PDA

View Full Version : What is the present of the present?

Awani
01-23-2017, 09:01 PM
I was driving in the darkness of the night today and listening to this "teacher" speaking about staying in the moment, in the present.So while listening to this I began to do that. I stayed in the present of listening to this teacher... I totally forgot I was driving.

So then I though should I have not been listening and focused on driving, is that the present?

One answer could be I should have listened and focused on driving at the same time... but this is not what I mean. This driving/listening is just an example that generated this line of thinking.

There are moments when two equally intense things happen at the same time, so do you have to choose this which present to stay in - or try to remain in both at all costs and despite the chaos that would imply?

:cool:

Schmuldvich
01-24-2017, 05:59 AM
Neat topic to ponder!

To me, being or living "in the moment" is simply that. In that exact moment. Most of us know time is not real and only used as a means to perceive. I just thought of this, and while I'm not sure I will agree with this statement in the future, time itself is THE "Door of Perception"...without it there would be no ability to compare things (i.e. this second from the second before it, and all the countless things that happened in those few milliseconds). The present is an exact snapshot of time. It is "the all" of the moment, imo.

Andro
01-24-2017, 08:04 AM
So then I though should I have not been listening and focused on driving, is that the present?

Closer to 'Second Attention', maybe...

We're always 'surfing' from one 'Present Pixel' to another. It's just that △t is much smaller than our senses can register, so the 'passage' is perceived as smooth/seamless...

Getting In-Between the pixels, now THAT would be something :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CpGGNQ0Irs

Ghislain
01-25-2017, 03:09 AM
Just like computers we can multitask. We can replicate being in many presents at the same time...you have to decide on how long is now ;)

Ghislain

Quarrox
01-25-2017, 04:21 PM
Perhaps the present is the sum of the past and the future and hence remains in balance, always in the exact middle of the "time scale"? Then this "scale" should not have a beginning nor an end, it would be infinite. I also do think that time does not exist in other planes than the physical plane.

Also, i don't see a reason to decide which of the multiple things happen at the same time has to be the ultimate present claimer. A trillion, or rather an infinite number of things do happen at the exact same moment, in our world, in the universe, in the multiverses etc. This is the present, no matter if we aware of it or not.

Awani
01-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Sure but I like to understand it practically. You can't stay in the present of a trillion things when driving a car. You got to focus on driving. So perhaps that is the simple answer, and I kind of knew this already as I have written on it before: if you are doing more than one thing at the same time you are doing one thing to many.

So if you eat don't think about anything but the fact you are eating. For example.

:cool: