PDA

View Full Version : How many experiments at one time

Aham
01-15-2017, 06:06 PM
I was wondering how many experiments you guys are performing/monitoring on an ongoing basis. I've created a poll to get a sense of what that looks like in general.

JDP
01-15-2017, 07:56 PM
I was wondering how many experiments you guys are performing/monitoring on an ongoing basis. I've created a poll to get a sense of what that looks like in general.

Since alchemy & transmutational "chymistry" both totally rely on trial & error to uncover their facts and separate them from all the fantasies, myths, deliberate lies, erroneous claims, etc. with which both fields have been heavily contaminated by their very own practitioners as well as by clueless "critics" and enthusiasts of these subjects, it is a good idea to conduct several experiments at the same time if one has the space to do so. Time is more precious than money, so by carrying simultaneous tests you will be saving on this precious "commodity". Unfortunately, currently I do not have the necessary space to be able to do this. The only time I can conduct more than one experiment/test at a time is when one or more of the experiments/tests does not require heating (and therefore more space & attention.) For example, some experiments take place by leaving some substances in contact with each other, sometimes under varying conditions (like with or without exposure to sunlight, for example), without any external heating over extended periods of time. While this goes on, which barely requires any attention by the operator, you can then carry another experiment/test that requires heating & more attention.

Salazius
01-16-2017, 11:34 AM
When the Alchemist is linked to his experiments he will find difficult to conduct several of them in the same time, as he will be drawn out of psychic energy. One is far enough when you know how to do your stuff.

More is difficult to bear. Both mentally (because you are devided) and as I said energetically.

Andro
01-16-2017, 12:09 PM
For me: One at the time, with several variations.

Exceptions: Long-time stuff which does not require personal/hands-on attendance.

Axismundi000
01-16-2017, 12:42 PM
I think Andro makes an interesting observation.

A lot of things need to incubate or ferment etc. So I can have say Kerkrings menstruum maturing, wine brewing, vinegar souring, acetate forming, plant stone being periodically imbibed etc. These days I probably only distil 4-5 times a month on average. Perhaps the focus is a primary activity rather than individual projects. From such a perspective my primary activities are present is incubating and fermenting. 2015 it was fermenting and distilling, 2016 the same.

Aham
01-16-2017, 02:17 PM
The comments make a lot of sense to me:

When you are on the journey, you might want to uncover various path so that you can narrow down the options.

When you know what to do, my guess is that your energies are generally tied to a handful of practices but in my mind, they are no longer experiments. :)

JDP
01-16-2017, 07:10 PM
The comments make a lot of sense to me:

When you are on the journey, you might want to uncover various path so that you can narrow down the options.

When you know what to do, my guess is that your energies are generally tied to a handful of practices but in my mind, they are no longer experiments. :)

Correct. If you actually know that what you are doing will succeed, it means it has already been tested and proven true, therefore it does not qualify as the subject matter of the thread. You no longer need to test it, you know it works. What we are talking about here is experiments/tests with the objective of finding out if any given claim/theory is indeed correct or a bunch of hooey that leads nowhere and needs to be discarded as a dead-end.

zoas23
01-16-2017, 10:21 PM
IDENTICAL to Andro and Salazius... only ONE per time for me... with the same exception that Andro said: if an experiment involves a long process in which you have to do "nothing", then it is OK to do something else as you are waiting. BUT I like to get focused in ONE thing only at each moment.

HOWEVER, I recently began to work as a "team" with another person who lives in my city and his ways are VERY different... He is used to work with some 3 to 5 experiments "all at once" and it is an interesting experience for me (both working as a "team" and working with SEVERAL experiments). Those are his ways and I got adapted to them. We managed to create a good team because it's like a comedy duo (I have a theory, every relationship has a "comedy" side, a "funny" side). It is really like someone who has an "ADHD" mentality with someone who has a "TOC" mentality, but it makes a good combo. He is a fountain of ideas, by far better than me in that sense... whilst my obsessive side makes me get focused in the ones that I find more interesting and try to see how to improve them.

I like the idea of working as a team and two different personalities can make an interesting "combo". Though I think that getting focused in ONE thing (one experiment) is important.

Kiorionis
01-17-2017, 12:55 AM
I mostly have 2 or 3. One that is actually happening in physical reality, and 1 or 2 thought experiments that end either being partially manifested, or dissolved back into the ether...

