PDA

View Full Version : Volatile Salts in Cave water

elixirmixer
04-18-2017, 08:41 AM
So I began work on my Quintessense of Honey Elixir, and went to gather some fresh spring water from a local cave. I put it on a gentle distillation and soon noticed what looked a bit like ICE collecting above my boiling water...

Could this be Ammonium Chloride? They are limestone caves so it could be some type of cool carbonate. I'm really not sure....

But I am interested to find out! These crystals, dried into a white sandy powder.

Let me know what you think!

JDP
04-18-2017, 05:01 PM
So I began work on my Quintessense of Honey Elixir, and went to gather some fresh spring water from a local cave. I put it on a gentle distillation and soon noticed what looked a bit like ICE collecting above my boiling water...

Could this be Ammonium Chloride? They are limestone caves so it could be some type of cool carbonate. I'm really not sure....

But I am interested to find out! These crystals, dried into a white sandy powder.

Let me know what you think!

If they are from a limestone cave then they are most likely calcium and/or magnesium minerals (likely carbonates) dissolved in the water. I don't see anything to get so excited here. You seem to be very overenthusiastic even about extremely vulgar operations, like simply removing the ordinary water from an ordinary solution of ordinary minerals.

Kiorionis
04-18-2017, 05:02 PM
I agree with JDP. There's probably also other minerals mixed in.

Also, how do you know they're volatile?