PDA

View Full Version : Photobucket = CUNTS

Awani
07-07-2017, 09:10 AM
Millions of people have been using Photobucket to host images for free that they post in forums, blogs and personal websites without any profit in mind. This has been going on for 14 years.

Now these cunts want 400 bucks a year. All images posted have been taken off-line. This is ransom/blackmail.

This means that thousands of posts and threads in the forum are mangled. I, and many others, make posts with images. All those posts are now screwed.

I suspect Photobucket to go out of business. The Internet does not seem pleased.

Are you safe because you are using another image hosting site? Are you? I doubt it.

Best thing is to not use images anymore, which is a bit of a blow to the forums.

Personally I don't feel like fixing the URL of the thousands of images I have posted. I've got a lot of interesting projects going on at the monent and basically stuff like this is like a fucking joke to me. Ya Basta!

See you in the cosmos.

:p

Andro
07-07-2017, 10:19 AM
Yes. You bastards :)

However, it seems my own PhotoBucket inserts have not been affected (for now). Apparently, it only happens when you exceed a certain limit (as their phot-o'meter suggests).

Still, I haven't been using them for a while and have been hosting images/documents/etc on my own server instead, where I also host my websites. I do pay for this, but it's A LOT less per year and no one gives me any ransom shit about it.

Another program (for downloading YouTube videos) recently started asking for money. 2 months later, it stopped asking for money :)

The funny thing is, I very often DONATE to "free" sites or programs that I like (if there is such an option). I donate to Wikipedia almost every year, I donated to who knows how many plugins and add-ons for my browser (such as Ad-Block Plus). I don't know how many people actually donate for this "free" stuff, but I personally think it's a much better model for developers and end-users alike.

Awani
07-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Billions of photos have gone off-line. People have started to talk about Photobucket becoming a powerpoint in business school of how to run something into the ground. Suicide.

I am going to fix the logo of the forums later.

Ghislain
07-07-2017, 12:14 PM
I put a lot of my photos on the free webspace allotted to me in my ISP contract, thing is they didn't keep a check on it for years. I have uploaded gigabytes of extra data and NOW they realise. They haven't taken them off, but won't allow me to upload any more. I tried deleting some, but it makes no difference :)

Thing I wonder now is, if I change providers will they all disappear into cyberspace?

I have started using my own paid webspace now.

Ghislain

Schmuldvich
07-07-2017, 03:26 PM
If you haven't realized it yet, this is the new big business model... Open up a free service (Evernote, for example), attract millions of users to your free service, users become "dependant" on said service, decide all of a sudden to charge for the service, make money. I sort of like the idea and do indeed support it. Capitalism FTW! If you don't like it...adapt and/or find an alternative solution.

I do not know the details of the Photobucket decision to charge, but I highly doubt it was an overnight thing. If they did it without any warning, sure, they are complete assholes, but I still support it. It is their service that you have decided to use, and they have the right to change their offered service at any time. I find it hard to believe they did this overnight and feel that they most likely displayed or informed users of this upcoming change at least a day before doing it, and if they did, I fully support the change.

Use Imgur, or as Andro suggested, spend your $50/year (or less!) and use your own website as a host. Photobucket, for example, is doing nothing wrong here. You used their service freely for years, they decided they wanted to make a little money (read: a whole lot of money), and now you're pissed. They owe you nothing. You used their service and now they are changing what they offer. Adapt. Find another service.

Do you really think Google, iCloud, and all these other "free" hosting sites are doing it for you? No! At the end of the day they are not only doing hardcore data analysis on your proprietary information that you upload, but they are also using your work to train AI, which I also fully support. On top of this, they sell your data and information surrounding your data (upload location, time, content, last browed paged before heading to site, etc.) to other companies. It's how people make money.

Awani
07-07-2017, 04:05 PM
As a businessman this is simply bad strategy, and they will loose money instead of making more. It is suicide.

14 years of free service (with option to pay if you want ad-free). And Photobucket had plenty of ads. It is a cunty move regardless of what they are "allowed" to do.

READ: www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919224/photobucket-broken-images-amazon-ebay-etsy-paid-update (https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/4/15919224/photobucket-broken-images-amazon-ebay-etsy-paid-update)

...the photo hosting site quietly introduced a $399 annual fee to users who want to embed images on third party websites...

Photobucket announced in a short blog post that it had updated its terms of service that had begun taking effect from June 20th. Nowhere in the blog post did Photobucket highlight the most important change, which was that it will now cost uploaders $400 a year to insert their photos on another website using direct image links.

It appears some users can’t even download their own photos out of their Photobucket accounts without upgrading.

CUNTS is the word here. Simple as that. It is legal in some countries to fuck children... make it right?

...but I still support it.

