PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar distillation

Axismundi000
02-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Distilling Vinegar below 90 centigrade. This is in accordance with Dubuis theory of vegetable life which Bartlett also recommends in his book the way of the crucible. The vinegar is twice frozen and drained out of the ice so at least 33% concentration hopefully higher I think the maximum you can get through freezing is about 56%. To have sufficient acetate the ratio is one pound of mineral to one gallon of fully concentrated vinegar so distilling to further concentrate is useful. Concentrated acetic acid can blind and damage lungs I note so I advocate care.

The modern approach of a vigreaux column and vacuum pump is complex. I think medieval Alchemists used an alembic and perhaps would sweat the liquid so water would slowly drip out of the outlet the vinegar was left behind. Maybe the flask was put in a dung heap and the warmth would evaporate the water more so then the vinegar. The residue in the flask would hopefully be high concentration acetic acid. A modern hot plate or heating mantle would replace the dungheap I think. So if I actually get hold of an alembic I will try that (not the dungheap). Push-to-fit lab glass is obtainable on-line, even retorts but an alembic I cannot find so a more complex modern approach vacuum pump, water pump, is the only one currently available to me.

http://i66.tinypic.com/106lllg.jpg

In the above photo I had warmed the vinegar to 50 centigrade but the distillation train was not yet airtight. I slowly apply the vacuum so that bumping is reduced ( even with a vigreaux column). It didn't need full capacity of the vacuum pump to distil.

Schmuldvich
02-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Very cool! Super awesome lab setup you have. So spacious!

Did you learn anything noteworthy while performing this experiment? Are you able to use the distilled vinegar for anything in particular?

Axismundi000
02-12-2017, 05:58 PM
It will be used with a mineral to make a metal acetate. Concentrated acetic acid will react with a larger amount of the mineral so more can be made in the container.

black
02-13-2017, 10:16 AM
Hi Axis

Do you think this highly rectified vinegar of yours could be the
philosophical vinegar of the adepts?

Or do you think that maybe philosophical vinegar is something
completely different?

It has always been a bit of a stumbling block for me when they
use the term philosophical.

As in philosophical vinegar, philosophical wine, philosophical vinegar, etc, etc

Axismundi000
02-13-2017, 01:08 PM
The vinegar is philosophic in quality because it from home made wine which was then soured to vinegar, also it has been refined without exceeding 90 centigrade (ref: The late Jean Dubuis theory of vegetable life). I don't know if it is 'the Philosophical vinegar' probably not.

The philosophical wine is not from alcohol, some stuff about that suggests it is a product of dry distillation.

Michael Sternbach
02-13-2017, 01:25 PM
Push-to-fit lab glass is obtainable on-line, even retorts but an alembic I cannot find so a more complex modern approach vacuum pump, water pump, is the only one currently available to me.

Hi Axismundi,

Ta-da! Here's where you can order an alembic:

https://www.neubert-glas.de/laborglas/onlineshop/katalog.php?KATfrom=suche&SearchText=alembic&struc=1_995727484085_1030342896125_1288728014394&kat=1295695860316&

(Yes, they deliver worldwide.)

Axismundi000
02-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Many thanks for this, these will be very useful to me.

z0 K
02-13-2017, 09:52 PM
The vinegar is philosophic in quality because it from home made wine which was then soured to vinegar, also it has been refined without exceeding 90 centigrade (ref: The late Jean Dubuis theory of vegetable life). I don't know if it is 'the Philosophical vinegar' probably not.

The philosophical wine is not from alcohol, some stuff about that suggests it is a product of dry distillation.

Philosophical wine is produced during the dry distillation of plants. So is philosophic vinegar. A plant of popular choice by the adepts is the grape vine. They use the allegory of wine making to discuss the processes among themselves. Their wine is also their philosophic mercury. Their vinegar is a fraction of the wine working one way when they actually process grape wine. That way takes about 20 gallons of raw wine to get enough philosophical matter. If philosophical vinegar is what you are after start with about 10 pounds of grape vines.

elixirmixer
02-13-2017, 10:45 PM
I'm sorry, did you just say, the dry distillation of plants? You mean to tell me that basically they would just shove a whole plant in the flask and just go all the way with it?

z0 K
02-14-2017, 01:13 AM
The modern approach of a vigreaux column and vacuum pump is complex. I think medieval Alchemists used an alembic and perhaps would sweat the liquid so water would slowly drip out of the outlet the vinegar was left behind. Maybe the flask was put in a dung heap and the warmth would evaporate the water more so then the vinegar. The residue in the flask would hopefully be high concentration acetic acid. A modern hot plate or heating mantle would replace the dungheap I think. So if I actually get hold of an alembic I will try that (not the dungheap). Push-to-fit lab glass is obtainable on-line, even retorts but an alembic I cannot find so a more complex modern approach vacuum pump, water pump, is the only one currently available to me.

