an example, not too long ago, same gender attraction was regarded as a 'mental illness', one that needed to be 'cured'.

My point: Not every alternative form of sanity is INsanity. Not every different/alternative way of processing reality necessarily implies UN-assimilated/undigested information.

Sometimes it may be just differently assimilated/digested.

Unless you mean that the 'problem' with perceiving something as 'mental illness' lies with those who perceive it as such, because those who write the textbooks are the ones who have UN-assimilated/undigested information :)

Kiorionis
12-31-2016, 08:20 PM
Sometimes it may be just differently assimilated/digested.

Which, for me, begs the question of how many ways are there to assimilate and digest the information? I suppose it depends on what kind of "lens" you're using?

I'm also sure there are better ways and worse ways. Or at least, more accurate ways of viewing.

Unless you mean that the 'problem' with perceiving something as 'mental illness' lies with those who perceive it as such, because those who write the textbooks are the ones who have UN-assimilated/undigested information :)

I think most "mental problems" are actually projections from people who think they're 'sane' onto others they think are not. All this seems to be on account of Ego-Consciousness.

Awani
01-01-2017, 12:17 AM
I think most "mental problems" are actually projections from people who think they're 'sane' onto others they think are not.

It seems to me that a great deal of people in society are diagnosed with various mental illnesses, adhd, add, aspbergers, depression etc etc... but none of these things are real. People are different, and the people who differ from the majority are sick.

It's like the simple example of a very active child that is given sedative pills. Why? It's a child, and it is supposed to be active... and by the way how much sugar is it being fed?

:cool:

Ghislain
01-01-2017, 07:32 AM
The official kilogram is held in a vault somewhere near Paris. Perhaps there is a measure of sanity stored somewhere like this :)

If not perhaps there should be as I would love to know if I am sane ;)

Ghislain

zoas23
01-01-2017, 10:09 AM
LOL... Some ideas I have:

1) We ALL have mental problems.
2) In most cases these mental problems are quite stupid (a personal example: for some reason I do not like it at all to talk to large audiences, I mean some 150, 300 persons... I sweat, tremble, get nervous... I get shy).
3) There IS a difference between "mental problems" and "insanity".
4) Yes, as Andro said, SOME definitions of insanity are very related to cultural paradigms (the original "eccentrics" were those who considered that the Earth was spinning around the sun... of course, everyone thought they were crazy).
5) ... and YET "insanity" exists... and it's not the same than having "mental problems".
6) The psychiatric industry is VERY strong and is ALWAYS pushing to prescribe drugs to "cure" things which are quite normal... they also create "fashions"... i.e, if you remember the 90's, then you will remember how suddenly the idea that "panic attacks" were very usual got very fashionable. No need to say that such thing was created by the psychiatric industry as to promote certain prescribed drugs.
7) I was going to spend the New Year with my girlfriend who works at a hospital... but she asked me not to go there because she was too busy calming down a patient who is convinced that she's married to her own shoes and says that her shoes are her husband and communicates with them by a strange "tap dancing". Her "husband" (her shoes) tell her that everyone wants to kill her by poisoning her food, so she can't eat. Other than that, she believes that she has a rat inside her skull and the rat threatens her to eat her brain unless she feeds the rat... and the way to feed the rat is eating. So she has a conflict between her shoes (her "husband") who doesn't want her to eat ANYTHING telling her that she will die... and the imaginary rat that lives in her brain and will eat her brain (causing her death too) unless she eats. So the two options, eating and not eating lead to death. I could not celebrate the New Year with her, but I got a very nice phone call: my GF managed to convince this lady to talk to her "husband" and asked her "husband" if there was any way to reduce the amount of poison and maybe kill the rat. The "husband" of this lady said that washing the food would reduce the poison and may kill the rat, but not herself. The nice phone call was very simple: "we killed the rat with poisoned food and we found a way to detox the food!". Fantastic. I felt very proud of her. Her patient is still "insane", but now she can eat.
8) Insanity exists.
9) My closest friend, whom I like a lot, is psychotic with paranoid tendencies... He always has a very rational logic to explain his paranoid ideas. He's amazing in that sense, he can convince almost anyone of the most crazy ideas due to his very rational patterns. He is unable to know by himself if an idea is "crazy" or not... but we know and trust each other a lot, so I know very well his ways and I became his "reference". So each time he suspects that an idea CAN be a hallucinations, he phones me and we discuss the idea. I am NOT a psychologist, but I've learnt how to destroy his rational explanations by a "reductio ad absurdum". He is a fantastic person, very creative, very smart, with an outstanding understanding of very complex ideas... but he has a HUGE problem with his psychotic paranoia (i.e, some months ago he had a theory about how all the posters with adverts on the street had "hidden messages" to explicitly mock him). We discussed the idea and we arrived to the conclusion that those posters costed a lot of money and the ones who designed them didn't know him that well as to be so "clever" and subtle. We ended up laughing and then we stole a poster from a bus station and he wrote with paint on it: "This is not about me" and framed it. and nailed it to one of the walls of his house. Marvelous.
10) Fuck the psychiatric industry!
11) But such thing does not mean that "insanity" does not exist... and there is a FANTASTIC method to help persons who are insane, it doesn't need any "drug"... it simply needs not underestimating the person and talking with him... and help the person to "transmute" the "crazy idea" into something less harmful or completely not harmful. You can't do that with prozac. valium, lithium, etc.

