PDA

View Full Version : The Alchemist vs The Thief

JDP
01-29-2017, 09:20 AM
Today I had a rather scary encounter: I was taking an afternoon nap (I was tired after working on some translations; yes about alchemy, what else!), and while I was semi-asleep I heard one of my cats running around the house and making guttural noises, like the ones he usually makes when someone he does not know is nearby the house (yes, some cats are very territorial and do that.) At first I thought it was probably just someone from the electrical company, or from the cable company, who sometimes come to fix things and then they leave (and since they do not need permission to enter your yard they just jump the fence and go in, the government allows them to do so; I am used to sometimes finding company workers in the backyard), but after I heard some banging noises on some of the windows I fully woke up and went to see what was going on. As I was heading to the glass doors that give access to the backyard, there he was, a dude about 20 years or so old, dressed in rather shabby clothes. He stood there for about 2 seconds after we saw each other through the glass doors, and when I went to open the doors to ask him who he was and what was he doing, the guy started running like hell! This immediately sent the signal that this guy was no company worker on "official" business, but obviously a thief. I went out to see what was going on and I found that he had broken into the backyard through a section of the wooden fence that he had "pushed" open. It seems that he got into the neighbor's house, who wasn't home at the time, and then, thinking that there was nobody at the house next door he decided to break in as well to inspect the place. Needless to say, I called the neighbor and the police. But the thief was nowhere to be found by the time they got there.

Since I keep a lot of my lab stuff, like kilns, furnaces, crucibles, pots, iron tripods, bottles, test tubes, beakers, etc. around the yard the thief certainly must have seen them while he was checking out the place. I wonder what went through his mind: "What the hell are they doing in this house? Does Dr. Frankenstein live here???" :D

Or maybe my success in reproducing some "particulars" has been spreading like wildfire and this bozo naively thought that my house must be full of silver and gold bars by now, that's why he decided to pay a clandestine "visit" ;)

Awani
01-29-2017, 03:34 PM
He probably thought you had a Meth lab and wanted to steal the drugs.

:cool: