PDA

View Full Version : Chili Pepper

Awani
02-13-2017, 07:21 PM
Having just spent a few weeks in Thailand I must say that I adore the food. I have always loved spicy food and I have this memory that someone told me that chili/spicy increase your dreams. Not sure if that is true or not...

However I ate spicy food every day... and I tried to go hard... I wanted it to be so spicy that it would break me. One time it almost did...

And every night I had very strong vivid powerful dreams. One time the dream was so powerful that when I woke up I almost felt I had gone through an Ayahuasca ceremony. It was truly spectacular.

So I wonder if spicy food can induce strong dreams?

Anyone agree, or have any experiences with this?

:cool:

JDP
02-13-2017, 08:16 PM
Having just spent a few weeks in Thailand I must say that I adore the food. I have always loved spicy food and I have this memory that someone told me that chili/spicy increase your dreams. Not sure if that is true or not...

However I ate spicy food every day... and I tried to go hard... I wanted it to be so spicy that it would break me. One time it almost did...

And every night I had very strong vivid powerful dreams. One time the dream was so powerful that when I woke up I almost felt I had gone through an Ayahuasca ceremony. It was truly spectacular.

No, but Thai food is certainly awesome, one of the best cuisines in the world. Gotta love those stir fried noodles and noodle soups they make, also the shrimp or fish cakes with the dipping chili sauce, the red curry duck with pineapple chunks, the fried whole fishes topped with tamarind-based sauces, the sweet chili BBQ quails, the basil & chili squid, the deep fried or BBQed pig intestines with sweet & spicy dipping sauces, etc.

That reminds me, today for supper: Satay turkey with peanut dipping sauce and a side of stir fried vegetables. Indonesian dish, not Thai, but close enough. Plus this is an American take on it: Turkey instead of the traditional chicken or beef. YUM-YUM!

Quarrox
02-13-2017, 08:59 PM
I can fully understand your passion. I used to be a hardcore chili head and started with the Vicious Viper Sauce and got to the point when i brought my Mad Dog Chili extract (over 1 Million Scoville) with me when i visited restaurants. At one point my stomach felt like burning from inside, it was horrible. I thought about ulcers and liver damage so i quitted with all that sauces and extracts. I still appreciate a good hot chili powder from time to time.

I never noted any special dreams, but i was not in an aware state in general back in the days. Maybe you could use chilis in a ritualistic manner?

thoth
02-13-2017, 11:01 PM

I'd never heard of that before, but am planning on an Indian tomorrow, so might super-spice it, and note any dreams :cool:

Although I remember that episode in the simpsons when Homer had a big dose of chief wiggums XXX chili spice, and he had a vision in the desert with the Coyote spirit guide (you'd like that episode Dev)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Viaje_Misterioso_de_Nuestro_Jomer_(The_Mysterio us_Voyage_of_Homer)

Awani
02-14-2017, 06:25 AM
Although I remember that episode in the simpsons when Homer had a big dose of chief wiggums XXX chili spice, and he had a vision in the desert with the Coyote spirit guide.

Ah yes I remember that episode. Perhaps there is some truth to this then? But I mean really spicy food, not just some sprinkles of chili...

Ghislain
02-14-2017, 08:46 AM
"Endorphins are a class of neurotransmitters produced by the body and used internally as a pain killer.

This class of compounds are similar in their action to opiates, attaching to some of the same receptors in the brain.

They are a strong analgesic, and give a pervasive sense of happiness.

They are proteins, and due to their many different types and their complexity, I cannot list them here.

The release of endorphins lowers the blood pressure, a major indicator in heart disease, and has even been
implicated in the fight against cancer.

"Endorphins are best known to those who exercise a lot, and give rise to what is known as the 'runner's high'.
Their release is caused by all pain, including that caused by chillies. Thus a dose of hot chillies will cause the
release of these compounds, without any permanent harm.

Some people find the 'rush' from endorphins addictive, and may exercise excessively, have many tattoos or piercings,
or even deliberately cut themselves.

I think chillies are by far the safest, easiest, and tastiest way to get an endorphin response."

Source: (http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/chilli/endorphins.htm)

Ghislain

horticult
02-14-2017, 04:19 PM
disagree based on experiences

Ghislain
02-14-2017, 05:51 PM
What do you disagree with Horticult?

Ghislain