They also used horizontal distillation trains to sweat the water into the receiver. That is how to grow philosophical stones. A horizontal train is cheap and easy to set up. Get a 2 liter heating mantle used from Ebay.
Purchase a 2 liter flask from: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ES3P348/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Get a one gallon carboy (apple cider jug). Its mouth will fit inside the mouth of the 2L flask. Lute with vacuum grease and wrap joint with wet formed tissue paper. Heat to 125F. No vacuum is necessary.

Axismundi000
02-14-2017, 02:33 AM
I see three big advantages with your suggestion zO K. Firstly much lower equipment cost. Secondly less attention required to the distillation, I could go downstairs and play some Halo maybe. Thirdly I could be distilling something else with my modern push to fit equipment.

Appreciated.

Kiorionis
02-17-2017, 01:02 AM
Nice work so far.

However, my only criticism is that I've been able to consistently, through freeze-distillation, concentrate my acetic acid to around 80%

It takes about a week total.

I think the maximum you can get through freezing is about 56%.

Axismundi000
02-17-2017, 01:00 PM
That is very interesting could you please identify how you get above 56% which is the theoretical maximum quoted on-line. Do you just freeze it for ages in a good freezer?

Getting 80% concentration would reduce the amount of distillation required and be very useful.

JDP
02-17-2017, 01:52 PM
That is very interesting could you please identify how you get above 56% which is the theoretical maximum quoted on-line. Do you just freeze it for ages in a good freezer?

Getting 80% concentration would reduce the amount of distillation required and be very useful.

I don't think it is possible to reach such concentrations by freezing alone under normal atmospheric conditions:

https://books.google.com/books?id=axQwAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA210&dq=freezing+vinegar+concentrate&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOhoWBnpfSAhUKKyYKHSXQAk0Q6AEIIjAB#v=on epage&q=freezing%20vinegar%20concentrate&f=false

"The highest concentration attained in practice by freezing vinegar under atmospheric conditions is 26% of acetic acid." (page 210)

Another problem to consider is that even distilled vinegar nowadays is contaminated with solid additives (not sure why do manufacturers feel the need to do this, it's not like vinegar "spoils", there should be no need to add preservatives to it):

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?656-Fixation-of-Sea-Salt-towards-the-P-Stone&p=34721#post34721

Getting rid of these solid additives would help to dispense with the need to re-distill the distilled vinegar. Soluble lead salts (like lead acetate, for example), which readily combines with these additives and forms a white precipitate, are one possible solution. If you intend to use the vinegar for experiments involving lead, or where the presence of small amounts of lead salts are not a problem, then no further work is needed on the commercial distilled vinegar. You can simply concentrate it up to about 26% by freezing and then treat it with a solution of a soluble lead salt until no more precipitate forms and then filter the resulting vinegar.

But if you want to get rid of the remaining lead salt, I've been thinking that maybe it should be possible to do this by treating the lead-contaminated vinegar with hydrogen sulfide gas, until no more black lead sulfide precipitate forms. Then you filter the vinegar and get rid of whatever traces of hydrogen sulfide gas might remain dissolved in the vinegar by warming it for an hour or two. Needs to be tested. If it works, it would give you a more concentrated vinegar (about 26%, as opposed to the usual 5 to 9% concentration of commercial distilled vinegars) without any solid additives, and no re-distillation would be involved.

Axismundi000
02-17-2017, 02:22 PM
So the 'evidence' indicated max 26% which means it would be 4 gallons to one pound of mineral if the vinegar is not distilled. If there's is a freezing technique to achieve 80% I would love to know how because it would massively reduce my preparation work for making metal acetates.

Kiorionis
02-17-2017, 03:07 PM
My math may be terrible.

Store-bought distilled white vinegar is around 5% acetic acid. I usually start with 2 gallons (32 cups) which reduces down to about 3 cups. The distillate being around 10% of the original volume by freezing.