Hahaha :cool:

Aham
01-17-2017, 03:03 AM
zoas23, sounds like your skill-sets complement each other. One with ideas and the other with the discipline to see them through. In this endeavor, two heads/resources are definitely better than one :)

zoas23
01-17-2017, 08:04 AM
zoas23, sounds like your skill-sets complement each other. One with ideas and the other with the discipline to see them through. In this endeavor, two heads/resources are definitely better than one :)

It's not exactly like that, but it reminds me of what William Burroughs and Brion Gysin called the Third Mind ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Third_Mind )... or an artificial consciousness that is more clever than the two separate consciousness. It sounds as something "mystical", but it's actually something practical and empirical. Of course, you can create a "third mind" with different persons (actually, all TRUE friendships are based on such thing)

It is something weird that involves friendship and somehow "knowing" what the other will say or do. The creation of a "jargon" that is somehow comic when it comes to giving names to the methods... and conversations on the phone that sound absolutely bizarre, except that we know what we are talking about.
-The Mayonnaise has failed, I think the mayonnaise leads nowhere.
-I'm watching a movie with my girlfriend, but I'll check my mayonnaise later and I'll tell you.
-Is the gold eater still producing water?
-No, the same water that it produced is there, but there isn't more. Maybe it's time to try our idea of the pizza.
-O.K... Keep two parts of the pizza for me, I have an idea.
-Fine, but I'm putting one portion it in the oven and I'll save another one for the torches.
-Yeah.

So suddenly there's a path called mayonnaise, another is pizza, etc... but the "Third Mind" works. If you don't laugh a bit, then something is not working.
Then again, I am always in great debt with a clever person who taught me to think and see... a different third mind with a different logic.

I have learnt that the BIG mysteries that lead somewhere are:
Patience. Not getting frustrated. Having at least one person with whom it is possible to talk openly and discuss the ideas without "metaphors". Reading again the books that are inspiring. Testing at the lab... and testing again with minor variations if something is leading somewhere (i.e, ALWAYS asking yourself: "How can I go further?" or "How can I improve it?"). Having fun. Being obsessive without getting obsessed. Being stubborn without being stubborn. Playing safe. Asking qualified persons when you are going to do something that you don't know if it involves a risk. Not getting married to alchemy (alchemy is a practice, maybe a way of life, but it's NOT a couple or a partner). Understanding that the charlatans are many and the ones who can give you a really good advice are only a few. Being kind (with the persons, with the equipment, with everything). Understanding the basic principles. Doing your best to understand the most complex principles. Discussing the ideas with 1, 2 or 3 persons who know something is better than discussing the ideas with 50 persons. Avoiding those who are racist or homophobic (this is important and one of the big keys that let you know that someone is full of shit and will only offer you shit). Doing something creative that is completely unrelated to alchemy (I have an extended vision of what "being creative" means, it even involves reading a book or watching a movie in an "active" way, which means thinking). Not getting involved into the politics of Alchemy (they are bullshit and you only get bullshit from them). Being honest with those who are honest. Having friends who have ZERO interest in alchemy.Being loyal to those who are loyal to you. If a GOOD friend has a problem and you can help him, but your plan for the day involved a BIG alchemical experiment that you are going to lose if you don't go on, then the priority is helping your good friend; you can do the experiment again in the future. Avoiding the "recipe hunters" who want to establish a "quid pro quo" relationship... and the most important one: ENJOYING each thing at the lab as a "miracle", which means seeing the BEAUTY of it, even if you are simply distillating rain water for something, doing it with care, love, a sense of beauty... and never in a "mechanical" way (as if it was a poem or a painting or a sonata that you are composing... if you don't LOVE what you do, it has no worth, even if it produces 1,000,000 kilos of 24K gold). Avoiding desperation. Going back to the same texts several times as to get each time more layers of their meaning... and remembering the word "ART".

Andro
01-17-2017, 08:25 AM
These should be printed out and displayed on the wall of every lab.

Or living room.

Or loving room :)

Perhaps together with THIS (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?2501-How-to-...-get-into-the-Weird-Wild-Wise-Wide-Sacred-Science-of-Alchemy&p=17420#post17420)...

Patience.

Not getting frustrated.

Having at least one person with whom it is possible to talk openly and discuss the ideas without "metaphors".

Reading again the books that are inspiring.

Testing at the lab... and testing again with minor variations if something is leading somewhere (i.e, ALWAYS asking yourself: "How can I go further?" or "How can I improve it?").

