PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started With Tinctures

Aham
02-21-2017, 03:30 AM
Hey guys,

My lab is coming together nicely. I'm waiting on 1 or 2 additional pieces of equipment and then I think I'll be set with my lab for a while. However, as I was reading through some of the forum posts I noticed that some individuals have a strategy on where to start with the tinctures e.g., using astrology to determine the sequence of tinctures, the Qabala path, etc. See here (http://forum.alchemyforums.com/showthread.php?4971-Question-on-planetary-tincture-dosage-time-scale...) as an example. Also, there seem to be certain times of the day/week/month that are better than others to pick the leaves of the plant but even here there seems to be a variety of opinions.

I'm thinking start with something... anything... do one tincture, x number of times until the process is somewhat repeatable and then worry about the strategy. Hoping this gets my hands dirty and maybe I will start to better understand what the books are saying vs. staying in theory land.

What say you?

TIA

elixirmixer
02-21-2017, 04:34 AM
May I ask...

Are you beginning in the vegetable realm?

I always imagine that if I went back and started again, the practise I would have done would be to get efficient at charging Pot Ash crystals with Dew. This is said to be an important ingredient in later plant work.

Also refining your calcining skills is very important, since it is the salts themselves that do a lot of the cleaning

Finally, just put some good clear vinegar in a jar with some copper, because it looks really cool in your lab ;)

Aham
02-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Hi EM,

Are you beginning in the vegetable realm?

Yes starting in the vegetable realm. My lab is in the basement of the house so not quite ready for mineral work which presumably requires higher temperatures, probably a good ventilation system, etc. etc. or just doing some of the work outside

I always imagine that if I went back and started again, the practise I would have done would be to get efficient at charging Pot Ash crystals with Dew. This is said to be an important ingredient in later plant work.

How do you charge Pot Ash crystals with Dew? Being efficient I will ask you later after I've tried the work myself :)

Also refining your calcining skills is very important, since it is the salts themselves that do a lot of the cleaning

Agree. I guess this is why you suggested the desktop kiln in your other post about what type of equipment to buy so that the work becomes less manually intensive. Let me know if I'm off base.

Finally, just put some good clear vinegar in a jar with some copper, because it looks really cool in your lab ;)

I already put one cool gadget on my workstation but can't hurt to have another one :D Thanks for the hint. Will try that out as well

elixirmixer
02-21-2017, 10:18 PM
Metallic realm set-up: yes I would not advise setting this up in your basement. Lead becomes a close companion for a lot of works. Fumes also. There are ways to do things without such dangers. Have a chat with Axis. He uses a safer method than I do.

Pot Ash charge up: take a large flat glass dish, preferably with a lip. Take a second dish, slightly smaller and invert it (flip it over) on top of the other dish, take then a third dish, smaller again, and place it inside the second dish. So what you will end up in is (wheel within a wheel) dish within a dish within a dish. But the style if the second dish is important so as to allow air in.

Pot your potash in dish three, wrap the whole lot in cheesecloth to keep nasties out, and then Solve et Coagula. Keep allowin your potash to collect moisture from the air, and then put it out in the sun to dry. Repeat this process over and over on the same salts. During spring time they believe. This will give you highly charged dew salts, which will come in handy down the track. I will draw a picture and send it, once my computer is fixed, just for clarification.

Yes, kiln is almost essential I've learnt, not having one (some people are quite gifted at creating makeshift furnaces out of blowtorches, Bunsen burners, and bricks; I am not one of these people) the other way I've seen successful calcination, was Steve K, using a Bunsen burner, under a steel bowl. Worked better than I thought it would but I believe it still took a long time.

I just poured my copper-vinegar solution (it's been in a har for almost two years) into a tray yesterday and put it in the sun, I now have some of the most beautiful diamond shaped crystals I have ever seen. I intend to use them as seed crystals to build large copper acetate crystals, just for a bit of show-and-tell :)