At this point my calculations are more guesswork than anything. I evaporate this down until a nice golden colour, but it never seems to reduce that much.

Axismundi000
02-17-2017, 03:26 PM
I misunderstood, yes freeze then evaporate, then maybe vacuum distil to get up near 100%, thanks for the practical info.

Axismundi000
02-20-2017, 10:05 AM
So I wonder if a simple glass retort would serve to sweat off the water from vinegar if say the nose was angled downwards I bit more than usual. I still fancy getting an alembic just thinking about simplicity, an alembic is flask and head air cooled, a retort is one piece of glassware air cooled. A retort doesn't have the vapours expanding and cooling but is that necassary for the purpose of removing water from vinegar.

Also most stuff about vinegar rectification usually talks about distilling it when in fact the liquid you want is left behind in the flask. Either there are conflicting methods or this idea of vegetable life is entirely discounted by some artists.

z0 K
02-20-2017, 04:49 PM
So I wonder if a simple glass retort would serve to sweat off the water from vinegar if say the nose was angled downwards I bit more than usual. I still fancy getting an alembic just thinking about simplicity, an alembic is flask and head air cooled, a retort is one piece of glassware air cooled. A retort doesn't have the vapours expanding and cooling but is that necassary for the purpose of removing water from vinegar.

Also most stuff about vinegar rectification usually talks about distilling it when in fact the liquid you want is left behind in the flask. Either there are conflicting methods or this idea of vegetable life is entirely discounted by some artists.

Retorts are inefficient for sweat distillation because the nose opening is narrow. The vapors get bottlenecked and the vapor pressure on the liquid surface in the retort remains high not conducive to sweating or evaporative distillation. You want wide openings between the reaction flask and the receiver. I recommend 55/50 joints for an alembic. The most efficient way to sweat distill is to use a horizontal train with the receiver at least twice the volume of the boiling flask. Pack the receiver in ice for the fastest sweat distillation.

The vinegar is left behind in the reaction flask during a sweat distillation of crude vinegar. Very few understand what is the vegetable life and fewer still have actually manipulated it. Spagyrics is not the same as alchemy in the labs.

Spagyrical operations typically burn away the vegetable life in volumes of smoke. Practioners think they have captured the plant sulfur when they isolate the essential oils, terpenoids, of the plant by steam distillation. They then compound the error in thinking by assuming the plant mercury is ethanol produced by fermentation. What they produce by those notions are apothecary medicines that can be quite therapeutic.

Alchemical operations free the vegetable life from the plant by using elemental fire. Unlike the spagyrists we capture that smoke and purify it. For in it we find the vegetable life freed of its former congestions accumulated in the natural life of the plant. Our philosophical vinegar is in that particle stream of smoke. We have many names for that smoke. Our philosophical wine is in that smoke. Our elemental water, air, and fire, are also in that smoke. Our mercury and sulfur are in that smoke. From this humble beginning of our fiery afterbirth from the burn we purify and concentrate then combine in thousands of ways producing living Quintessences, Stones, some like amber others like crystals. These do not have the same effect as the spagyric apothecary medicines.

From our smoke we can cultivate powerful menstrums that build upon the vegetable life we have freed and reshaped into our philosophical purposes. We can then infuse that life into inorganic matters and there are no limits.

Axismundi000
02-20-2017, 06:31 PM
The practical observation of a wide neck is very useful, thank you.

The capturing of various 'smokes' is certainly something I appreciate and intend to explore much more deeply. Personally I ascribe to the idea of vegetable life but even if I am wrong it makes no difference if I just gently evaporate to obtain concentrated vinegar, I still have the acetic acid either way. I have about 25 litres of home made wine souring to vinegar at present so I will have some evaporation to do in the near future. With a gallon of concentrated vinegar to a 1lb of mineral I have a lot more wine to make and sour to vinegar. I will do a trial run with a small amount whilst I am still primarily making vinegar to asses Lab set-up.

So any useful comments as I test out and post will be appreciated.

Schmuldvich
02-21-2017, 04:45 AM
Nice insight, z0 K! Thanks!