Having fun.

Being obsessive without getting obsessed.

Being stubborn without being stubborn.

Playing safe.

Asking qualified persons when you are going to do something that you don't know if it involves a risk.

Not getting married to alchemy (alchemy is a practice, maybe a way of life, but it's NOT a couple or a partner).

Understanding that the charlatans are many and the ones who can give you a really good advice are only a few.

Being kind (with the persons, with the equipment, with everything).

Understanding the basic principles.

Doing your best to understand the most complex principles.

Discussing the ideas with 1, 2 or 3 persons who know something is better than discussing the ideas with 50 persons.

Avoiding those who are racist or homophobic (this is important and one of the big keys that let you know that someone is full of shit and will only offer you shit).

Doing something creative that is completely unrelated to alchemy (I have an extended vision of what "being creative" means, it even involves reading a book or watching a movie in an "active" way, which means thinking).

Not getting involved into the politics of Alchemy (they are bullshit and you only get bullshit from them).

Being honest with those who are honest.

Having friends who have ZERO interest in alchemy. Being loyal to those who are loyal to you.

If a GOOD friend has a problem and you can help him, but your plan for the day involved a BIG alchemical experiment that you are going to lose if you don't go on, then the priority is helping your good friend; you can do the experiment again in the future.

Avoiding the "recipe hunters" who want to establish a "quid pro quo" relationship...

And the most important one: ENJOYING each thing at the lab as a "miracle", which means seeing the BEAUTY of it, even if you are simply distillating rain water for something, doing it with care, love, a sense of beauty... and never in a "mechanical" way (as if it was a poem or a painting or a sonata that you are composing... if you don't LOVE what you do, it has no worth, even if it produces 1,000,000 kilos of 24K gold).

Avoiding desperation.

Going back to the same texts several times as to get each time more layers of their meaning...

...and remembering the word "ART".

Aham
01-18-2017, 02:20 AM
zoas23, that sounds like an amazingly good time. There's no substitute to having a good friend to share in a journey (doesn't matter what kind of journey).

Now I fully understand what the old alchemists were doing... using made up symbols/allegories for their experiments only they and their friends could understand. LOL

You and your friend should write a book using pizza, hamburger, beer, coke, mayo, cheese, etc., as ingredients to manifest the stone. In the year 4017, alchemists will be trying to decode your symbols into the philosophical mercury, salt and sulphur :D

Aham
01-18-2017, 02:28 AM
Andro, couldn't agree more. Both salazius and zoas23 are impeccable in their advice. I am seriously considering printing them out and hanging the prints in my lab.

elixirmixer
01-18-2017, 08:29 AM
I've always got heaps on the go, I live a pretty wild, and yet rewarding lifestyle. There is plenty of meaning in everything that has been said on this thread, however, there is "opposition in all things" - Book of Mormon, and I do sometimes, enjoy, at least on the keyboard, advocating that oppostition...

Is it not possible that all of this 'one experiment at a time' is really just a scape goat, for those who are easily overcome by the deep waters of philosophy? Could not this type of thinking slow down the progress of one seeking to reach the highest potential?

Right now I have,

a) about to filter, distill, and ferment rain and dew together
b) Indium ingot soaking in acetic acid.
c) Tin ingot " " "
d) Just completed maturing Reshi Mushroom Elixir (Makes you feel really really happy, but very very dehydrating)
e) Jasmine Perfume for my wifes birthday (currently on its third day/third batch of jasmine flowers)
f) Astral projection training (Franz Bardon)

as well of course as having children and renovating/moving into the house, and have to go back to work pretty soon...

And I dont even have the lab set up atm...

There is a lot of 'You should behave like this.... and ...thinking like this is better... stuff going on around this forum, but I think that the fact remains, that none of us have any real evidence to suggest they are correct unless a) can transmute b) seen God c) waits till judgement day.

Yes, having many things on the go (especially alchemy experiments) can be very mentally, emotionally, financially, physically draining... However, a wise old Australian man once said "Toughen up princess".

I am exhausted by the end of most days, some time to the point when I will fall to my knees, look up at the sky and cry, simply because I'm blown away by how much The Lord and I have achieved together, despite my weaknesses.