Ok, so Schmuldvich... starting Monday you have to pay me 50 USD every month to even be able to read the posts in this forum. Are you on board?

At the end of the day they are not only doing hardcore data analysis on your proprietary information that you upload, but they are also using your work to train AI, which I also fully support. On top of this, they sell your data and information surrounding your data (upload location, time, content, last browed paged before heading to site, etc.) to other companies. It's how people make money.

Oh I don't care about that. Those algorithms are obviously from the Stone Age... I know because they constantly target me with the wrong products because they can't understand by google-skills. I laugh at their petty attempts.

Schmuldvich
07-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Ok, so Schmuldvich... starting Monday you have to pay me 50 USD every month to even be able to read the posts in this forum. Are you on board?

Fuck no. As suggested in my above post, I would adapt.

Which, being that this site means so little to me, I would end up just leaving.

(Btw, I just sent you some money by donating to site again, but please do not put my name under 'Patrons Of The Sacred Art' or share any of my personal information. Thank you)

At the end of the day they are not only doing hardcore data analysis on your proprietary information that you upload, but they are also using your work to train AI, which I also fully support. On top of this, they sell your data and information surrounding your data (upload location, time, content, last browed paged before heading to site, etc.) to other companies. It's how people make money.

Oh I don't care about that. Those algorithms are obviously from the Stone Age... I know because they constantly target me with the wrong products because they can't understand by google-skills. I laugh at their petty attempts.

And with your information they laugh all the way to the bank! The least of their concerns is advertising to you. You are a peon and every purchase you have ever made in your life barely registers even a smidgen in their bank accounts. The real money comes from your data...the real gold that they are after. Data is the new oil of this century.

Which brings me to another point *oh god* **must merge/start new threads now**, the people in power above us do not need any nefarious tactics to get us to give up our information and data. Ever heard of Google Home or Amazon Echo? We, the consumers, buy these things and place them in our homes voluntarily. We are the morons. Have a Facebook? Ever flown in the past 5 years? You are in a database, fully 3D scanned, with full facial, retina, & ear recognition as well. Have you used a smartphone in the past 10 years? Every move you have ever made has been tracked and all of your text messages have been read (again, to improve AI, among other reasons). The future is interesting.

What are you going to do about your Photobucket account and the Alchemy Forums top banner? That banner is so hideous and 2000's-looking, it's about time for a re-design!!! THE GODS HAVE SPOKEN!!! HEED THEIR PRODDING, CHILD!!!

Why do you still have the link in your sig and the banner supporting Photobucket advertising for them (by not removing the banner or the link in your sig) if you think they are such cunts...?

Awani
07-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Data is not as valuable as Coltan. And it does not cause as much suffering. And yes this is a bit OT.

The reason I have not changed anything is because I have got better things to do.

Thanks for donation. And now your personal data is mine. Muhahahaha.

Axismundi000
07-08-2017, 11:27 AM
I just checked my photos are still up so presumably I haven't gone over the limit.

This strategy of running a service and a slash and burn finishing strategy, personally the idea of the so called; long con springs to mind.

Schmuldvich
07-09-2017, 10:30 PM
The reason I have not changed anything is because I have got better things to do.

Here, I spent all day making this for you

http://i.imgur.com/8SR5ZXj.jpg

And here is your signature pizza guy

http://i.imgur.com/xJ8SHDO.jpg

...You're welcome.

Awani
07-10-2017, 07:49 AM
Here, I spent all day making this for you...

No images have been lost, it is simply the links that are broken... and I have to go into the code of the forum and replace the links, and that is what I don't have time for at the moment, because I need to locate where the specific code is and I can't remember since it was almost ten years ago. Also I did not personally design the logo that you whined about either, it was someone in the forum who did that... but looking at these designs you have submitted I must advice you to not quit your day job.

It is not the logo or my signature that annoys me... it is the thousands of posts that I and others have done, and millions of posts all over the Internet, that now look like shit. It was a cunty move by Photofuckit. It is not illegal to be a cunt, but it doesn't mean someone can't be one.

Schmuldvich
07-10-2017, 11:46 AM
Here, I spent all day making this for you

And here is your signature pizza guy

No images have been lost, it is simply the links that are broken... ...looking at these designs you have submitted I must advice you to not quit your day job.

Ah, ok. Thank you for explaining.

For the record, the above post was a complete joke.

The "banner" I made took me approximately 2 and a half minutes to make, and I purposely made it as juveniley pathetic as possible...

Now, your pizza guy on the other hand... He took me almost three whole days to recreate with very little sleep in between. :p

Well, here is the real Alchemy Forums banner

http://i.imgur.com/aM5aMGD.jpg

And here is your signature. Changing your signature back will take you 17 - 20 seconds to do.

http://i.imgur.com/gbCCIrV.gif
http://i.imgur.com/gbCCIrV.gif

Awani
07-10-2017, 01:05 PM
LOL. Thanks.