Alchemical operations free the vegetable life from the plant by using elemental fire. Unlike the spagyrists we capture that smoke and purify it. Our philosophical vinegar is in that particle stream of smoke. We have many names for that smoke. Our philosophical wine is in that smoke. Our elemental water, air, and fire, are also in that smoke. Our mercury and sulfur are in that smoke. From this humble beginning of our fiery afterbirth from the burn we purify and concentrate then combine in thousands of ways producing living Quintessences, Stones, some like amber others like crystals. These do not have the same effect as the spagyric apothecary medicines.

From our smoke we can cultivate powerful menstrums that build upon the vegetable life we have freed and reshaped into our philosophical purposes. We can then infuse that life into inorganic matters and there are no limits.

In your experience, what have you found to be the best way to use these Stones and Quintessences?

When infusing this Life into inorganic matters, which would you say are the most interesting matters to work with?

z0 K
02-21-2017, 04:25 PM
Nice insight, z0 K! Thanks!

In your experience, what have you found to be the best way to use these Stones and Quintessences?

When infusing this Life into inorganic matters, which would you say are the most interesting matters to work with?

The simple way to use an alchemical plant Quintessence or Stone is to liquefy a dose and drink it. I donít say dissolve it in water because the matter does not dissolve into the water. It melts (liquefies) in the water then takes it over becoming a vegetable menstrum. Then you drink it. A dose is around 100mg or less dropped into about one ounce of water.

That is the basic way then you wait to see what happens. Vision gets brighter, thought forms more concrete and mental multitasking becomes possible or is enhanced. One has more useful bio-energy available for several hours, no side effects:-) Other things happen subtly over time and use. You donít get sick anymore.

If you have opened your inner circulation then the effects are more profound. One can then separate the Spiritus Mundi from the Quintessence when the dose is swallowed and charge directly into the subtle body. That is incredibly euphoric, Kundalini rising on a philosophical breath. The Spirit thus transformed penetrates the internal organs on the exhalation causing controlled contractions of internal muscle groups and organs feeling similar to flexing muscles. The result is a kind of inner toning of the organs. The evolution is ongoing.

The first inorganic matter to infuse the vegetable life into is the properly calcined body of the plant. That will give you a Quintessence if the organic ligands are being used. That is my favorite. For this discussion organic matters include flavinoids, fatty acids, enzymes, proteins, nucleic acids and the like. Inorganic includes salts, metals and other elemental compounds.

elixirmixer
02-21-2017, 09:58 PM
I can not, and will not, every be able to describe how grateful I am for this thread, z0 K, you're a legend, and I will most certainly undertake this work unto its completion.

Philosophy; here we come!

Axismundi000
03-01-2017, 04:04 PM
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Non-Return-Valve-One-Way-Inline-6mm-8mm-10mm-12mm-Fuel-Air-Water-Pipe-Tube-Hose-/271951302124?var=&hash=item3f518f8dec:m:mwLrz3WQzj2xRhd8ZmdZPMw

So rather than use my vacuum pump I'm trying one of these attached via 3/8 tubing to the vacuum pump barb. Putting it in the bucket of water I use as coolant to see if it produces a partial pressure effect in my distillation train. I would still like to get an Alembic but for the time being if this works it is a cheaper option. My hope is that the heating will push out some of the air but 'non-return' so lower then atmospheric pressure in the distillation train, hopefully enough to distil water below 90 Centigrade. I am using the nylon valve not aluminium.

Axismundi000
03-02-2017, 05:45 PM
It does produce a partial pressure but not enough, I will try a few things and see what can be achieved.

Axismundi000
03-19-2017, 08:57 AM
So basically to vacuum distil vinegar without a pump this doesn't work although a slight partial pressure is achieved. Double freezing the vinegar gives theoretical maximum about 58% but with a freezer that goes to only -18 Centigrade more like 38%. This will have to do, I'm not sure where JDP gets his 20% only figure.

So if it is one gallon of 100% to one pound of mineral a 5 gallon bucket of double frozen vinegar will be sufficient for one pound of mineral.

The scale of this makes me wonder at the veracity of some people's claims who sell Alchemical products. The fact that the huge quantities are never identified ( to help justify price for example) indicates that perhaps they are not actually doing this.

JDP
03-19-2017, 11:00 AM
So basically to vacuum distil vinegar without a pump this doesn't work although a slight partial pressure is achieved. Double freezing the vinegar gives theoretical maximum about 58% but with a freezer that goes to only -18 Centigrade more like 38%. This will have to do, I'm not sure where JDP gets his 20% only figure.

