PDA

View Full Version : Copper Tubing Question

Amon
07-06-2017, 02:56 PM
I just got a copper tube and am trying to coil it. So i added table salt in it so that it wouldn't bend inwards. After i made it, i poured water in the tube to get the table salt diluted and flashed out. The issue is a portion of the salt has probably been stuck half way through the tube and as a result i can't remove it by simply adding water. My question now is, could it be that the salt actually reacted with the copper? I will connect a hose to the tube to forcefully push the salt out but i fear that the inside of the tubing might have been altered and therefore unfit to perform distillations.

Schmuldvich
07-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Have you tried using hot boiling water to flush out and dissolve the salt? Or a gun barrel brush? What about alcohol to dissolve the salt?

JDP
07-06-2017, 05:54 PM
Have you tried using hot boiling water to flush out and dissolve the salt? Or a gun barrel brush? What about alcohol to dissolve the salt?

Or also air pressure: hook one end of the copper tubing to an air pump (either electric or manual) and just force the salt + water out.

Amon
07-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Schmuldvich, i did try adding boiling water but it proved ineffective.

JDP, i don't have any air pump that i can fit on the pipe to use effectively.

As a test, i placed a piece of copper tubing in salt water about 3 hours ago and now that i am back i can see a salt has formed around the end of the pipe that was submerged in the water. I will get the fitting to connect the water supply to the tubing tand force the salt out tomorrow and just hope to remove all the salt within the tube.

Axismundi000
07-06-2017, 06:37 PM
My first thought would be to submerge the copper coil in a bucket of fresh water for an hour to try and dissolve the salt.

Ghislain
07-07-2017, 11:48 AM
Copper doesn't react that much with salt, as the pipe is most likely an alloy it quickly forms an oxidisation layer that stops any further reaction.

As Axismundi suggests above, I would suggest submerging the whole pipe in hot water and move the pipe periodically, the salt will want to go into solution with the water osmotically.

Just a thought...good luck.

Ghislain