IMO, if your into a 'slow and steady' style mindset, then thats exactly the speed at which you will progress, because it is the speed at which you choose to tell yourself that you can handle. I often have people turn around and say ElixirMixer, you've got too much on your plate, you need to slow down, and then I watch as they seem to fade off into the distance, because they are not progressing, whilst I am sprinting to the end of the finish line with all that I have.

elixirmixer
01-19-2017, 07:08 AM
I should also add, that I have about 35 huge christmas beetles brewing in some HCL, and that I am about to possibly begin Quintessence of Lemon balm.

"Yo makin' me mad sucker, cold water never hurt nobody! It's time to get in da pool, 'cause you're goin' swimmin', fool! TAKE THAT, TOEDIPPER! Argh! Argh! I hate flying, so this had better be the last time I see yo cryin'! Snickers, get some nuts!" ~ Mr. T.

Schmuldvich
01-19-2017, 07:35 AM
Nice!

thoth
01-19-2017, 10:11 PM
d) Just completed maturing Reshi Mushroom Elixir (Makes you feel really really happy, but very very dehydrating)

Reishi, is on my "to do list" as well - lots of very powerful healing effects.
Did you grow them yourself, and could you give more details on your elixer ie duration of steeping, and the physical affetcs

elixirmixer
01-19-2017, 11:45 PM
Reishi, is on my "to do list" as well - lots of very powerful healing effects.
Did you grow them yourself, and could you give more details on your elixir ie duration of steeping, and the physical affects

I wouldn't say that I've done it in the proper way, because I don't know Fungi Spagyrics. I have just treated cut up dry mushroom in the typical plant spagyrics way, which is why I think I did not get a beautiful colour change and taste. While still seemingly quite medicinal, with just a hint of 'magic mushroom' feelings at high dose's, it is not a perfect recombination of the three principals. Fungi would have a more appropriate solvent medium (mercury) than wine spirit, of which I am unaware, if anybody is aware, I would love to know.

zoas23
01-20-2017, 08:54 AM
These should be printed out and displayed on the wall of every lab.

Or living room.

Or loving room :)

Perhaps together with THIS (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?2501-How-to-...-get-into-the-Weird-Wild-Wise-Wide-Sacred-Science-of-Alchemy&p=17420#post17420)...

Wow! I can only take this as a compliment.
I didn't know the text by Salazius, but suggesting to print his ideas and my ideas together is mind blowing for me.
Salazius is one of the alchemists I do admire the most, because of three reasons: his concise ideas; his photos, which transcend the idea of simply showing and alchemical process, but they become "art"... and finally his creation of "magical objects" with an unique creative style, and I believe that it's not his INTENTION, but I see in them works of art which will have a "museum value" in the future (I would say that for an art collector who makes investments, it would be a brilliant long-term investment to purchase his objects... they will be understood as pure art in the future, I take such thing for granted... and I love seeing how he subconsciously or consciously is becoming a true Artist with a capital A).

And you making the suggestion, I have to confess that your posts make me admire you too.

Admiration: a feeling I love (my "second home" is museums... and it's a beautiful feeling to be face to face with a work that you admire).

I had yesterday a MARVELOUS experience. I am testing a very specific experiment and I talked to someone who is doing exactly the same thing, but in an absolute different way (the same principles, the same substance, the same method, but an absolutely different way of doing it... which made me relativize the phrase "there is not then any need of more things than one, neither doth it require great expenses, because it is one stone, one medicine, one vessel, one regimen, and one disposition"... and whilst I can't claim to have ALL the secrets, I would say that my current idea is that one of thoses "ones" can be completely cancelled and the phrase can finish with "and many dispositions, because it's art and the point is not to copy-paste a method"... or at least that's my idea in this part of the journey where I am right now).

thoth
01-20-2017, 06:53 PM
I wouldn't say that I've done it in the proper way, because I don't know Fungi Spagyrics. I have just treated cut up dry mushroom in the typical plant spagyrics way, which is why I think I did not get a beautiful colour change and taste. While still seemingly quite medicinal, with just a hint of 'magic mushroom' feelings at high dose's, it is not a perfect recombination of the three principals. Fungi would have a more appropriate solvent medium (mercury) than wine spirit, of which I am unaware, if anybody is aware, I would love to know.

A good step might be to dry them before doing an extraction, so you can then grind them into a powder and so you don't get the same kind of sludge

Many of the Japanese patents simply do a water extraction of the reishi, and then evaporate to get the medicinal compound. Paul Stamets has some great info on all the other medicinal mushrooms

For compounds that would only be alcohol soluble, concentrated wine spirit should work.