So if it is one gallon of 100% to one pound of mineral a 5 gallon bucket of double frozen vinegar will be sufficient for one pound of mineral.

I gave the link and cited the source verbatim (and it is actually about 26%):

https://books.google.com/books?id=axQwAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA210&dq=%22The+highest+concentration+attained+in+practi ce+by+freezing+vinegar%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjH98vCs-LSAhVY62MKHdWECKYQ6AEIHjAA#v=onepage&q=%22The%20highest%20concentration%20attained%20in %20practice%20by%20freezing%20vinegar%22&f=false

"The highest concentration attained in practice by freezing vinegar under atmospheric conditions is 26% of acetic acid." (page 210)

If you don't have access to the publication in question ("Vinegar Bulletin") through Google Books, the relevant pages having to do with vinegar concentration can be downloaded here as well:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj0iO2ws-LSAhVQ8WMKHa99D4wQFgghMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sciencemadness.org%2Ftalk%2Ff iles.php%3Fpid%3D304897%26aid%3D26996&usg=AFQjCNGPQCR9uhp-HDTN5BsnS4uOJVnXWw

The scale of this makes me wonder at the veracity of some people's claims who sell Alchemical products. The fact that the huge quantities are never identified ( to help justify price for example) indicates that perhaps they are not actually doing this.

Rest assured that no one on the planet is selling "alchemical products". There's only a handful of those, all of them revolving around operations with a limited number of raw/basic substances (all related to the manufacture of the Stone/Elixir), and the few people who have discovered how to make these alchemical "tinctures" are obviously not selling them at any price.

Axismundi000
03-19-2017, 12:26 PM
I think assuming 20% is prudent and thank you for the source. A brief search online gives the following:

http://chemistry.stackexchange.com/questions/6208/how-can-i-separate-the-vinegar-from-a-5-white-vinegar-to-make-a-more-concentrat

Perhaps I will get a digital ph meter rather than relying on litmus paper. So if I get stronger than 20% but employ ratio 1lb to 5 gallons; if the vinegar is above 20% not all the acetic acid will be used with the carbonate/oxide mineral. It is best I suspect that there is an excess of acetic acid.

I think a slower reaction is best so I will not be changing it to para-acetic acid by using hydrogen peroxide.

Axismundi000
03-19-2017, 05:53 PM

Rest assured that no one on the planet is selling "alchemical products". There's only a handful of those, all of them revolving around operations with a limited number of raw/basic substances (all related to the manufacture of the Stone/Elixir), and the few people who have discovered how to make these alchemical "tinctures" are obviously not selling them at any price.

Whilst I like the sound of this I don't see how it can possibly be asserted either theoretically or empirically.

JDP
03-19-2017, 06:07 PM
Whilst I like the sound of this I don't see how it can possibly be asserted either theoretically or empirically.

Do you see anyone selling "tinctures" that transmute any metals into silver or gold? No? I thought so! Neither do I. There is your empirical answer. No one in the world is selling such a thing. If they did, chemistry would have stopped denying that such a thing can even exist to begin with. Plus this would also bring us back to the paradox and dilemma pointed out by Michael Maier in his "Examen Fucorum Pseudo-Chymicorum" regarding those who, in his own times, claimed to be selling such things:

"It goes against all reason that someone who really had mastered this great art, tested over and over again in experiments, would want to sell this knowledge to another for a piece of bread or a bit of gold.
It is an unmistakable sign of the pseudo-chymist that he wants to sell gold for gold, something uncertain as fact, and something priceless for very little. If he doesn't really possess it (i.e. the alchemical secret), then it is as if he had sold wind and empty words for money. If the latter is the case, then the scoundrel receives too much money for the wind, and the buyer is cheated. If the former is the case, then the seller is cheated."

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4867-SCAM-WARNING-Selling-The-Great-Work&p=44115#post44115

Axismundi000
03-19-2017, 10:02 PM
Whilst sadly there are people who do sell oils (elixir mixer bought some), these derived from work with metals, perhaps you are correct JDP.

Axismundi000
03-20-2017, 09:25 AM
So if we prudently estimate twice frozen vinegar is say 20% acetic acid concentration I make that about 90grams of powdered mineral carbonate/oxide to a 1 gallon (4.55litre) demijohn.

