PDA

View Full Version : Old work

Clayrn Darrow
02-09-2009, 06:02 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Cfi06p1qS-A/SXIAebumIrI/AAAAAAAAAcY/jIt2qqT9QTM/s640/Infantnurtured%28mod%29.png
This is an image I have created during a very long summer. My inspiration comes from the Book of Lambspring in a text called the Hermetic Museum---I've been looking for a copy of that text for a year now--no luck.

Here's another..
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Cfi06p1qS-A/SZBwnSvsvcI/AAAAAAAAAyo/bgIrAlwVMCg/s640/The%20Enduring%20Axis.jpg
"The Enduring and Cardinal Axes"
This image is actually from one of my great grandfather's journals--Well, it is based off of one of his images. I've redone it. He used to travel out to a beach on long island and stare out at the ocean for hours--He had claimed that he saw things that others lacked the will to see. This diagram in particular, is a testimony to that will. If you get to know me, you'll find that I'm far from what you would call an Alchemist--I am not that disciplined. I am just an amateur botanist. Ah, well..cheers!

Give it another look, but from a different perspective...
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Cfi06p1qS-A/SWppbTcSK4I/AAAAAAAAAak/I0EB53VwEuU/s640/Another%20View.jpg

Ever Yours,
Clayrn Darrow
M.IV

Awani
02-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Very nice image, I like your style!

Welcome by the way!

:cool:

WCH
02-09-2009, 08:20 PM
The Hermetic Museum is available online, in simple text on Sacred Texts and with images and whatnot on Google Books. Or do you need it in Latin?

I had the pleasure of reading a physical copy of it at the Thomas Fischer Rare Books Library at the University of Toronto. I guess that's not convenient from Florida though, eh?

Clayrn Darrow
02-09-2009, 10:41 PM
The Hermetic Museum is available online, in simple text on Sacred Texts and with images and whatnot on Google Books. Or do you need it in Latin?

I had the pleasure of reading a physical copy of it at the Thomas Fischer Rare Books Library at the University of Toronto. I guess that's not convenient from Florida though, eh?

Heh, I would like to have some of the tracts in the original German and Latin--but lucky you! A real physical text ...I have come across the Book of Lampsbring in an unusual form---like a pamphlet--here in Orlando, the University of Central Florida has the text in their archives--but those damned pedants are so cautious with it...leave knowledge in the hands of those with purpose...alacrity..I hate to see it spoil for the benefit of the curious "spectator".

WCH
02-09-2009, 10:59 PM
The way it's treated here I'm afraid is much the same way, of course... I just happen to be in a privileged position as a student of a prodigious university. In order to view the Hermetic Museum I had to come a day in advance, fill out a form to request it...

The University of Toronto's Robarts Library is shaped like a giant concrete peacock; the Thomas Fischer Rare Books Library is separate from the main structure, in the neck of the bird (no symbolism there at all... haha). It's one of the most sacred places I've ever been... there's a sense of awe about it, and you must pass through more than one staging area to get into it. There are many rules... you can't bring any pens in, for instance. Ancient and exquisite books line the shelves, many separated from you by glass, and the whole place has a sense of a shrine to knowledge. The Hermetic Museum comes in two volumes and the copy they have is over 100 years old... I think it's the earliest English printing but I'm not positive. One of the two volumes is on the verge of falling apart, and needs to be handled very delicately, adding even more to the sense of mystery and wonder in this place.

In a way, the difficulty of accessing the book enhanced its appeal to me. When I later found out that it's on Google Books, I was a little disappointed... but it's nice to have the option of either making the appointment and reading it in person, or scanning the online version for reference.

Clayrn Darrow
02-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Ah! Sterling point..there is something sincere about a physical text when compared to an electronic edition. Giant peacock? no symbolism? ha. What a riot.

WCH
02-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Well the whole library is a giant peacock... and the Hermetic Museum happens to be located in the throat. I'm not sure what's in the head, probably more rare books... never been up there.

Salazius
02-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Yes it's nice and you really have particular a style !

Clayrn Darrow
02-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Thank you very much Salazius! I like to use graphite on these works.

Awani
02-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Reminds me of some of the graphics in the film MirrorMask (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MirrorMask), if you have seen that!

:cool:

Salazius
02-10-2009, 01:39 PM
I also use graphite in my Great Art ... crucibles !

Clayrn Darrow
02-11-2009, 02:10 AM
No, never seen it before; It looks very interesting though!