I know someone who is identical to Morrissey and who is probably the sanest person I know. So...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RId8Ikb8-z0

Kiorionis
01-03-2017, 02:46 AM
LOL... Some ideas I have:

1) We ALL have mental problems.

Haha I like this and agree.

My main interest, currently, is why one mental problem is 'worse' than another.

Kiorionis
01-03-2017, 03:35 AM
I've also found that the more 'sane' people think they are, the less they're willing to move outside they're ego.

zoas23
01-03-2017, 07:34 AM
Haha I like this and agree. My main interest, currently, is why one mental problem is 'worse' than another.

The key is not how bad a mental problem is, but how the person deals with it.
i.e, My closest friend is clearly psychotic and with very strong paranoid hallucinations (not visual hallucinations, but mental ones... he is an expert in inventing "conspiracy theories" in which the whole world has a specific problem with him). Other than that, he's very fun, very friendly, very creative, he's extremely clever and his life is normal. He has a serious mental problem, but he learnt how to deal with it (sometimes he has to ask me if an idea is a hallucination or not... which is very good, he learnt that he can doubt about that which appears to him as an obvious and unquestionable truth).

On the other hand, I knew a girl who was very much "normal" and her only conflict was that she perceived that she was "fat" and thus "undesirable" in a sexual way. The odd thing is that she was very thin and I didn't like her physically, but several of my friends were DESPERATE to have something with her. She jumped from her balcony and killed herself. She left a suicide note that mostly said: "I am no longer able to live in this fat and undesirable body, if I can't be thin, then I will never be happy" (as I've said, she was thin, very thin actually).

So... maybe the "key" is how each person deals with his mental problems rather than which mental problem is worst.
(If I use a normal logic, I'd say that having psychotic paranoid hallucinations is "worst" than believing that you are chubby when you aren't... and yet my "psychotic friend" is a happy person and my "I am fat" friend killed herself... so which problem was "worst"? ).

I mean, if you are happy, creative, enjoying life, doing something interesting with your life... then you are probably on YOUR right track.
IF you have a minor, very small "mental problem" but this small "mental problem" completely destroys your life, then you have a BIG problem... even if the problem itself is "stupid".

(you know, a flu can kill you... whilst a lot of persons survive a cancer... so is it ALWAYS the flu "better" than the cancer? ).

I've also found that the more 'sane' people think they are, the less they're willing to move outside they're ego.

Those who are considered "sane" will have in most cases a neurotic mental structure... the ONLY way that a neurotic has to move outside of his ego is to "emulate" a psychotic experience (maybe "emulate" is not the right word).