Using demijohns and putting them on a pet warming pad, giving them a shake daily sounds doable to me. It allows for a steady stream of production without going into some kind of expensive large scale production with vats of wine and vinegar filling the whole garage. Looking on Facebook homebrew pages there are plenty of people who do exactly that though with lots of expensive gear. I am brewing 15-20 demijohns of wine a month so a relatively small scale operation compared to what I have seen some homebrew enthusiasts produce.

JDP
09-04-2017, 09:15 PM
I don't think it is possible to reach such concentrations by freezing alone under normal atmospheric conditions:

https://books.google.com/books?id=axQwAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA210&dq=freezing+vinegar+concentrate&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOhoWBnpfSAhUKKyYKHSXQAk0Q6AEIIjAB#v=on epage&q=freezing%20vinegar%20concentrate&f=false

Another problem to consider is that even distilled vinegar nowadays is contaminated with solid additives (not sure why do manufacturers feel the need to do this, it's not like vinegar "spoils", there should be no need to add preservatives to it):

http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?656-Fixation-of-Sea-Salt-towards-the-P-Stone&p=34721#post34721

Getting rid of these solid additives would help to dispense with the need to re-distill the distilled vinegar. Soluble lead salts (like lead acetate, for example), which readily combines with these additives and forms a white precipitate, are one possible solution. If you intend to use the vinegar for experiments involving lead, or where the presence of small amounts of lead salts are not a problem, then no further work is needed on the commercial distilled vinegar. You can simply concentrate it up to about 26% by freezing and then treat it with a solution of a soluble lead salt until no more precipitate forms and then filter the resulting vinegar.

But if you want to get rid of the remaining lead salt, I've been thinking that maybe it should be possible to do this by treating the lead-contaminated vinegar with hydrogen sulfide gas, until no more black lead sulfide precipitate forms. Then you filter the vinegar and get rid of whatever traces of hydrogen sulfide gas might remain dissolved in the vinegar by warming it for an hour or two. Needs to be tested. If it works, it would give you a more concentrated vinegar (about 26%, as opposed to the usual 5 to 9% concentration of commercial distilled vinegars) without any solid additives, and no re-distillation would be involved.

The above method has now been tested. Seems to work very well. I tested a sample of the treated commercial distilled vinegar with sulfuric acid and not white precipitate formed, meaning that no lead was present after the excess of lead acetate was precipitated by the hydrogen sulfide gas. This method allows one to get rid of whatever is that bothersome crap they put in distilled vinegar (and who knows why, because, as already stated, distilled vinegar DOES NOT "SPOIL", there is no need to add anything to it!) without having to tediously distill it again.

Axismundi000
09-04-2017, 11:55 PM
Thanks for sharing your practical findings JDP. I look forward to hearing more about your work as time goes by.

Axismundi000
09-23-2017, 05:40 PM
Improvised Alembic using glass teapot, silicone rubber soft funnel and 2ltr erhlenmeyer flask.

http://i68.tinypic.com/2ylvhav.jpg

Hopefully the gradually narrowing outlet will encourage the acetic acid to reflux more than the water does and water will primarily come out of the spout. If it dribbles down the side of the flask as well the saucepan will catch it. The stains on the PVC tubing are mildew as this piece of tubing was previously used for coolant water flow to Liebig condenser. The water might not evaporate but I'd don't want to heat the vinegar above 90C so I can always try a smaller 1 litre flask maybe.

If this works I will be delighted because vacuum distilling requires more supervision.

elixirmixer
09-24-2017, 12:49 AM
Good effort Axis!

Axismundi000
09-24-2017, 07:34 PM
http://i66.tinypic.com/29d9ylx.jpg

It works kind of with no funnel so a larger outlet. I'm hoping that the vinegar mainly drops back down into the liquid and the water vapour escapes. We shall see, I can use PH papers and test with some eggshells because I have already tested the diluted vinegar in this way. It is slow but you can just let it run unlike with vacuum distillation which I find needs supervision especially of the cold trap.

Axismundi000
09-25-2017, 08:59 PM
It didn't really work I'm getting about 25% of the vinegar coming over with the water. Vacuum distilling saves virtually all the vinegar but it needs much more supervision. I have a new wacky plan for another try of sweating water out of vinegar which I will probably try tomorrow.

Edit: waiting for a part ordered. I know I could just see if I can get an alembic for this but it would be nice to find another solution because Alembic's are not commonly available. Also I have a fair bit of push to fit lab glass so I'm trying to stick with that because different pieces have several uses.