But the logo will take some time. Already looked and could not locate it in the code. But will fix it later. And I don't mind if someone wants to design a new one.

Visceral
07-15-2017, 10:25 PM
Schum is ultimately correct, and the only permanent solution is crowdsourcing our own photobucket, in the larger picture our own internet, and then hoping we can keep econ/marketing majors from getting in control of it.

It is 100% fucked up and 100% within their rights as owners of the service.

Awani
07-16-2017, 09:25 AM
Like I said before: it does not matter if they can or cannot do it... a cunt is a cunt.

Visceral
07-16-2017, 08:11 PM
I agree. And we can sit and agree forever or we can organize and find a way to crowdsource our own Internet services or we're just gonna have to put up with it because we didn't build it and can't tell them what to do, since they did.

Awani
07-16-2017, 08:23 PM
Yes that's true. However in this particular case I am going to sit back and watch. I organize and "build" too many other things at the moment. But go for it.

Logo is back btw (in case anyone is blind).

Axismundi000
07-18-2017, 11:44 AM
Good to see the Logo back. Most people who were stupid enough to pay the cunts will have done so by now. They will never admit if they got much money but I have a feeling that they will find money falling through their hands due to this. They will be penniless cunts presently I suspect.

Awani
07-18-2017, 01:44 PM
Perhaps they were going down regardless and just wanted to make a quick buck. If you want to pay for such a service there are far better sites than Photobucket... and cheaper.

Schmuldvich
07-18-2017, 04:03 PM
They will never admit if they got much money but I have a feeling that they will find money falling through their hands due to this. They will be penniless cunts presently I suspect.

LOL. Not even! Quite the opposite actually! Confirmed, Photobucket made tons of money by doing this... The company's revenue has DOUBLED since pulling this move.

A few days ago the Denver Post (which is where Photobucket HQ is located) interviewed John Corpus, CEO, and he confirmed that this was an incredibly profitable move for Photobucket. His goal was to turn the online photo-sharing site into a sustainable business and he succeeded!

“There is no way to make 100 million global people happy,” Corpus said in an interview with The Denver Post last week. “It wasn’t an easy decision. When we look at the community we’ve built, which is a great community, we want to make sure we have a sustained path to profitability so that we can continue to take care of this community for years to come.”

Some users understood. Enough have paid the annual fee in the past few weeks to see “our revenue double since we’ve launched this initiative,” he said.

Axismundi000
07-18-2017, 04:24 PM
LOL. Not even! Quite the opposite actually! Confirmed, Photobucket made tons of money by doing this... The company's revenue has DOUBLED since pulling this move.

A few days ago the Denver Post (which is where Photobucket HQ is located) interviewed John Corpus, CEO, and he confirmed that this was an incredibly profitable move for Photobucket. His goal was to turn the online photo-sharing site into a sustainable business and he succeeded!

“There is no way to make 100 million global people happy,” Corpus said in an interview with The Denver Post last week. “It wasn’t an easy decision. When we look at the community we’ve built, which is a great community, we want to make sure we have a sustained path to profitability so that we can continue to take care of this community for years to come.”

Some users understood. Enough have paid the annual fee in the past few weeks to see “our revenue double since we’ve launched this initiative,” he said.

You could be assessing this accurately Schmuldvich and in your usual manner.
They will say this if it were true or not with lots of 'statistical' evidence. I often wonder about these kind of concerns and money laundering with blockchain currencies employed as part of the layering. Just as conjectural as my previous comment I guess.

Awani
07-18-2017, 05:58 PM
It just proves people are gullible. There are far better sites that cost less. Also it is bad business. If they had done this in a different way they could have made much more money, but they didn't because they fail to understand the Internet. Bad karma online is worse than Away From Keyboard.

elixirmixer
08-03-2017, 11:34 PM
This photobucket BS has trashed this site, I am in such a deep remorse for not printing out everyone's threads earlier like i had intended. Im betting that some of you do have some of the more epic threads saved somewhere... could you be a darl and share them with me?

You should sue Photobucket Awani. Bastards.

Schmuldvich
08-04-2017, 02:21 AM
You should sue Photobucket

Again, you have no right to sue. I am guessing you have never owned a business...

A private company can do what it wants when it wants however it wants.

This photobucket BS has trashed this site, I am in such a deep remorse for not printing out everyone's threads earlier like i had intended. Im betting that some of you do have some of the more epic threads saved somewhere... could you be a darl and share them with me?

Your solution is Google Cache & Internet Archive's Wayback Machine