PDA

View Full Version : The God Delusion (Richard Dawkins)

Ghislain
07-13-2017, 09:10 PM
The following video is a documentary by self acclaimed atheist and author Richard Dawkins.

Dawkins can be very insulting to those who do follow a religion so for those who are religious and easily offended I would recommend not watching this video.

I am not an atheist myself and I am only posting this video for discussion.

Is religion the root of all evil as Dawkins is trying to suggest here, does Dawkins have a point to make or is he just a fanatical follower of his own beliefs as he accuses those who follow religion to be...does science hold all the answers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nAos1M-_Ts

This is episode one of a two part series, unfortunately YouTube appears to have blocked the subsequent episode, however it can be seen on Vimeo in the link below.

The Virus of Faith (https://vimeo.com/44086802)

Ghislain

Awani
07-13-2017, 09:24 PM
Religion is not the root of all evil. Gullible sheep are.

:p

Ghislain
07-13-2017, 10:12 PM
I believe there was a time when people needed guidance, and the wise men used religion to control the masses.

The tradition of these religions took hold and today, although not needed, they persist; one reason for this may be power IMO.

Although I am not an atheist I do not agree with organised religion and believe spirituality is a personal journey.

Ghislain

Tiberius
11-25-2018, 12:40 PM
When we studied philosophy at faculty, we were told that it is very difficult nowadays to come up with new ideas in this area because it is hard to put yourself against the ideas of the time. To reform something, you have to wait for those whose ideas predominate because you will be attacked and dismantled by them. I believe Richard Dawkins is just a trend right now and is followed by many just because is cool to be atheist and have a person like him to back you up.

Awani
11-25-2018, 05:19 PM
I actually think Dawkins is kind of "old news" and not at all a trend any more... not sure even if it is cool to be an atheist either... pandeism and pantheism is where it's at... if you wanna be hip.

Florius Frammel
11-25-2018, 06:12 PM
pandeism is where it's at... if you wanna be hip.

Indeed, especially here (according to a lot of posts)!

In pandeism a quantum fluctuation stands at the beginning of the universe:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8d/Expansion_des_Universums.png/300px-Expansion_des_Universums.png

Now "quantum fluctuation" is another word for "vacuum fluctuation".

https://www.weltderphysik.de/typo3temp/_processed_/d/7/csm_20151103_vakuumfluktuationen_illustration-uni_konstanz_e215308075.png

Here what men of science officially know about these:

Empty space is anything but, according to quantum mechanics: Instead, it roils with quantum particles flitting in and out of existence. Now, a team of physicists claims it has measured those fluctuations directly, without disturbing or amplifying them.

and

In 2011, Christopher Wilson, a physicist now at the University of Waterloo in Canada, and colleagues reported in Nature that they had pumped up vacuum fluctuations and turned them into real photons.

Full article:

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/10/physicists-observe-weird-quantum-fluctuations-empty-space-maybe

Does it ring a bell?

Tiberius
11-25-2018, 07:05 PM
Let's say you are sick in a hospital and you have only a few days to live. Doctors cannot save you and they will say to you that, now the problem is in God's hand. They will say that it is possible to be cured, but they dont know how, they only know a few cases where the persons were cured by "miracle", which they cannot explain scientifically. Do you think in that moment it will be a slighly chance that you might attempt a prayer? Would be a 0,000001 chance that you would really think that a miracle can save you ?

Awani
11-26-2018, 12:14 PM
Let's say you are sick in a hospital and you have only a few days to live. Doctors cannot save you and they will say to you that, now the problem is in God's hand. They will say that it is possible to be cured, but they dont know how, they only know a few cases where the persons were cured by "miracle", which they cannot explain scientifically. Do you think in that moment it will be a slighly chance that you might attempt a prayer? Would be a 0,000001 chance that you would really think that a miracle can save you ?

I would probably not be in a hospital in the first place (unless it is for surgery)... hosptials are good for changing parts or stitching stuff together... when it comes to healing a hospital is like a death trap. There are far better places to go than a hospital in my opinion. In fact "prayer" in itself can be very healing.

A miracle simply means "awesome event" or "something of wonder". According to etymology a source of the word "miracle" actually comes from the Sanskrit word for "to smile". Considering the universe is a "cosmic joke" then the very notion that a miracle is a "smile" is beyond perfection.

If I was sick with a deadly disease and I was cured from some "prayer" or something... I would SMILE at the beauty of the cosmic joke that gave me the chance to stick around a bit more... apparently my time had not come yet.

Or if I was not cured and died... I would smile and be grateful for the cosmic joke that I would "die" in such a way at "such a time"... apparently my time was up... that is why it is so important to consider every morning to be the last. Because one day it will be.

Tiberius
11-26-2018, 05:08 PM
I would probably not be in a hospital in the first place (unless it is for surgery)... hosptials are good for changing parts or stitching stuff together... when it comes to healing a hospital is like a death trap. There are far better places to go than a hospital in my opinion. In fact "prayer" in itself can be very healing.

A miracle simply means "awesome event" or "something of wonder". According to etymology a source of the word "miracle" actually comes from the Sanskrit word for "to smile". Considering the universe is a "cosmic joke" then the very notion that a miracle is a "smile" is beyond perfection.

If I was sick with a deadly disease and I was cured from some "prayer" or something... I would SMILE at the beauty of the cosmic joke that gave me the chance to stick around a bit more... apparently my time had not come yet.

Or if I was not cured and died... I would smile and be grateful for the cosmic joke that I would "die" in such a way at "such a time"... apparently my time was up... that is why it is so important to consider every morning to be the last. Because one day it will be.

Its easy to say this and make fun of this so-called "joke" when you are not in this situation but i have witnessed cases like this...that can break a person's spirit, no matter how strong is. Striped out of all your protection given by the knowledge that you accumulate...thinking that you already know the answer to this riddle of life...in that situation you are just a simple beeing that hope for a miracle, maybe from a more powerfull beeing. (call it God, Alien etc)

Awani
11-26-2018, 05:32 PM
Its easy to say this and make fun of this so-called "joke" when you are not in this situation but i have witnessed cases like this...that can break a person's spirit, no matter how strong is.

That may be true. I have, however, personally been in such situations myself... but regardless "the joke is on you/me". LOL.

I am aware that some find the concept of "the cosmic joke" unsettling... some even think the "cosmic joke" is a mean joke or a sarcastic joke... it is not that kind of joke (IMO). Hermes is the "divine trickster", that alone is a clue. The comedian, the stand-up comedian, the court jester... the shaman. Those are all the same in essence, only different depending on culture and era.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Your luggage is another story. - Zen